Notices

Sleep, or rather lack of

Old 01-02-2017, 09:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sleep, or rather lack of

I initially started drinking as a way to get me to sleep, I've never been a good sleeper and realised that whenever I had a glass of wine or two I fell asleep . Obviously that glass or two turned into a bottle, and then some beer or cider on top only to discover recently that the drinking is causing me to wake up all the time, covered in sweat and not being able to get back to sleep. As I put in my intro post, today is my first day without alcohol and I must confess I am not looking forward to going to bed tonight, in fact I'm dreading it. I don't know what to do, do I just stay awake? I can't lie in bed not sleeping as I get too restless and keep the other awake, its not fair on her as she is working too. What do you guys do? Or is it something I am just going to have to live with for a little while until my brain and body return to normal?
Old 01-02-2017, 09:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Rehydrating to Oblivion.

Hi Joemyles,

Like you, I originally started drinking to help me fall asleep. As with you, it spiralled out of control for me, and I became convinced that I needed a drink to sleep. I would literally plan trips around me having some alcohol straight before I went to bed. When I did first start challenging my drinking, I found that I actually sleep MUCH better without it. Sure, the first few nights were a little tough, until you get into a routine, but if you stick at it, it will come eventually. I now often sleep 6/7 hours a night of restful, sober sleep. Its so much better than passing out and dealing with a hangover the next day!
Old 01-02-2017, 09:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for your reply BBB. I tried sleeping pills many years ago but they didn't agree with me and made me feel a bit funny and spaced out so I'm pretty reluctant to go down that route again! I used to do a lot of cycling and other sports so I gues that thinking of it now I need to find something to make me tired and accept that for a little while longer its going to be tough until I re-adjust. Time to get the bike back out and start putting some miles in, ditch the coffee and get into a routine
Old 01-02-2017, 10:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It took me a couple weeks til my sleep patterns went back to normal. But the sober sleep I get now is so much better than the "sleep" I used to get going to bed drunk.
Old 01-02-2017, 10:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm struggling to sleep too. Hot bath, good book and just grit your teeth and bear if for a few days I think :0/
Old 01-02-2017, 02:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think most people experience some sleeping problems.

I didn't take any meds and gradually my sleep went from nothing to some and then back to a normal pattern. Took about a couple of weeks.

D
Old 01-02-2017, 02:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BringingBackB View Post
Hi Joemyles,

Like you, I originally started drinking to help me fall asleep. As with you, it spiralled out of control for me, and I became convinced that I needed a drink to sleep. I would literally plan trips around me having some alcohol straight before I went to bed. When I did first start challenging my drinking, I found that I actually sleep MUCH better without it. Sure, the first few nights were a little tough, until you get into a routine, but if you stick at it, it will come eventually. I now often sleep 6/7 hours a night of restful, sober sleep. Its so much better than passing out and dealing with a hangover the next day!
I could've written your first three sentences. Thank you!