Notices

I'm ruining my life...

Old 12-22-2016, 11:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
K66
Sober Date March 19, 2018 *One Day At A Time*

I'm ruining my life...

Uninvited to Christmas unless I go to rehab... But then I'd be in rehab for Christmas... The love of my life... My boyfriend says "No wedges... Only wedgies..." I don't want to loose him... My family or my life... I'm contemplating rehab because it's covered by my work but I'm terrified...
Old 12-22-2016, 11:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

When I was at the point where alcohol was ruining my life, I made those phone calls and got myself help. Everyone around me thought it was the right choice.
Old 12-22-2016, 11:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Which would you rather sacrifice; this one Christmas, or your one blessed life?
Old 12-22-2016, 11:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Do it girl. I am going into rehab Monday. I actually wanted to do it starting Monday but my wife didn't want me to miss Christmas.

In any event, I think logistically it is impossible to do it this weekend through your insurance. Start the process now to get it done ASAP, but tell the loved ones it may not be possible until next week.
Old 12-22-2016, 11:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by K66 View Post
Uninvited to Christmas unless I go to rehab... But then I'd be in rehab for Christmas... The love of my life... My boyfriend says "No wedges... Only wedgies..." I don't want to loose him... My family or my life... I'm contemplating rehab because it's covered by my work but I'm terrified...
Been there. The sooner you start your recovery, the sooner you get your life and family back. Hugs to you. It's only scary making the calls and at first. After that, it's kind of scary leaving. You can do it. Make the phone calls.
Old 12-22-2016, 11:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

oh Dear Heart you have our prayers our wishes and it sounds like you have your boyfriend with Faith and Grace.. do it .. kiddo.. for if you don't this path will turn and not for the better..... my little sister is now in a place that is not allowing even our Mom to visit her in... her mind is going it has had hard left turns in the past.. from so much that life has tossed at her. and she would not accept help........... Please Dear Heart do this for so many reasons...
Old 12-22-2016, 02:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Rehabs a chance not many of us get, I hope you think seriously about it K. Whatever you decide I hope you have a sober happy and safe Christmas

D
Old 12-22-2016, 02:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by K66 View Post
This is a no brainer. Go to rehab. It just might be the best Christmas gift you ever give yourself or the people you love. Personally, I loved rehab. I was scared the first two hours. After that, I realized I was among people who for the very first time in my life really really understood me. Lots of them! It was very eye opening, very positive, and very enlightening. In fact, I learned more about myself in 28 days than I had in the first 44 years of my life. Praying for you!!
Old 12-22-2016, 03:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

K66, if I hadn't gone to rehab, I may not be here today. I certainly wouldn't be posting because I'd have lost my job, ended up homeless and certainly wouldn't have computer or internet access. Rehab got boring at times, but it was only a month, and it was the best thing I've done for myself. Especially if you can get it paid for.

It is absolutely an investment in yourself and your future. Good luck to you!
Old 12-22-2016, 04:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'd say do it. I went inpatient around Christmas 2014 (had stopped drinking but had horrible withdrawal issues) and it was a good experience. It was a 5 day stay since I had already stopped drinking; mostly about starting cognitive behavior training started and get my meds right.

I allowed myself to totally surrender to others during the experience...up to then it felt like I was fighting alone and when I got there, saw lots of people with the same issues I had.

Even today I lean on what I learned there about alcoholism, myself, and how things could've been a lot worse.
Old 12-22-2016, 07:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

This could be the best Christmas gift you ever receive . . .
Old 12-22-2016, 07:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

If you are ready to be sober, it is fortunate you can go to rehab. Becoming and staying sober for the long run is a great gift to yourself...after all sobriety is for you first, it has to be your decision for yourself. I hope you choose to make yourself a priority and take what help is available. Take care
Old 12-22-2016, 10:14 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Going to rehab now may be one of the best decisions of your life. No need to make up excuses like it's a holiday, there will always be one not to go in.
Old 12-22-2016, 10:29 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Sobriety is the best gift I have ever recieved. And what I have learned in recovery more vital to me than anything I learned in 4 years at university.

What a fantastic Christmas Gift. A new life.

You know, fears are just stories that we tell ourselves. "Becoming fearless isn't the point. That's impossible. It's learning how to control your fear, and how to be free from it. That is the point." (Divergent V. Roth).

I really hope that you grasp this opportunity. Sure, it's scary. As much as anything because none of us know who we're going to 'be' sober. But you know, I've never met anyone who's got sober and worked on their recovery to say that they're less happy, or weaker, or that their relationships with others got worse, or that their life has become less manageable with sobriety. Most say the complete opposite.

The fear of failure is a biggie as well. But the most surefire way to fail to get sober is by passing up this opportunity.

You say you'll miss Christmas. Haa. When I was drinking I missed Christmas every year. It was just another day drinking. And it doesn't sound like it'd be a massively good one if you're drinking anyway. Just lonely and drunk.

I hope you'll grab this opportunity with both hands and lean into your fear.
Old 12-22-2016, 11:09 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

One more SR friend saying go to rehab, and yes it will be worth everything you think you're going to miss by going. I went in before Thanksgiving in 2012 and got out a month later. 4 years later ... life is really good again!
Old 12-23-2016, 08:21 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi K66,

How are you doing tonight? I am going to jump behind going to rehab as well. You aren't missing Christmas, you are giving yourself and your family the best possible gift.

Keep us posted on when you are able to start rehab, and if you need to wait until next week, stick close to SR this weekend.

❤️Delilah
Old 12-24-2016, 08:56 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Sometimes we just have to give something a shot if we have a chance to reclaim our lives.

What's the worst that can happen, only everything to gain?!!
Old 12-24-2016, 11:43 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
EndGame

One of the best things I ever did. Not really a decision, though, since I first ended up in detox because I could no longer function on my own. I needed to stop. To stop thinking, to stop talking, and to stop drowning in the mess that I had made of my life. I needed to stop hurting myself and other people.

You might also consider that being in rehab during Christmas could provide added incentive to stay sober once you leave. You'll never have to do it again.
Old 12-24-2016, 11:47 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

It's been a few days since you posted, K66. Praying you received the best Christmas present you could get, and went to rehab. God bless!
Old 12-24-2016, 11:52 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
AA Member

hi k66

worried

prayers