Husband in rehab

Old 12-27-2016, 08:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Husband in rehab

My husband is in court ordered rehab for 6 months. Been there 3 weeks. We have been married for 20 years. Never spent a night away from each other up until he was arrested.
My problem is that I also have an addiction. He was using pain pills and I knew this for years. Within the last 6 months before he was arrested he started wanting me to do the pain pills a little here and there. The last 2 months he pushed them hard on me and I knew better but did it anyways. He had been using meth as well which was hid from me.
His family already blames me for not telling them. Now I'm alone and no one knowes but me and him that I got a problem too. I got a good job and I will lose it if they find out. Do I just keep trying to stop them by myself until he gets out of rehab and then if I'm still using then get myself help. He told me that he would help me once he is back home. I'm scared.
Old 12-27-2016, 09:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Lonely- welcome. Can you get local support? The alcoholic support system for family members is Al-Anon. There may be a NA program near you. Do not try and do stuff alone. There are lots of threads and people's experiences at SR. Prayers to you and your partner.
Old 12-28-2016, 03:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

No there is no local support. Small town. Everyone knowes our business now that this has happened and they are watching me as well. I'm not a bad person just messed up and let him take control of me and my mind. Bad situation. He thinks god will help me stop. I've tried but withdrawal is really bad. Can't call anyone and say I'm sick like that because they going to know. If I lose my job we lose everything.
Old 12-28-2016, 01:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Could you talk to your doctor about it? Doctors are pretty much required to keep their mouths shut to protect physician-patient confidentiality.
Old 12-28-2016, 02:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Lonely77,

God will help you stop, but he won't do it on his own.

As PuzzledHeart suggested, probably the best bet in your situation would be to consult with your doctor, he can prescribe drugs to help wean you off , ease the withdrawal symptoms and eliminate the illegal aspects of your addiction.

It is a shame that there is no local support program for you and further you are in the odd situation which my daughter was also in......needing both the programs of Nar-Anon AND NA at the same time.

The fact that you recognize that you have an addiction problem and want to rid yourself of it is the first and often the hardest step for an addict to take. You are ahead of the curve!

There are 12 step recovery programs on the web, SR has many recovering addicts who will offer sage advice and recommend sources for help.

God bless you and good luck on your journey.

Keep coming back,

Jim
Old 12-28-2016, 03:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am glad you have found SR. That can be a huge help to you until you can get other help...I second going to a Dr. Most Dr.'s I know will try to help you especially if they can see you are honest and earnest in wanting to kick this.

I don't know how long you've been addicted or how MUCH you have typically used, but how much/how long usually plays a part in how severe initial withdrawals are. It is so worth it to fight the good fight though. I can tell you don't want to be trapped by this anymore and the fact that it is scaring you....well.....that tells you a lot.

You can do it. You really can. Keep reaching out. I believe there is a Power that can be tapped into to help, but you've got to want it and be firmly committed. There is Power on your side.
Old 12-28-2016, 04:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Lonley77. I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure if you're here in the U.S. you can't be fired for seeking treatment for addicition . I believe it's a federal law. But I'm sure there is someone out there that knows more than I do.
Old 12-28-2016, 05:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

If you were running for your life from an ax murderer, you wouldn't care in that particular moment about your job. Only about self preservation. Addiction kills. What's most important here?

I hope you seek the help you need. There's no shame in it. Your life depends on it. Pain pills can lead to street drugs in a flash.

Blessings to you and your husband.
Old 12-29-2016, 07:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Curmudgeon, Electrical Engineer, Guitar God Wannabe

Location: Where the mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the Earth
Lonely...

Welcome to the Board. Others have already said what's needed to be said. What I'd like to add is it is acceptable for you to think in terms of what is best for you. Now that your husband is out of the picture for the near term, what's best for you is to focus on regaining your health. Your life depends on it. Focus on you.

Please keep us posted.
Old 12-29-2016, 09:31 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Please talk to your doctor, detoxing should be done under medical supervision.

You can do this, I promise you that you can.

You think nobody knows, but you might be surprised how many suspect. Don't worry about other people, do the right thing and get help for yourself.

We're all cheering you on.