Notices

Hopelessly hopeful

Old 12-28-2016, 07:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hopelessly hopeful

Only 2 days in. Feeling sick and so very tired and trying to hold it together. At 51 my battle with booze has been beating me up since I was in my teens. I've had brief periods of sobriety my longest being 6 months. But that was only because I was in jail for a 3rd DUI. I don't want to do this anymore yet there is a part of my brain that is reluctant to let go and keeps whispering "just once more". I'm tired of feeling tired, cloudy, guilty, etc. I feel like there is no more options for me, I've tried them all.
Old 12-28-2016, 07:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That voice in your brain? We all have it or had it. Tell it, "No." It is your addiction talking, not your healthy rational self.

Welcome. I hope you stick around and use this site to help you gain sobriety.
Old 12-28-2016, 07:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome.

Originally Posted by 4theLuv View Post
I don't want to do this anymore yet there is a part of my brain that is reluctant to let go and keeps whispering "just once more".
That's your addiction, the part of your brain that doesn't care about quitting, doesn't care about the misery it brings to your life.

Here's where you make your stand and tell your addiction, "No, I don't drink. I'll never drink again."

Now do everything in your power to support that decision to quit.
Old 12-28-2016, 07:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. I know the feeling...I'm a little bit older than you & on day 7 AGAIN...I made a plan & I'm sticking to it. I'm done.
Old 12-28-2016, 07:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The greatest thing from my sobriety (celebrated one year yesterday) is that I don't have that foggy, tired, feeling anymore. Everything is so clear and I love it . When I feel the urge to drink I just remember this feeling of clarity that I know I would lose if I drank.

Keep posting here. We are here for you! Congrats on making the decision to sober up. One day at a time (cliche but it's the truth because forever is daunting but one day at a time is doable)

-Leasha
Old 12-28-2016, 07:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You don't have to listen to your Addictive Voice. It can, and will, keep twittering on. You can't shut it up as such, but the longer the time is between now and your last drink, the weaker and quieter it will be. Just don't feed it!!

You say you have tried 'everything'. What does your everything look like? What have you tried so far?

Wishing you all the best for your sobriety and recovery. BB
Old 12-28-2016, 07:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Check this out...

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html
Old 12-28-2016, 07:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I tried one minute, hour, day at a time. Never longer than a day. If I have to think about it, I go, nope, not today.

The days pass, and become weeks and months. Try it. Post here. It helps.
Old 12-28-2016, 07:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

A lot of us have felt we tried everything and nothing could ever work. I felt that way for several years. The truth is I was doing everything right and it would have worked if I had just spent more time doing those things.

I discovered if I spent a long time on this board as well as reviewing my reasons not to drink, first thing in the morning, I wouldn't slip up that day.

However, the thing about this condition is that our minds can slip backward into alcoholic thinking, even when we don't want a drink. Alcoholic thinking is when we're downplaying our alcoholism so that it doesn't feel like we have a big problem that needs to be worked on immediately.

Here's a plan you could try.

1) Accept that you have a serious condition that needs your attention every day.

2) Accept that one drink can lead to more drinks, no matter how convinced you are when you're sober that won't happen.

3) Accept that you can't moderate as moderation will just lead to unplanned urges. (Moderation meaning you decide to only drink every two weeks after handing your keys to someone else. For example.

4) Get an accountability partner you can be honest with, who you report to each day to tell them when you drank last.

5) Spend several hours each day working on this thing. Working on it means coming to this forum to read and write, going to AA meetings or something of that nature. Whatever it is that helps you stay sober on certain days, spend more time doing those things.

No matter how long you stay sober, that does not mean your brain will change so that you can drink normally again. Once a line is crossed, there is NO going back.

Well this is the plan I followed more or less, that finally got me sober.
AA meetings can be very helpful even if you decide not to follow the program and there are many available in most areas. I don't follow the program but go to meetings at least twice a week and they're very helpful, plus gave me new sober friends .

You CAN do this like many others have. Wishing you the best.
Old 12-28-2016, 07:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome to SR 4theLuv
Old 12-28-2016, 11:31 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by 4theLuv View Post
there is a part of my brain that is reluctant to let go and keeps whispering "just once more".
Hey, I have one of those voices, too.
I first remember hearing it in 1986. In 30 years it hasn't told me one true thing. Not one. It is a liar and a thief. It would kill me if I let it.

I quit taking advice from a known liar and my life got a lot better. I highly recommend it.

YOU can do this.
Old 12-28-2016, 02:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome 4theluv

SR really changed things for me - the support and encouragement here is amazing. I used to drink everyday...this year coming (2017) will be my tenth year sober.

Glad you found us!

Change really is possible

D
Old 12-28-2016, 02:10 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome, keep posting
Old 12-28-2016, 04:02 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum 4theLuv!!
Old 12-28-2016, 04:18 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome, The voice in your brain will lead you to drinking time and time again. You don't need to listen to it. There is lots of hope and you can recover.