Notices

opening up

Old 12-23-2016, 04:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

opening up

I am an alcoholic. 6 days sober. I am mad (every where society throws alcohol in your face : holidays (yep I was the xmas party drunk in front of boss/coworkers again this year) - being an alcoholic is a very lonely life. My thoughts now are why live anymore. I have lost all respect in myself; lost a lot of friends...feeling very hopeless. I lived in a very abusive marriage for many years and finally HE had enough and we filed for divorce. I secured a wonderful home and was (am) excited about my new life as a divorcee and I do have 2 supportive children (HS) who love me but I wish I could rewind my life.... I just realizied my accountability..I am where I am because of the decisions I MADE. Feeling VERY depressed. Trying to get out of bed to handle the thousand's of responsibilities I have today. It is not like me to write this; I usually forget and forge on, but can't seem to today.
Old 12-23-2016, 04:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Things can sometimes feel a lot more hopeless than they are, especially when you're about to make a huge change in your life.

Have you tried quitting before? How long have you felt drinking was an issue?

I think you've come to the right place to start, I'd take a look around and explore some of the programs/philosophies around quitting. Having some guidelines on what to do next can help shake off that 'hopeless' feeling.

Looking forward to hearing more from you!
Old 12-23-2016, 04:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Ina,

We r different for sure. I had serious mental issues that subsided steadily when ii quit drinking.

Obsessive nature, paranoia, fear, insomnia etc. I was also unsteady while driving and moving around. All of these problems have almost all went away since i quit boozing.

I crave a little, but i remember everything i went through when i reached the end of my drinking days.

It was hard, uncomfortable, for a long time...maybe a year...off and on.

Now it is better. So much better.

I will always remember the hell i dealt w. I am an ex alcohol addict. Booze is poison to me.

Stay clean. It gets easier and better. Never drink again.

Thanks.
Old 12-23-2016, 04:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to Sober Recovery, in a better place. Sounds like you might be ready ro give sobriety a go. How about not drinking just today? Maybe find a meeting? All you need think about is today. We can't undo the past, but it is never to late to make a new start. Many of us have. Peace.
Old 12-23-2016, 04:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome to SR Inabetterplace
Old 12-23-2016, 08:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Glad you are here and posting, that shows that you want sobriety. Although things may seem hopeless right now, sounds like you have lots of good things going as well: two great kids, a home you love, a job... I am sure there are many things to add to this list.

I have seen the words baby steps on this forum several times today, and that is where you start. Make a to do list, and cross one thing off at a time, try to prioritize what needs to be done first.

Glad you are here.
Old 12-24-2016, 02:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Hi Inabetterplace, welcome to SR.

Well done on six days, go for seven.
Old 12-24-2016, 02:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome- how are you this morning? Here's to another sober day for you and all of us.
Old 12-24-2016, 03:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Despite how you're feel9ng, you ARE in a better place.

This is a normal response as we pull away from the haze of booze and begin to encounter emotions, as our addicted brain cries out for its fix.

But not too far off, on the other side of the chaotic peeling away, comes a new way of living that is infinitely better. This is just a step along the way.

Keep sharing, keep sober, keep letting your feelings flow and keep your awareness open.

6 days is a great start. Have you considered AA or another program of in person community?
Old 12-24-2016, 09:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Inabetterplace!!
Old 12-24-2016, 09:14 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You have a job, a home and loving children. All of these are to be treasured, and protected from the negative effects of alcohol. I'm glad you stopped by, and hope you join us for some conversation and inspiration. We truly know - both how hard getting sober is...and how worthwhile it is to make the effort. You can do it!
Old 12-24-2016, 11:39 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yes. That hopelessness. I remember that feeling well.

Why live? Well. .. rather than give up on your life completely, why not give up on your life as an active alcoholic. Then, if after a good solid chunk of sobriety and working on your recovery you still feel the same, then you can always review the situation.

By the end of my drinking I hated me. I hated my life. I hated all my horrible choices. I hated all the ways I'd treated people. I hated waking up every day, and there I was. The person who'd screwed everything up. That horrible, hopeless, selfish, deceitful person. I tried everything to get away from her, but no, she was still there. And then i woke up one day and realised that the only way to sort this out was to kill myself. Or to stop drinking and see what happened. I was at the end of my rope, so it wasn't really much of an option to be honest. Or it didn't feel like one. Do or die.

Yes. This life we're living may be terrible. But we can change it. Not all at once. Just one thing at a time. And the first thing needs to be to stop drinking. Then getting together and working (diligently) on a plan of recovery. And then just by staying sobef and doing the next best thing each hour or so, each day, each week, each month,.. things will gradually get better. Slowly slowly like a tide coming in, so you barely notice it happening until like a beach being covered by the sea, your old life and troubles gradually become manageable, and you can learn to respect and love yourself.

Sure, it's not a quick fix. But it does work. I've done it and I've watched others do it.

Some miracles just happen in slow motion.

Praying for your miracle tonight and wishing you serenity through sobriety and recovery. BB
Old 12-24-2016, 11:55 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
AA Member

Originally Posted by Inabetterplace View Post
I am an alcoholic. 6 days sober. I am mad

you and i the same

i went to aa for help and have a pretty good life today

Old 12-24-2016, 03:29 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you check in again inabetterplace - Merry Christmas

D