Notices

Going straight edge

Old 01-07-2017, 03:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Going straight edge

Hi everyone, I am glad I found this forum.

I have been going through a big inner shift over the past few months and am ready to have a go at making a clean break from alcohol.

Yes, I am an alcoholic. I have been clearing about a bottle of shiraz every single day for the last several years, not to mention decades of partying before then. Just acknowledging that freaks me out. It has taken me some time to admit this as I am 'high functioning' and alcohol use and abuse is so deeply embedded in my social and professional culture. Having worked in the arts and entertainment industry pretty much all of my life it has almost been something that just 'comes with the territory'. Boozy opening nights, meetings after hours, conferences, concerts, festivals and the rest.

But I call bullsh*t on that! And have been reflecting on the straight edge hardcore punk movement of the 1980's as well as looking to recovered/ing artists who I admire for inspiration. This has been a massive mental shift and is helping A LOT. I am determined to do this and know that I will have a much better quality of life for it.

So far I am 2,544 minutes/42hrs/1.77days dry. Whilst this may not seem like much, I honestly can't remember the last time I had even a one day break. Given I just resigned from my high pressure job - an empowering move which again focuses on my wellbeing, I now have a window of time to just look after my body and not worry about wigging out under stress, so I feel I am well positioned for success.

But I do not expect this to be easy and in fact have had a lot of cravings over the past nearly two days. I am using an app on my phone to log them and am finding it really helpful having a 'sobriety clock' so to speak.

Basically I am here for some support (and offer support where I can of course) as well as stay focused on what and why I am doing this.

Thank you everyone so much for your honest sharing - the struggle is real. And I think you are all pretty amazing even getting as far as this forum.

See you in the threads... X
Old 01-07-2017, 03:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome!
Old 01-07-2017, 03:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Smile Hi

Hi, and welcome Ravenwings.
Old 01-07-2017, 03:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, RavenWings.
Old 01-07-2017, 05:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome. Glad you found us.

Dee's thread about making a plan is a good place to get started if you are ready to think about recovery as opposed to just being 'dry'. Looking after our bodies is great, but alcoholism isn't only physical. 'Our liquor is but a symptom' and just because the alcoholic drinking and physical symptoms are addressed, it doesnt mean our work is done. A dry alcoholic is still likely to be left with their alcoholic thinking and perspective to deal with, and the emotional, mental and spiritual challenges that this presents us with.

I wish you all the best for your sobriety and, hopefully, recovery.
Enjoy walking to the beat of your own drum on your path to inner peace and freedom.

BB

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...y-plans-1.html
Old 01-07-2017, 05:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

No, I am focused on recovery, sorry my use of the term 'dry' was misleading to you.

I have been doing the mental, emotional, spiritual and nutritional work for some time and feel really strong in myself. In fact it was this work that has helped me to get to this point and I have many tools and supports to get through this on those levels.

Thanks for your concern and your message.

Cheers.
Old 01-07-2017, 05:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome Raven! Great job so far! Sounds like you've got the tools you need and have done lots of prep work. You can absolutely do this! Keep posting please.
Old 01-07-2017, 06:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great intro, welcome to SR. Look forward to observing your journey.
Old 01-07-2017, 07:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi, RavenWings. Welcome to SR! I'm glad you found and joined this forum.

I like the positive and reasonable tone of your OP.

Wishing you good health and success!
Old 01-07-2017, 07:40 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
fgo

Welcome Raven,
1.77 days is actually awsome. You sound like you've made up you mind. Maybe join the January class, great support from great people just starting out.
Old 01-07-2017, 08:08 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome aboard ravenwings!
Old 01-07-2017, 09:11 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

"I have been doing the mental, emotional, spiritual and nutritional work for some time and feel really strong in myself."

That's great!
Old 01-07-2017, 09:20 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome, Ravenwings! Good to have you here.
Old 01-07-2017, 09:28 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
waking down

If straight edge has some appeal, you might want to check out Noah Levine's Refuge Recovery website.
Old 01-07-2017, 09:29 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I hope our support can help you stay sober for good.
Old 01-07-2017, 03:53 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome

D
Old 01-07-2017, 04:20 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome, this place really helps.
Old 01-07-2017, 05:35 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

You're never alone, RavenWings. We're here to encourage & support you. Congratulations on making the decision to change your life. We know you can do it.
Old 01-07-2017, 06:07 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Good for you!
I very much like the idea of mixing screaming music and tattoos and loud and brash with clean living and social consciousness/change. It's a way cool combination because it generally doesn't "go together" in society's collective mind. It dispels the stereotypes of tatted hardcores, as well as the stereotypes of people who don't use intoxicants.
Old 01-07-2017, 06:08 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Glad you are here! It's always great to read how different people greet sobriety initially, the hard work is so worth the payout.