Notices

Made it 3 weeks.

Old 01-06-2017, 08:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Made it 3 weeks.

Proud of myself for making it this far, and thanks for all the help from everyone here. When I think of where I was three weeks ago to now I am so grateful.

No more lurching zombie-like, from drinking session to drinking session, no more covering up and no more guilt and depression from drinking. The weekend before I quit I was trying to the family shopping in a supermarket, so tired and hung over I was worried I might actually pass out before I got round. Why I didn't do this earlier is beyond me.

I've realised that net I have a lot less stress now because it always came back the next day along with a load of other stress and guilt about drinking. Seems so obvious now.

I really want to make it a month now, will be the first month in more than 10 years I've spent entirely sober. I've proved I can do a week a at work and maintain my sobriety I don't even know why that seemed so difficult before.

In a better, happier place.
Old 01-06-2017, 09:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Great! Keep it up! I can sure relate to doing the grocery shopping hungover feeling like I might faint or puke before I was done. And the stress - don't miss that, either. The anxiety attacks I was having just kind of melted away. Never thought they were caused by alcohol (or didn't want to admit it) but it's obvious now. Are you in any kind of recovery program? Might help to start up something formal if you aren't in order to maximize the chances of staying sober.
Old 01-06-2017, 09:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

So happy for you Unwound! Very motivational!! Keep it up and glad you're already seeing the benefits of your new sober life!
Old 01-06-2017, 09:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
AA Member

very cool
Old 01-06-2017, 09:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

BRAVO!!!

And the thing is, this is just the beginning. It gets better and better...not perfect, because, you know, life...but better.

Keep on keepin' on!
Old 01-06-2017, 09:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great post and congrats!!!
Old 01-06-2017, 09:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Wow, that's pretty awesome news. Its even more inspiring that you actually "like" it. I believe that is so important. Sounds like you are starting to see things clearly very quickly, congratulations.

I feel very similar to you, I find myself asking myself once in awhile "why did you keep drinking when you knew what was happening to you?" Oh well, nothing I can do about that. Its about today and the future.
Old 01-06-2017, 09:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congrats! That's huge! Right behind you at almost two weeks. Keep going!
Old 01-06-2017, 09:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Unwound View Post
No more lurching zombie-like, from drinking session to drinking session, .
Been there - everyday for 27 years.

Now that I am 74 days sober I feel so healthy - all those years of beating the hell out of my body and mind with toxic liquor. So much misery.
Old 01-06-2017, 09:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Great work on going three weeks. You can get to that month!

Withdrawal was horrible for me because I had awful anxiety attacks and like MLD, I thought I would pass out. Usually when I was walking to the train at the end of the day after work. Once I quit drinking for a month or so, the anxiety just stopped. Once in a while it comes back but never like it was.

Keep going!
Old 01-06-2017, 10:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Here's the weirdest thing about standing in that supermarket though:

You would think I would be worried about having a stroke or liver failure or something but nope: my only real fear was that it would make it obvious that I had a drinking a problem and that would make it more difficult for me to continue drinking!

I need to work out how I am going to maintain this long term, I genuinely don't know what's my next step or if I should just keep going as I am. I suppose I should try another AA meeting or maybe some the alternatives that have been suggested. Gotta get back to making tea.
Old 01-06-2017, 11:15 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Outstanding Unwound! You can make it to a month! I was thinking about your worries about long term comment. I'm hoping by the time we make it to long term sobriety, we won't have to worry about it. You know how to live sober on your own. Plus there's all these articles on SR about plans. Hope that was some help!
Old 01-06-2017, 11:23 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on three weeks sober! Keep going, it gets better.
Old 01-06-2017, 02:51 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

3 Weeks is fantastic Unwound!! Keep it going!!