Notices

I closed my Facebook...

Old 12-26-2016, 11:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I closed my Facebook...

I decided to go off Facebook for good. I think it contributes to my moods and general negative outlook I have at the moment. I think I subconsciously compare my life with others and it makes me miserable. That and it just provides a bigger platform for me to make an ass of myself. Has anyone else had similar thoughts?
Old 12-26-2016, 11:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I still keep an account but I stopped posting on it once the election started last Spring. I still lurk, and edit/skim, my viewing on FB because I love seeing pictures of my friend's sons and daughters weddings or graduating from college or them on vacation, etc.. I love seeing cute kitty videos. I hated how people too often use FB and other social media to vent their views in the most vitriolic way, in the absence of good manners and respect for others, (and letting myself get sucked into that!).

I just found it too toxic and it was not good for me spiritually, emotionally, and that directly effects my staying sober. IOW, despite that I don't really know your circumstances, I tend to think you made the decision based on some good reasoning. Getting ride of stuff that is not positive to sober living, is always a good thing, even though it can be hard.
Old 12-26-2016, 11:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Way too much drama on there.
I don't miss reading someone posting they are at McDonald's a d seeing a picture of a big Mac
Old 12-26-2016, 11:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm a long-time opponent of FB, where IMO every day is like junior high school all over again, and getting rid of triggers is always a good idea...but you're a smart person...is FB really the problem?
Old 12-26-2016, 11:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I took a break for a good while. Now, I focus on the positive and people I really care about (many less "friends" now). I also ignore the mommy wine etc posts!
Old 12-26-2016, 11:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I guess Facebook isn't the problem - my drinking is. That being said though, I don't think it helps me at all really. I don't have a lot of people I have much in common with on there, mainly old school friends who have their own set of problems too. I was thinking I might set up a Twitter account instead, have it open to the world and make some new connections.
Old 12-26-2016, 12:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I was considering closing mine today, purely as there lots of drinking posts. It makes me feel if they can do it, why can't I? I don't need that this early in recovery.
Old 12-26-2016, 12:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Never had Fakebook, never will.
Old 12-26-2016, 12:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I think Facebook is what I will probably fast from during Lent, since I already gave up alcohol lol

It really does breed negativity in myriad ways.

On the other hand, not having it can make you lonely because let's face it, how often do we pick up the phone and call one another these days?

The art of the thoughtfully written Christmas card, filled with all the highlights from the past year, that's a thing of the past
Old 12-26-2016, 12:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Catch and Release

About 5-6 years ago I deleted my FB account. I was going through a very rough time and drinking. I would be posting really stupid, embarrassing things on FB, such as youtube links to songs I was currently listening to (as if anyone cares). Responding to posts, in what I thought was extremely funny and on-point observations, but were just stupid. The things one does when drunk.

I had the presence of mind to get off FB while my marriage coming apart and me as well. I'm really glad I did that, because I'm sure I would have posted some very embarrassing things as I was in a downwards spiral.

When I was around 5 months sober, I finally thought I had enough self control back, plus I wasn't worried about drunk posting, and I signed back on and reconnected with old friends. If I find a person to be a drama queen, or simply posts endless memes, I just "unfollow" them so their inane newsfeed doesn't affect me. Over this holiday, I have remained off FB because I'm not interested in seeing post after post of how glorious their life is with their families, friends, etc. It gets tedious. I'll get back on after New Years - hopefully, all the stupid memes and resolutions will finally be done.

Anyway - I'd say it's probably a good thing to step away from FB for awhile and when you feel stronger, maybe reconnect and be careful of who you make friends with.

CF
Old 12-26-2016, 12:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BrendaChenowyth View Post
The art of the thoughtfully written Christmas card, ...
The art of a thoughtfully written anything! I so miss doing that and receiving cards, letters, back. I quit when I stopped getting anything returned, I suppose.
Old 12-26-2016, 01:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
EndGame

It's not for everyone.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...ook-depression

Forbes Welcome

The Anxiety of Facebook | Psych Central
Old 12-26-2016, 01:24 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I hate Facebook, Twitter, etc. but part of my job is managing social media accounts and it is easy money.

I have to monitor my client's Facebook accounts and the only way I can do that is by having an account open myself.
Old 12-26-2016, 01:30 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I've felt the same. Esp in early sobriety. But I do have relatives and close friends who now live overseas and it's a good way to keep I touch and hear their general day to day life, and kinda feel close to them somehow, so I didn't want you get rid of it. Things did change about how I use it though.

1) I don't post my personal opinions on my wall for all to see and comment on.

2) I don't up load pics of myself or my day (or my dinner) lol

3) I only add people who I know or who are a positive influence

4) I got rid of 'friends' and pages who are not a positive influence (unless this would create conflict - note *)

5) * people who it would create conflict to unfriend, I have unfollowed, so I don't get subjected to their negativity on my homepage. I also unfollow anyone who is posting personal dramas and turning their wall into the FB equivalent of the Jeremy Kyle Show, regardless of rights or wrongs - it doesn't do my sobriety good to read that stuff.

6) I don't look at it so often as I used to

7) if I'm tempted to post a comment on someone else's picture or status, I ask myself "does it need to be said? Does it need to be said by me? Does it need to be said now?" And if the answer to ANY of those questions is No, then I keep my views to myself. That avoids many unnecessary misunderstandings and conflicts.
Old 12-26-2016, 03:11 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Never seen Facebook. Heard plenty about it but not my thing.
Old 12-26-2016, 04:05 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mattq2 View Post
Never seen Facebook. Heard plenty about it but not my thing.
That is quite a feat these days, I'm impressed.
Old 12-26-2016, 04:07 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I don't like Facebook. It is often called "bragbook" for good reason. On Facebook everyone is a star and everyone's life is perfect. It is like a Christmas letter in electronic form. I find it difficult to see pictures of old friends, who remember me as a drunken fool. So I may lurk at times but I don't post. I think Facebook can make you feel worse about yourself, so probably not a good idea for staying sober.
Old 12-26-2016, 04:11 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I use Facebook quite often. I just unfollowed friends who posted too much political stuff or put up too much drama. I unfriended people who weren't really my friends. Through Facebook I've met so many new friends whom I RUN with and do sober activities. I think Facebook can be what you make it. It took some time to do the clean up but it was so worth it for me.
Old 12-26-2016, 04:12 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jimmyhow View Post
That is quite a feat these days, I'm impressed.
I meant that some what jokingly. I made a decision long ago that social media was something I would avoid.
Old 12-26-2016, 04:15 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I have noticed there are groups on there - recovery groups being among them. I have been tempted to sign up with another account just to join one or two of those...