Notices

Daughter heads back to college today

Old 01-02-2017, 05:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Daughter heads back to college today

Major trigger on the horizon with my only child going back to college after the holidays. Her being out of the house has always meant I could drink into blackout territory without worrying about her finding out. I will not drink today no matter how sad I feel but I may be annoying with relentless posts tonight...apologizing in advance!!!
Old 01-02-2017, 06:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't think anyone here will ever find you annoying .. post as much as you need, whatever it takes to stay away from alcohol!
Old 01-02-2017, 06:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You can do this Munchkin This is just another test of your sobriety and keeping on, keeping on. Your daughter will appreciate when she can call you at any time day or night and talk to you, without you blacked out. You never know when she will need you, so make sure you're always ready to jump when needed.
Old 01-02-2017, 06:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Post as much as you want, Munchkin. There is always someone here who cares and wants to see you succeed.
Old 01-02-2017, 06:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Post away! We are here.
Old 01-02-2017, 06:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Are you still thinking of getting some professional help? I think you mentioned rehab before. Do you know what other support if available in your area? It would be worth researching AA and SMART meetings and the like as well as rehab facilities. You don't have to do this alone.

Keep checking in, reading and posting.

Wishing you all the best for your recovery. BB
Old 01-02-2017, 08:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
EndGame

It's about doing whatever it takes, and many of us fail to take that seriously.
Old 01-02-2017, 08:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Munchkin94 View Post
Major trigger on the horizon ...
Careful about setting yourself up with a reason to drink. You say her leaving is a trigger to drink? You drank when she was home.

Triggers to drink abound. We're alcoholics. We drink. For reasons, or for no reason at all. But when we make the decision NOT to drink, then it is up to us to do everything in our power to uphold that decision.

If posting here does that, post away.
Old 01-02-2017, 12:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Post away Munchkin!
Old 01-02-2017, 12:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think the goal is to find healthy ways to deal with stress and triggers. I hope that you are able to dig deep and come up with some ideas that will help you through this. And, do post as often as you want to tonight.
Old 01-02-2017, 06:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

She left at 5:00 it's 9:00 now and I did not drink. I am heading to bed to get ready to head back to work tomorrow and tackle day 5 strong. Thanks for the advice, support and a few tough love words that hit home! Good night all!!!
Old 01-02-2017, 11:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hope back-to-work goes well. I'm back tomorrow. Kind of dreading it, but know that actually the routine will do me much more good than mooching round at home, plus I do actually quite enjoy my job (shhhh, don't tell them that though).
Old 01-03-2017, 05:39 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I understand. The "empty nest" thing can trigger strong feelings of loneliness. I got drunk on the way home after dropping my first daughter off for college her freshmen year.

That was 8 years ago. I've now been sober close to 7 years, with the help of AA and this website. My life is so much better now.

I took my daughter to the airport a couple of days ago, after she was home for a week for the holidays. She now lives 1000 miles away, but my sobriety is not dependent upon her physical proximity. The thought of drinking after dropping her at the airport never even occurred to me. Working the steps of AA helped to get me here.
Old 01-03-2017, 05:57 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

My youngest just went off to kindergarten in Aug.. Yes, kindergarten!! Triggered some major depression and some daytime drinking (which I rarely drink before the husband gets home). And my oldest is only 10, but I get anxiety thinking about her going off to college in 8 years. Those of us with kids know how quickly they grow up.
For the last 90+ days, I have remained sober. I hope you do too. Things have gotten better and I feel more present and a little less of that motherly guilt.
Old 01-03-2017, 06:31 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Munchkin94 View Post
Major trigger on the horizon with my only child going back to college after the holidays. Her being out of the house has always meant I could drink into blackout territory without worrying about her finding out. I will not drink today no matter how sad I feel but I may be annoying with relentless posts tonight...apologizing in advance!!!
Munchkin
We are here and listening
Old 01-03-2017, 06:47 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
2/2016

I have had friends in college and beyond who would not call after a certain time of night. Or not call at all because their mom was drunk. The kids know. Don't be that mom.

Stay sober, stay present, don't let alcohol destroy your time here with your loved ones.