Notices

For those who are alone on Xmas Eve

Old 12-24-2016, 10:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
For those who are alone on Xmas Eve

Hi, SR friends.

Xmas is a family holiday and is heavily charged with society-conditioned expectations about how it should be spent.

But real life is not about commercials or fairy tales. It can serve us the most unbelievable and unconditional circumstances, relatives, and friends who don't fit into the perfect picture.

And there is most vulnerable category - people who find themselves alone amidst all the Xmas frenzy.

All the emotional tender points start hurting, and old wounds - bleeding. Too much time and room for thoughts who rush out of all the doors previously locked by business of life.

No one around to give a hug, unconditional love, and say that spending Xmas alone doesn't serve as measure of our worthiness.

For us, people in recovery, it can be a huge trigger. Level of pain can be so high that all that matters at the moment is to make it go away.

I want to tell you that you are not alone.

First, you are not alone in being alone. There are lots of people like you and me. We just don't see each other.

Second, there is the entire Universe - sky, snow, ocean, sun, birds, trees, wind. You can breath it, touch it, listen, and let it fill you and take the place occupied by pain.

And, there is SR. Lots of incredible, understanding, non-judgemental, wise, and overall cool people here. You can imagine yourself wherever you want - you are where your emotional heart is.

And today my emotional heart is with SR.

Happy Xmas to all those who are celeberating!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Merry-Christmas-Pictures_1.jpg (70.1 KB, 138 views)
Old 12-24-2016, 10:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

I am doing what I normally do on a Sat. Just feeling more blessed because it is Christmas Eve and I am a Christian.
Old 12-24-2016, 10:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Il be with you for one ! and so will SR can't wait to spend another SR Christmas with you & all our guests, members & friends
Old 12-24-2016, 10:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I like this thread.

And I'll weigh in as well - with a Merry Christmas to all who may open and read this.... to all who may be alone tonight.

You're among family; the family of sobriety. The family of recovery. The family of Love and presence and awareness.

You're a child of the universe that was forged of love and spirit.

You are loved and you are never truly alone.....

stay strong, stay sober.

Old 12-24-2016, 11:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you midnight blue, for the love and kindness. We are all more connected than appearances would suggest. SR is a great reminder of this.

Merry Christmas to all who may read this ... you are not alone.
Old 12-24-2016, 11:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Rehydrating to Oblivion.

Merry christmas to all my friends at SR. We never have to feel alone when we have this place.

Old 12-24-2016, 11:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well said!
Old 12-24-2016, 11:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank yo for the OP, Midnight!

I’ll be alone. I'm pretty much of a recluse so no surprise. Except for my mom calling me, my phone has not even rung for days. I can't wait for Christmas to be over. The hardest thing is remembering past Christmases that were so fun and full of friends.

*you*
Old 12-24-2016, 11:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

yo...word up.
Old 12-24-2016, 11:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Mr

MB my wife, daughter and I am with you.
Sending you a
Old 12-24-2016, 11:47 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Merry Christmas to my SR family. Hope you all have a safe and sober holiday
Old 12-24-2016, 12:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks, Midnight. Well said.
Old 12-24-2016, 12:50 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Nice post Midnight!

I'm alone and will be until mid tomorrow. I called the family in Cali...they are all going to one of my brothers' houses for dinner tomorrow. I'm SOOOOOO infinitely glad I'm not going to be there ! Haha.

So I found the first 2 seasons of 6 feet under at Walmart for 14 bucks.....marathon!

Happy Holidays guys!
Old 12-24-2016, 01:13 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I live alone, but don't consider myself being alone because of my dogs and cats. Their company is all I need to feel loved.
Old 12-24-2016, 01:40 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Do your best

Old 12-24-2016, 01:52 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

My brother stopped by on his way to surprise my Mom and Dad! He flew in from Tucson, AZ to Rockford, Illinois for Christmas. What a wonderful gift for my parents!
Old 12-24-2016, 02:08 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks Midnightblue for the kind words. First Christmas Eve sober in fifteen years or so. I suppose I should feel more lonely than I do but I also feel optimism for next year which makes it better. Merry Christmas SR!
Old 12-24-2016, 02:41 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

My Xmas usually involves visiting relatives in the morning and then spending the afternoon/evening by myself at home, I don't live with anyone.

But it's something I've gotten used to, my own company, plenty of TV, nice food, and I just enjoy the day!!

Great post MidnightBlue!!
Old 12-24-2016, 03:06 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Catch and Release

Hello Peeps:

I'm sitting here with my two dogs, watching some comedy on Netflix. I was hoping not to indulge my sugar monster, but, lost that battle. I was invited out for xmas dinner, thinking it was tomorrow, so have already stuffed myself with crap and I get this text from my friend wondering where I am. Oh well - I apologized for thinking xmas dinner meant xmas day. So, now I have an entire pumpkin pie in my fridge, because I was bringing over the dessert.

Does anyone know if pumpkin pie freezes?

Today is actually not much different than any other days, except I know my family is gathering around their tree and enjoying each other. They live a long way off from me and it's really difficult to get there in the winter. Even when I was married, I was "alone" during these holidays. So - I haven't really enjoyed these holidays for about 30 years now.

So - to everyone on this site tonight and tomorrow - thanks for hanging around and if any of you thinks a drink will make you happier, or less lonely, move that thought aside and remind yourself that you do NOT drink.

Hugs to all.
Old 12-24-2016, 03:10 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

thanks for the post! It made me feel a lot better. I have a bad cold so I haven't been out of the house for a few days. I kinda just feel blahhhh. I am ready to put down the tree and move on to January.