Notices

Inner Restlessness

Old 12-29-2016, 05:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Lnx

Inner Restlessness

I have always seemed to have a inner restlessness very hard for me to slow down inside, most things I ever do I do quickly even when relaxing, I get everything done so there's nothing to do then start trying to find or think of something to do, my drinking would always be at speed I would basically drink as quick as I could to get wasted, dose anyone identify with this restlessness? Any tips in combating it? Thanks in advance. On my second day today after 1 week binge after over a year sober
Old 12-29-2016, 06:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations on making the right choice! Things will definitely start improving and you will find healthier balances. Welcome to the forum.

I have a very restless mind too, not ever able to fully relax. I'm 2.5 years sober and still struggle with it. Really wish I could meditate, but haven't really made the effort to pursue it with any regularity. I find active meditation suits me better right now, like getting in a zone while exercising or walking. I watch my cat and admire her masterful meditation - enjoying the moment, and lots of good sleep...
Old 12-29-2016, 07:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome! What were you doing to stay sober during that year? Can you get back into it?

The support here can be very helpful. Read and post often, especially if you have the urge to drink. Come here instead so we can talk you out of it.
Old 12-29-2016, 07:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Lnx

Year before

Originally Posted by least View Post
Welcome! What were you doing to stay sober during that year? Can you get back into it?

The support here can be very helpful. Read and post often, especially if you have the urge to drink. Come here instead so we can talk you out of it.
During that year, well at the beginning I had got myself in trouble with the law as a result of my drinking went through the system turned to God and stopped drinking in the hope I would reconcile with my wife but that didn't happen I fell into depression for the 1st time in my life struggled out of it without meds accepted me & wife were over got my life back started feeling ok and picked up in a week I had gone back to how i was drinking before scary stuff, still have resentment towards my wife I know this isnt good and is a no no for an alcoholic I glad I've found this site
Old 12-29-2016, 07:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Lnx, you sound like an organized person.can you Maximize your tendency to organize and make a rndom list of things you want to accomplish, big small whatever. Turns energy into purposeful activities. I got a lot done last year.
Old 12-29-2016, 07:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Lnx

Yes

Thanks Mklove yes its something I've been wanting to do for a while journaling, I've kinda always listed things to do e.g to do list but I think I need to journal and get my positive and negative thoughts down on paper and challenge the negative/destructive someone wrote on this site acceptance is a magic key I like that takes discipline though
Old 12-29-2016, 08:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

My brian still goes at a million miles an hour - I've embraced it now tho - UI got a lot of stuff down each dy.

I changed from being afraid of my thoughts and the speed at which they came, to knowing that I was the guy behind the wheel and there was nothing to be scared of know I wasn't sending myself insane with alcohol and drugs

it takes a little time to make that transition and trust it but I'm sure you can, and will

D
Old 12-29-2016, 10:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good job on day 2
Old 12-30-2016, 12:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Lnx

Originally Posted by Soberwolf View Post
Good job on day 2
Thanks Soberwolf
Old 12-30-2016, 01:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

Anytime
Old 12-30-2016, 02:19 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi LNX,

Welcome! I sometimes struggle to get my mind to slow down as well. There is a specific journaling called bulletin journaling, you may want to look into that. Also, even though mindfulness is a struggle for you it is something worth looking into. You can always start with someth No simeple as breathing for one minute.

Do you have any hobbies, exercise? Both are good ways to activate your body/mind.

Good luck as you venture out to try new things.
Old 12-30-2016, 03:05 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
sober style

I identify strongly with this inner restlessness you speak of, Lnx. Walking has always helped me deal with it, long solitary walks. It is a challenge, this trait. I like to view it as a good thing, a sign I have an active mind that wants to work.
Old 12-30-2016, 03:31 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lnx View Post
I have always seemed to have a inner restlessness very hard for me to slow down inside, most things I ever do I do quickly even when relaxing, I get everything done so there's nothing to do then start trying to find or think of something to do, my drinking would always be at speed I would basically drink as quick as I could to get wasted, dose anyone identify with this restlessness? Any tips in combating it? Thanks in advance. On my second day today after 1 week binge after over a year sober
Sometimes, inner restlessness can be a symptom of our own failure to listen to our inner voice.

Sometimes, we have a calling, a purpose, a dream that lies unrealized because of a thousand 'logical' excuses.

Sometimes, we are a painter or a spiritual leader or a writer or an artist or musician or a mentor or a life-coach or a healer or an explorer..... and for various apparently rational reasons we've pushed the reality of our Selves far down inside.

And sometimes, the result of that pushing down, that denial, is a restless, sometimes-depressive, sometimes chaotic madness that we can't put our finger on.

Sometimes, freedom is as simple as listening to our own voice and then honoring it.

Old 12-30-2016, 04:35 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Restless here too. I make a lot of lists. Somehow I just accepted it through awareness. I work hard and efficient and play hard and efficient. That's me. At times and need to remind myself that I'm okay and to just relax. I've been meditating for a couple of years now and that really seams to help. Good luck and just stay sober.
Old 12-30-2016, 04:42 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

I was just going to say the same thing, cardoon! I make lists. Getting things onto paper and out of my mind works well for me. I am not a journaler...I talk it out. (Usually in the form of prayer).
Old 12-30-2016, 08:54 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Smile

Sometimes, inner restlessness can be a symptom of our own failure to listen to our inner voice.

How cool a thought going into a new year. Harnessing the incessant energy and thoughts into projects is helpful, but neglects to acknowledge my other talents, gifts that are hiding............no wonder I've been feeling out of balance, my inner Van Gogh is trying to appear.......
Old 12-30-2016, 09:46 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Meditation. Mindfulness.

Easy concepts but hard to practice.

Im reading a book right now that offers practical exercises on how to meditate and grow more mindful - an eight week guide.

I think it is actually a crucial element in my recovery plan so I can learn how to be content and peaceful in my sober state.
Old 12-30-2016, 12:16 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Lnx

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post

Sometimes, we have a calling, a purpose, a dream that lies unrealized because of a thousand 'logical' excuses.

Sometimes, we are a painter or a spiritual leader or a writer or an artist or musician or a mentor or a life-coach or a healer or an explorer..... and for various apparently rational reasons we've pushed the reality of our Selves far down inside.

And sometimes, the result of that pushing down, that denial, is a restless, sometimes-depressive, sometimes chaotic madness that we can't put our finger on.

Sometimes, freedom is as simple as listening to our own voice and then honoring it.

Hi FreeOwl
In practical and layman's terms how do we listen to our inner voice and honor it?