Notices

Weather

Old 01-08-2017, 05:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Weather

Okay I have no idea where to put this stupid thread so here it is.

Weather. WTF? I live in an area that has winter weather. Some cold, some freezing rain, some snow. Some being the operative word. We have feet of snow. The whole damn city is baffled. Daughter only had school 1 day last week....that's after 2 weeks off. I have 1 shovel. Dogs are totally confused....little feet get all frozen and they just sit down like 'I can't feel my feet, think I'll just die here' and that's after about 3 minutes outside. So it becomes this in and out game until I see them poop. Which is unnatural, watching something poop. Ugh. It disgusts me. I've had to carry both of them in multiple times. Good lord, poop already. They need little snow boots.

So now another foot of snow, more shoveling. I feel all guilty because I have a really bad back and can't maintain my sidewalks. There is so much snow....they can't plow the neighborhoods so literally people are just staying home. My ex hasn't left his house in 5 days...I bring him food. Not his fault, he has a cross over and it simply isn't big enough to get out. Soooo today is more shoveling, more getting groceries for about 6 people. More feeling guilty about my sidewalks. And it doesn't seem the weather people really know what's gonna happen. We could have a quick warm up. If that happens, lordy lordy. So they've declared a state of emergency for flooding. Frozen ground, tons of snow, warm up = house damage. Ugh. I tried fruitlessly to remove some of the snow around my house to no avail. There's just too much. And more snow today.

I love snow. But this just aint the place to get it. Haven't been to meetings. Made it to yoga yesterday but that's a no go today because I have to drive people around.

Grrrr. Sorry. Just had to get that out. I feel better now. Thanks for listening. Maybe I'll invest in another shovel....IF there actually was a shovel to purchase. Rant over. Gonna shovel as soon as the sun shows its face.
Old 01-08-2017, 06:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yah. We got a foot yesterday. Cats are not happy. My big guy wanted to go out on the deck. Stepped in snow up to his shoulder, so that wasn't happening.
Old 01-08-2017, 06:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry for your levels of stress! Winter can be very tough!!!

This year we have only had an inch and a dusting.... so far! I live near DC. But it is frigid out there and my little dog's paws are hurting. I think I need to get him some booties. Oh that would be cute.

Hang in there, I love yoga too and haven't been much but this week is my kickoff! May the weather cooperate
Old 01-08-2017, 07:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

This was the day after Christmas, all done by hand and it's still coming down.... Some neighbors do their sidewalks some don't. Eventually the city plows our sidewalks too but not until after all the street work is done.
Old 01-08-2017, 07:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Wow, that's incredible Frick. How much snow do you have on the ground? Are you in a position to buy a snow blower? They make it fairly easy. I think I read you guys were getting clobbered out west, but I had no idea.

Its funny you mention weather today because I was thinking the same thing, except cold, not snow. We are in a deep freeze, -10 at night, 0 during the day...I hate it. I had to work in the crap for 13 years and now that I don't have to, when it gets around 0 degrees, I clam up. No errands, no "to do" list, no nothing. I hibernate and it makes me grumpy.
Old 01-08-2017, 07:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

frick, do what ya can and let go of the rest.
ya haven't been to meetings, but how about a phone call or 2?
plus, ya came here!
Old 01-08-2017, 09:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by STDragon View Post

This was the day after Christmas, all done by hand and it's still coming down.... Some neighbors do their sidewalks some don't. Eventually the city plows our sidewalks too but not until after all the street work is done.
YES. Mine is more spread out because of my back. My neighbor has piled his up into a huge hill for the kids to sled on.

There is no plowing of the neighborhood streets period, let alone the sidewalks. But the home owners association did do 2 main arteries into our development. But if ya can't get to em.....I can cause I have a big ole 4x4. Thank goodness. I kept it when I bought my hybrid for my daughter to drive.
Old 01-08-2017, 10:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
frick, do what ya can and let go of the rest.
ya haven't been to meetings, but how about a phone call or 2?
plus, ya came here!
Thanks Tomsteve.
I'm actually ok, its more funny (and frustrating) than anything else. I'm just kind of done, ya know?

I haven't been to a meeting since Wednesday. I've been hitting a couple a week but not my usual. I met with my sponsor last week. I'm thinking one more week of schedule upheaval then hopefully things will settle down. If my daughter has another snow day tomorrow I'm going to duct tape her to a wall or something. That will take a lot of duct tape!
Old 01-08-2017, 10:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Juno11 View Post
I'm so sorry for your levels of stress! Winter can be very tough!!!

This year we have only had an inch and a dusting.... so far! I live near DC. But it is frigid out there and my little dog's paws are hurting. I think I need to get him some booties. Oh that would be cute.

Hang in there, I love yoga too and haven't been much but this week is my kickoff! May the weather cooperate
Thanks Juno. I'm ok. Just is what it is. I used to live in Truckee, california (think Donner Party) and we got serious snow. 7 feet drifts were normal. But the city was able to handle it and I didn't have the back issues I have now I hear they are getting huge snow right now.

