Notices

Saying hello

Old 01-02-2017, 02:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Saying hello

Hi everyone, I have finally decided to rid myself of alcholol and fortunately found this place just this morning. I originally started drinking to help me sleep, then to make me feel better, then just to get rid of the hangovers. I don't drink during the day but spend the whole day wanting to get home from work so I can open a bottle, forget everything and fall assleep. I'm just so tired and down all the time and the alcohol has been my way of coping. I have slowly come to realise that its the alchohol causing my problems and that I have been using those problems as an excuse to drink. I decided i was going to have a dry january a month ago and was looking forward to it, until of course the time came, I had my last drink last night. I woke up this morning scared, down in the dumps, and nervous but I finally told myself out loud that I'm an alcoholic and need to stop. I'm happy that I've admitted it, but still scared of stopping and feeling a bit down and worried. How did you guys manage to get over the fear and anxiety?
Old 01-02-2017, 03:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Joe

I wish I had a better answer but time and bit of distance from your last drink works wonders, or it did for me.

The support here is pretty awesome too

If it's really debilitating you can always see your Dr for help?

D
Old 01-02-2017, 03:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome Joe! There is a lot of support here when you need it.
Old 01-02-2017, 03:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome, Joe- I've heard so many stories that sound like yours (mine as well). You're in the right place. Don't get hard on yourself! Support will always be here
Old 01-02-2017, 03:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the welcome, I know it won't last and that time will make it better. I'm just finding it a bit scary and looking for ways to combat it. Trying to be positive and look at the good that will come if I can just keep at it one day at a time.
Old 01-02-2017, 04:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Joe; glad you found this wonderfully supportive, encouraging and understanding forum.

Saying goodbye to alcohol was rather daunting but I had reached a point where I was more afraid of a life with alcohol than I was of a life without it.

Giving up alcohol - choosing sobriety and recovery - was one of the best choices that I have made; it has been a life-changing experience. My life is exponentially better now than it was five years ago.

Have a look around the site; give special attention to the 'Stickies' at the top of each forum (especially Newcomer's and Newcomer's Daily Support forums); there is a wealth of information and wisdom in those threads.

Again, welcome Joe.
Old 01-02-2017, 04:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Keep posting, let us know how your doing, how your feeling. Use this site to help your fight.
Old 01-02-2017, 04:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks again guys, reading some of your stories in here is helping. I've also just had a chat with my other half and admitted my problem to her which has helped, she knows I have been drinking but not that it had got to the point where I was hiding bottles and having sneaky drinks. She has just helped me remove the last of the Christmas drink from the house to remove any temptations and the fact that she doesn't really drink will help.
Old 01-02-2017, 04:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Glad you found us and posted.

I found that I needed help to learn diffrent and better ways to deal with all those feelings. For me this took the form of working the 12-step program of recovery with a sponsor, and getting to AA meetings where I could learn from others who understood my thinking because they'd worked through the same thoughts and feelings themselves. Experience strength and hope in AA meetings and from folk on here, along with a good solid plan of recovery helped me find my way. Thing is, it's one thing to GET sober, and another thing to learn how to LIVE sober in a way that is comfortable and sustainable.

Wishing you all the best for your sobriety and recovery. BB
Old 01-02-2017, 04:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey Joe

Welcome! I try to view the first days as if I'm sick (and believe me, I was). The poison is leaving my body and it will take a few days. If you're feeling really lousy you can see your dr for help.

Stay in the moment. Just look at today...not tomorrow or forever. Read and post. Think about a program of recovery to help support your efforts.
Old 01-02-2017, 05:03 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Joe, you will find excellent support here and it's also great to know that you will have a supportive partner. I found that concentrating on something to do with your health, like nutrition or exercise helps in the beginning. Congratulations on taking this step!
Grateful to be sober.
Old 01-02-2017, 05:13 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

It gets easier in time the first day is the hardest, the second day the second hardest etc. The further you go the easier it gets and the more anxiety goes. Some people enjoy going to AA or SMART but Rational Recovery and AVRT has been invaluable for me check it out in the secular section.
Old 01-02-2017, 05:23 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm not feeling unwell as such although my head is still foggy after last night. It's more about being scared to not have alcohol in my life anymore, I have used it for a crutch for too long though. I guess most people will have the very same feelings when they stop drinking and it helps knowing the vast majority get through it. Thanks for the pointers and advice.
Old 01-02-2017, 02:12 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

very common Joe - things will get better

D
Old 01-04-2017, 12:00 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Joe!!