Notices

Sleep - too much of a good thing?

Old 12-29-2016, 11:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sleep - too much of a good thing?

Hello soberrecovery friends,

I am five days into recovery and wondering who else has experienced the following two things:
(1) Excessive sweating at night (would do this when drinking too, but I expected it to stop in recovery since I'm not giving my body as much that it needs to purge) and
(2) Excessive sleeping. I am also waking up in the middle of the night, but I expected that. With the excessive sleeping, if it's a vacation day or weekend, I could easily sleep 10 hours and then not even feel refreshed. If it's a work day, I have to drag myself out of bed and then feel sleepy during the day (sleepier than when I was drinking, ironically).

Anyone else experienced these? This may be basic information to some of you, but I've been trying not to do internet searches about these things right now, since recovery has been stressful enough. Also, I will be seeing the doctor soon so I can talk directly to a trusted source.

But I really would appreciate knowing if anyone else has experienced these or is currently experiencing them. And what do you do to cope? Thank you.
Old 12-29-2016, 11:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Five days into recovery isn't very much time for your body to find its own rhythm again. It might take a while for your brain chemistry to settle into sobriety. Until it does, you might keep experiencing stuff like this. I know I did. Took about 4 or 5 months for everything to kind of fall back into place. I know that sounds like a long time, but it's different for everyone. Your body may snap right back into shape.
Old 12-29-2016, 11:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

welcome to SR !!

I am glad you are going to see the Dr. soon.

Congratulations on the 5 days sober.

I always sleep 10 hours or so a night. I always have. I told my doctor she didn't seem concerned. I think I am one of those people who need more sleep then others.

I hope you get to feeling better! 5 days in isn't a long time. Your body will continue to heal for months. it depends on age and how much you were drinking etc. etc.
Old 12-29-2016, 11:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

5 days is not very long.......your body will need a lot more time to continue to heal. right now your body has barely detoxed all the alcohol completely out of your system.

sleep when you can. and if it's 10 hours, so be it. and if that 10 hours is followed up by two naps later in the day, so be it.

night sweats and insomnia can also be telltale signs of natural hormonal changes in women at a certain age.
Old 12-29-2016, 11:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
G-Woman

Excessive sweating is a common symptom in early recovery. Your central nervous system is in a rebound state. For me, it was pretty bad for the first 2-3 weeks. I even get the odd spell now, at 7 weeks.

But if you're ever not sure or it's becoming concerning, check in with your doc.
Old 12-29-2016, 12:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

It's normal & part of the process

You can look it up ?
Old 12-29-2016, 12:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I've been the same way, often times I would be drenched in sweat and would have to change clothes a few times a night. Also erratic sleeping patterns from waking up every couple of hours, to basically not being able to get out of bed.
It will stabilize soon, hang in there!
Old 12-29-2016, 12:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

thank you and response

Thank you everyone! Yes, I could look it up but I'm trying not to do too much of that right now because early recovery is stressful enough, and when you look things up in a certain state of mind, it can get overwhelming. So I'm trying to wait for some of that. From the little that I did see, insomnia seemed to be the main symptom though, so I was surprised and wondering who else actually started sleeping more.

I'm just past menopause, so believe me I'm used to getting too warm at night, but this is different (and much more smelly, sorry if that's TMI). I have been drinking too much wine regularly for many years, so it makes sense that my body needs to reset.

I feel much better and motivated to continue coming here for support. Thank you to all of you, and best to you for your own journeys!
Old 12-29-2016, 12:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

First off, Congrats on 5 days of sobriety! It's a great start. Keep going.

You're still detoxing. It very well could be the alcohol still coming out of your pores. It is also common to have night sweats for up to amonth but as time goes by they will lessen.
Too much sleep or no sleep are both common. Fatigue is an issue for both. Your body is used to the "rush" from the alcohol sugars. Now left without you feel tired and depleted.
These are temporary things and soon you'll be feeling better. Do drink plenty of water to refurbish your system. Eat well. Rest.
You are probably through the worst but these symptoms can linger for a few months off and on.

Let your body heal. It will thank you bigtime.

If anything worries you do check in with a doctor.
Old 12-29-2016, 12:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It was normal for me. I went from vivid nightmares to vivid dreams to normal people type (I guess- I remember some and some nights nothing), serious night sweats (still happens sometimes), and enormous sleep needs. For the first weeks I napped a lot and often it was "sudden onset" and I needed to lie down immediately. I was very (VERY) sick when I quit and my body had to readjust to a whole lot and basically come back to life.

Five days is great, and it is very early- your body will keep healing if you stay sober! Stick with it.
Old 12-30-2016, 07:52 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I posted something similar recently about needing a lot of sleep. I was prepared for insomnia, but not the incessant need for sleep. I was assured by the good people of SR that it's pretty normal. But, if anything becomes concerning do seek medical advise. Congrats on your decision! You CAN do this, keep coming to SR and posting; you'll find so much support here!
Old 12-30-2016, 08:19 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yeah I had the sweating for a few weeks...even during the day when I was awake.

My sleep was bad and I was exhausted all the time.

Today I am 67 days sober and I am sleeping well and feel good most days.
Old 12-30-2016, 03:45 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Grateful!!
Old 12-30-2016, 08:06 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks PurpleKnight and thanks to everyone else again. It gives me a lot of hope to see how things settled down for you all. Onward!