Notices

What I will miss the most....

Old 01-05-2017, 07:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What I will miss the most....

I was thinking today, as I reflected that I have 15 days sober today, about all the fun and amazing things I will miss from my alcohol addiction. Here is a reference list for when I get totally sick of being sober:

• The debilitating depression, anxiety, and psychotic mood swings will be greatly missed for sure.
• Alcoholic insomnia is such a blast. How will I ever live without it? This sleeping through the night and feeling rested in the morning is for the birds.
• I will for sure miss the craptastic hangovers that left me feeling like death with the only relief being more booze. That sweet relief from the next drink gave me the warm and fuzzies for sure.
• That lovely irritable bowel syndrome was so much fun! Who needs solid poop anyway??
• The swelling, water retention, and puffy face added years to my looks! Just what I always wanted!
• That ridiculously cool high blood pressure though! I will miss the comfort of my heart beating in my ears with the expectation of a stroke any minute. Good times!
• I am really, really going to miss wasting tens of thousands of dollars. Really. What in the world could I possibly do with all that saved money?
• That total lack of sex drive and nonexistent orgasms was an especially good time as well. Ahhhhh…. sweet memories.
• The 60-pound weight gain has made me nice and fluffy. Watching the scale go down is no fun at all. Boring!
• That whole “not being able to function at work” thing though!
• And lastly, I will certainly miss lying to my husband and sneaking around behind his back while drunk driving to get my fix. Oh, what a riot that was!

I have no idea what I will do without these amazing times I had with booze. How can I ever replace all that fun???
Old 01-05-2017, 07:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

This is a great list.

In my experience, stopping the booze doesn't 'cure' IBS, but it sure as heck makes it easier to manage. Unforunately while I no longer drink beer because it triggers my IBS, I still drink cider and occasionally wine, because I am an idiot.
Old 01-05-2017, 07:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ustacallmelola View Post
I was thinking today, as I reflected that I have 15 days sober today, about all the fun and amazing things I will miss from my alcohol addiction. Here is a reference list for when I get totally sick of being sober:

• The debilitating depression, anxiety, and psychotic mood swings will be greatly missed for sure.
• Alcoholic insomnia is such a blast. How will I ever live without it? This sleeping through the night and feeling rested in the morning is for the birds.
• I will for sure miss the craptastic hangovers that left me feeling like death with the only relief being more booze. That sweet relief from the next drink gave me the warm and fuzzies for sure.
• That lovely irritable bowel syndrome was so much fun! Who needs solid poop anyway??
• The swelling, water retention, and puffy face added years to my looks! Just what I always wanted!
• That ridiculously cool high blood pressure though! I will miss the comfort of my heart beating in my ears with the expectation of a stroke any minute. Good times!
• I am really, really going to miss wasting tens of thousands of dollars. Really. What in the world could I possibly do with all that saved money?
• That total lack of sex drive and nonexistent orgasms was an especially good time as well. Ahhhhh…. sweet memories.
• The 60-pound weight gain has made me nice and fluffy. Watching the scale go down is no fun at all. Boring!
• That whole “not being able to function at work” thing though!
• And lastly, I will certainly miss lying to my husband and sneaking around behind his back while drunk driving to get my fix. Oh, what a riot that was!

I have no idea what I will do without these amazing times I had with booze. How can I ever replace all that fun???
Well, when you put it that way, I am wondering why I ever quit!
Old 01-05-2017, 07:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sortofhomecomin View Post
This is a great list.

In my experience, stopping the booze doesn't 'cure' IBS, but it sure as heck makes it easier to manage. Unforunately while I no longer drink beer because it triggers my IBS, I still drink cider and occasionally wine, because I am an idiot.
I have not had a single bout since I quit.
Old 01-05-2017, 07:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

love the list.. do I miss them heck no... go team go..
Old 01-05-2017, 07:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Got a good chuckle out of this. Can relate to about everyone of those things.
Old 01-05-2017, 07:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The one thing I miss the most (not!) is waking up feeling horrible and hating myself.
Old 01-05-2017, 07:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on 15 days sober!
Old 01-05-2017, 07:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

That is a good list.

73 days into sobriety and I feel so much healthier.
Old 01-05-2017, 08:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

We're very happy you're here and not presently experiencing the vicissitudes of chronic drunkenness.

There is nothing about that garbage lifestyle I miss.
Old 01-05-2017, 08:08 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Love this!!! Thanks for posting and congrats!
Old 01-05-2017, 08:45 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Almost five months sober here. Gosh, I really miss the DRAMA...
Old 01-05-2017, 08:52 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Congrats on 15Days and the list Ustacallmelola! The stuff I could add to that list is depressing. The other day I started thinking about the last time I vomited bile or whatever green stuff that was into my sink once or twice a day. I used to do that daily? I guess so. Not missing that.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:07 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm on day 5 and honestly that is spot on.

Also those nights of complete blackouts when you wake up with severe anxiety not knowing what you did or said last night, just looking around the room hoping you're in your own bed. That guessing game was always a laugh and a half!!

Thanks for that list! And congrats on 15 days sober
Old 01-05-2017, 12:26 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ustacallmelola View Post
When you get 'totally sick' of being sober?

That is your Addictive Voice.

Pay close attention to the word choice, and to the pronouns. It didn't even use an "if" there, but instead, a "when" -- practically predicting a struggle, and possible drinking. It also took possession of the pronoun, "I", and attributed ITS sickness of staying sober to you.

Are you going to get sick of being sober, or is your Beast?

Your list, while certainly interesting, is essentially a reminder that drinking 'doesn't feel good anymore' at this point in the game. The AV is implying that if drinking did feel good, it would be party time!

It's always party time to your Beast, though, so if you were to buy into ITS 'drinking doesn't feel good anymore' argument for conditional abstinence, all it would have to do is to convince you that drinking might feel good.

Can you see this?
Old 01-05-2017, 04:09 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

And all those movies I passed out before finishing ... who needs to see the end of a good movie anyway?
Old 01-05-2017, 04:33 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Ahh - those were the days, Usta.

Cleverly written and very helpful.....congrats on your 15 sober days. Proud of you.
Old 01-05-2017, 04:59 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Algorithm View Post
When you get 'totally sick' of being sober?

That is your Addictive Voice.

Pay close attention to the word choice, and to the pronouns. It didn't even use an "if" there, but instead, a "when" -- practically predicting a struggle, and possible drinking. It also took possession of the pronoun, "I", and attributed ITS sickness of staying sober to you.

Are you going to get sick of being sober, or is your Beast?

Your list, while certainly interesting, is essentially a reminder that drinking 'doesn't feel good anymore' at this point in the game. The AV is implying that if drinking did feel good, it would be party time!

It's always party time to your Beast, though, so if you were to buy into ITS 'drinking doesn't feel good anymore' argument for conditional abstinence, all it would have to do is to convince you that drinking might feel good.

Can you see this?
I think she was joking.
Old 01-05-2017, 05:16 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Who let you look at my diary?
Old 01-05-2017, 05:20 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Horn95 View Post
I think she was joking.
He wasn't. I think he is trying to make her aware that this thing is so powerful that often times despite all these reasons it "no longer feels good", in our weak moments, all we need is one reason why it once felt good. Saying this isn't meant to suggest that this is a terrible coping mechanism, it works sometimes, but we need more, because there are going to be times when it is not enough on its own. And that's good advice actually.