Rehab and relationships

Old 12-26-2016, 02:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Rehab and relationships

This is my first time posting but I think I am starting to go crazy. My boyfriend left for a rehab at the beginning of the month and all I can read about is how rehab has encouraged others to end their relationships. We have three baby's together and I just keep getting more and more nervous. Hes already talking about a halfway house and then just now on the phone he said he has things he needs to talk about but isnt ready yet... I don't know what to do...
Old 12-26-2016, 04:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Welcome, Luna. Rehabs encourage the residents to stay focused on themselves and their recovery, it is often a matter of life or death. And while they often discourage any "new" relationships in early recovery, most of the rehabs I know encourage mending relationships that already exist, especially when there are children involved.

This may require patience on your part. It may seem selfish after all you have been through. But for him to have time to detox completely, which can take a long time depending on the addictive substance, and to learn new tools to avoid relapse and repeating the cycle, he will have to stay committed to the program and focus on himself.

This may be a good time for you to focus on your own recovery. Coming here is a good start. Also meetings have been what helped many of us here find our balance again and find courage and strength to build better lives.

Take a read around and I think you will find a lot of helpful information. The sticky threads at the top of this forum have a lot of good information.

You are among friends here who understand your pain.

Hugs