Notices

Day 400: How I got here....

Old 12-26-2016, 04:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 400: How I got here....

Everyone's addiction is like a fingerprint. We all have very different causes, contributors, genetics, families, life stories, - all are very personal and unique.

But the two things we ALL have in common are a conscious and a subconscious. It was my learning about them that was the #1 major breakthrough in my sobriety. I want to share it here....

The subconscious mind is like a big oil tanker: massive, powerful, difficult to pilot - and hard to stop.

The conscious mind is like a tugboat: small, nimble, easy to navigate and powerful on its own - but no match for an "out of control" oil tanker.

For many years of hard drinking, I was trying to use my conscious mind (tugboat) to control my subconscious mind (oil tanker) and stop being an alcoholic. In essence, I was trying to use willpower.

I failed miserably. Willpower doesn't work.

(Note: If you've ever poured yourself a drink at 5 o'clock, after vowing all day that you'd never do it again, feeling like you're having an "out of body experience" - THAT'S your subconscious mind overpowering your conscious mind. Willpower lost.)

But it was ONLY WHEN I understood this - did I have at the faintest chance at getting sober.

In my opinion, reprogramming your subconscious mind to abstinence is the only way to deal with addictions like alcoholism.

The method(s) you choose is up to you. Meditation, hypnosis, prayer, exercise, CBT, programs, groups, etc.

AA is simply a program of steps, perspectives and rules designed to reprogram your subconscious.

Look at those here on SR who have 30,000, 40,000, 60,000+ posts - this is how they reprogram their subconsciouses.

Any or all of these methods will help you "turn the engines off" of the oil tanker and let your tugboat do its job.

Much love,
Old 12-26-2016, 05:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Old 12-26-2016, 05:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Awesome job on 400 days my friend
Old 12-26-2016, 07:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Excellent work on 400 days
Old 12-26-2016, 07:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)