Notices

Day 6 - easing up a bit !

Old 01-01-2017, 12:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 6 - easing up a bit !

Hi,
So today is Day 6 of my withdrawal and I feel slightly (and I mean only SLIGHTLY better - I think). No dry heaves, less shaky but feel MORE anxious and a bit depressed. I have some diarrhoea (sorry for TMI) but can at least eat properly. The overwhelming tiredness seemed to have lifted slightly . The backache is still there but I think it is just a strain and not kidney-related. As long as I keep eating and drinking water and sleeping I think I might be able to see some real improvement shortly. ..
On Tuesday the real challenge will start as my teenage son - who I love but who is my main trigger - comes back from his dads. He has learning difficulties and is very very demanding and has his own issues with cannabis, school truancy etc .. I just hope I don't relapse. I just can't because judging by the severity of this withdrawal , it would kill me. I am having one-to-one daily counselling (by Skype, phone) with a wonderful therapist (recovering alcoholic) who set me on the straight and narrow for 5 months in 2013. Hopefully between that and SR and looking back at these records of this dreadful week, I'll be able to move forwards and not backwards. I need to be there for my son and able to help him move forward too.
I just need more physical energy .. surely by Days 7 and 8 it should return ?
Happy New Year all !
Old 01-01-2017, 01:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Glad to see you have your priorities sorted, and you have made it to day six. The worst of the withdrawal should be behind you, and the rest of your life ahead.

It was about six weeks before I had enough physical recovery to attempt to return to work, and about two years before I had developed a good daily discipline and was able to turn up for work everyday.

It is important to remember the seriousness of the illness you have been suffering from. It kills people, and those it doesn't kill, it makes very sick both physically and mentally. A few dry days will not restore your health in every respect. That will take time and effort, possibly a radical change in outlook.

If you can get on the right path, 2017 could be your best year ever.
Old 01-01-2017, 02:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad you're feeling a little better Icandothis2013

teenage children can be a handful - but I think you can make a commitment not to drink 'over' him or at any situations he might initiate.

There's got to be a better more effective and healthier response than drinking at the problem

If your Skype friend is a trained therapist maybe they have some ideas?

D
Old 01-01-2017, 03:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Glad to hear you're feeling better!
Old 01-01-2017, 04:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your first six days. Be prepared for some ups and downs but it does get better!
Old 01-01-2017, 09:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Day 6 is fantastic, great to hear you're feeling a bit better!!
Old 01-01-2017, 10:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Icandothis, yes. You can. Oh, those days of having a teenager are fresh in my memory. It's hard to maintain a semblance of order when their predictably unpredictable behaviors undermine the day........but it does get better in that regard. I was not sober enough to realize my partying and inaccessibility wasn't helping my stepson. Excellent start you have, congratulations.
Old 01-01-2017, 12:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
AA Member

awesome 6 days!