Notices

Sleep

Old 01-07-2017, 03:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sleep

Has anyone else found that their sleep is completely out of whack now that they're not drinking? It certainly wasn't quality sleep when I was drinking, but it did have a kind of routine. I would go to bed at 10pm, often earlier, depending on how early I had started drinking! Go to sleep almost instantly, wake up at around 2am (usually thinking ffs, why did I do that again), go back to sleep, then get up at around 8am or so.

Now, I am sleepy all day long - I want a nap 30 minutes after getting up! I just want to be in bed. But then I wake up a bit in the evening, and am still buzzing at midnight.

I guess my body is used to its evening sedative, and isn't sure what to do without it??

Does anyone have any genius tips for getting sleep back on track - or is it just something that will come with time?

The good thing is that I'm sleeping a lot sounder, usually all the way through the night once I am asleep - and fewer nightmares
Old 01-07-2017, 03:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My sleep was totally messed up by booze and sleep aponea, I would usually wake up between 3 and 4 am, really dehydrated, hungover or still drunk. Coming off the booze has helped but I'm still a bit messed up. I think over time it will get back to normal. It has been improving slowly, I am less tired as time goes on.
Old 01-07-2017, 03:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It's normal in early recovery for sleep to be out of whack. Give yourself more sober time and see if it gets back to normal. If not, see your doctor.

I sleep so much better sober. And I wake up feeling good. So much better than the way I used to wake up...
Old 01-07-2017, 03:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The insomnia really sucks, that's for sure. I've tried melatonin and it gets me to sleep, but not for long and I usually end up feeling pretty out of it for 1/2 of the next day. I'm also prescribed a benzo for my anxiety issues that get me to bed for about 4 hours, but I don't want to become reliant on that too much as the last thing I need is to be relying on that for everything.
I just picked up some of that sleepytime tea others have suggested on this site I'm going to give a go with tonight, and if that doesn't work, I have some sleep meds from my doc i'm going to take as a last resort.
Old 01-07-2017, 04:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good for you. For me a really tried to eliminate caffeine from my diet. I also would eat a good meal and really try to relax before bed. I guess about a month in I really started to sleep like normal. At six months I really sleep good. Hang in there it will get better.
Old 01-07-2017, 05:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
2/2016

I have about 11 months sober. My sleep was messed up as well. I slept a lot at first, now I sleep great. I dream too. Alcohol keeps you from REM sleep so you most likely have more dreams too going forward.
Old 01-07-2017, 05:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

As others have said, this is very common, but I know it's annoying. Try to focus on your breathing and to quiet your mind. Do you have a bedtime ritual? This can be very comforting and helpful. Exercise during the day is also important. And, ironically, worrying about not sleeping only makes things worse. I hope you feel better soon.
Old 01-07-2017, 05:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I find myself staying awake longer at night reading and alert but otherwise really happy with my sleep. I've relapsed twice in the past year or so and each time I've gotten sober I've had a few sweaty anxious nights that diminished (improved) over a week or two time period.
When drinking one of the things I missed most was solid quality sleep. It might take a bit but it is a huge upside to sobriety.
Hang in there
Jonathan
Old 01-07-2017, 05:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Unwound View Post
My sleep was totally messed up by booze and sleep aponea, I would usually wake up between 3 and 4 am, really dehydrated, hungover or still drunk. .
Same here.

For years I woke up four, five, six times a night. I never felt rested and lived life like a zombie.

I got a sleep apnea machine 7 months ago and that has helped a lot. I quit drinking 75 days ago and at first I would lay in bed for sometime hours before I could fall asleep. I went to my doctor and got Remeron to help me sleep.
Old 01-07-2017, 06:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi BbB

Wow, I know exactly what you mean! Nowadays I get up in the mornings and am so tired I can barely move. I work out and that gives me some energy for the work day, but once I get home, I'm wiped. I end up on the couch most of the night until bedtime or I fall asleep and then get up and go to bed. I'm hoping this will pass and I'll get my evenings back. I'm starting Day 8 tomorrow so I figure I'm early in the process and still have time for my body to adjust back to normal. Thanks for your post. I have been wondering if I was the only one having sleep issues while sober!

Labgirl
Old 01-07-2017, 07:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by labgirl View Post
Hi BbB

Wow, I know exactly what you mean! Nowadays I get up in the mornings and am so tired I can barely move. I work out and that gives me some energy for the work day, but once I get home, I'm wiped. I end up on the couch most of the night until bedtime or I fall asleep and then get up and go to bed. I'm hoping this will pass and I'll get my evenings back. I'm starting Day 8 tomorrow so I figure I'm early in the process and still have time for my body to adjust back to normal. Thanks for your post. I have been wondering if I was the only one having sleep issues while sober!

Labgirl
You're almost on the same day as me (I'm day 8 today), and sounds like you're going through exactly the same thing! I would like to reduce caffeine, I only have three cups of instant every day, but it'd be interesting to see if I sleep better without it. Might give that a week or two though....giving up alcohol is enough for now!

I fall asleep quickly once I'm in bed; I'm just going to bed much later, because of an evening energy burst, despite feeling knackered all day (my poor body is clearly a bit confused!)