I ran today but I'll make to yoga tomorrow. And the hot room feels so good in the sub zero temps we've had the last week.
Old 01-08-2017, 10:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Maudcat View Post
Yah. We got a foot yesterday. Cats are not happy. My big guy wanted to go out on the deck. Stepped in snow up to his shoulder, so that wasn't happening.
Haha. Yes my kitty is not a snow fan, or a lawn fan. I don't think he likes the way it feels...so he does a perimeter check. He's pretty cute running across the snow...looks like a big fuzzy bunny. A pissed off bunny.
Old 01-08-2017, 10:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I don't like the frigid cold we're having cause I can't walk the dogs. I don't feel 'right' if I can't walk the dogs.
Old 01-08-2017, 10:08 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
Wow, that's incredible Frick. How much snow do you have on the ground? Are you in a position to buy a snow blower? They make it fairly easy. I think I read you guys were getting clobbered out west, but I had no idea.

Its funny you mention weather today because I was thinking the same thing, except cold, not snow. We are in a deep freeze, -10 at night, 0 during the day...I hate it. I had to work in the crap for 13 years and now that I don't have to, when it gets around 0 degrees, I clam up. No errands, no "to do" list, no nothing. I hibernate and it makes me grumpy.
We have about 2.5 feet right now.....which for us is unheard of. So the whole place just sort of shuts down. Great if you're a kid. We've had the crazy cold too, but only for a week or so. -10-15 at night and 1-5 in the day. Today is in the high teens....a heat wave.

Its going to be a total mess when this melts. Oh well. Hopefully it won't flood my garage...or underneath the house. Ugh.

Stay warm my friend!
Old 01-08-2017, 10:10 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks for everyone's posts. I try not to be a whiner but I just couldn't control myself today

So my daughter's girl scout meeting got cancelled because of closed roads. But now I've been talked into venturing out with several of those same girl scouts for a trip to the record store. God I'm a sucker. Oh well. We'll get food too......stock up for Sherlock tonight!!!! Muahahahaha. That's the show, btw. Its so awesome. Serious Benedict Cumberbatch action...hehe.

Ice rain later! Yay. Have a great day guys.
Old 01-08-2017, 10:15 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Frick, I lived in South Lake Tahoe for many years, you're right about the snow removal being pretty good there, but the amount of snow they get there is pretty crazy. I moved to the PNW and when we get any snow at all everything shuts down. Fine by me. Too many slippery hills 'round here.

I hope you can get a gradual warmup. We had one year when the quick-warm after three feet of snow caused all kinds of damage.
Old 01-08-2017, 10:17 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

something you may want to say to yourself:
we don't have hurricanes
we don't have hurricanes
we don't have hurricanes.
Old 01-08-2017, 10:44 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

We got nailed with snow in connecticut.....we are digging out now .....my husband's snow blower belt snapped......oh well......my little yorkiepoo looks so cute in the snow he likes it!
Old 01-08-2017, 11:37 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Come over to Whiners anonymous any time you feel a whine coming on, Frick. We love to whine about everything!
Old 01-10-2017, 06:32 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
I don't like the frigid cold we're having cause I can't walk the dogs. I don't feel 'right' if I can't walk the dogs.
I know what you mean Least. My whole 'schedule' has been upside down for the last 3 weeks. I know I'm not alone there but it is unsettling.
My daughter has her 5th snow day in a row from school...that's after 2 weeks off. She's as stir crazy as my dogs! Or maybe that's me

My dogs aren't used to this cold. So I let them out to find a place to do their business in all the snow. Their feet get cold so fast, they don't understand so they just lay down in the snow. First time I saw it I'm like "what the heck is he doing?". So sad, shaking and looking confused. I've had to carry my big guy in a couple of times. That's only after a couple of minutes. He's such a dork. I think he's thinking "I can't feel my feet. Think I'll lay down here and die". Duh.
Old 01-10-2017, 06:37 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Frick, I lived in South Lake Tahoe for many years, you're right about the snow removal being pretty good there, but the amount of snow they get there is pretty crazy. I moved to the PNW and when we get any snow at all everything shuts down. Fine by me. Too many slippery hills 'round here.

I hope you can get a gradual warmup. We had one year when the quick-warm after three feet of snow caused all kinds of damage.
I'm in Idaho so we're neighbors. Spent hours yesterday shoveling snow away from the house in the back yard. So proud of myself. Unclogging drains, clearing areas for melt off.

And....its snowing this morning! Grrrrr. But its warming up so it'll melt soon. And I can do it all over again. Yay!

I have lots of cosmetic damage already to the house. Pretty simple stuff. Its that underneath gig I'm worried about. Oh well, not much I can do. Keep shoveling.
Old 01-10-2017, 06:41 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
something you may want to say to yourself:
we don't have hurricanes
we don't have hurricanes
we don't have hurricanes.
Good point. I lived in Hawaii during Iniki. I lived on Maui up Lahaina Luna. Didn't even know about the hurricane. Had no TV, no cell phones at that time. My Mom called me in the AM, woke me up (pretty sure I'd been out late the night before, imagine that) and she said "Are you ok?" "What? Of course I'm ok" "What about the hurricane?" "What hurricane?". On my drive to work (I worked at the Hyatt) I became aware of the hurricane-obviously. Thank god it didn't hit Maui too badly. Poor Kauai got slammed!