1.5 years later

Old 12-21-2016, 08:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

1.5 years later

I wanted to share a brief update with you all on where I'm at in my "recovery."

I left a very toxic relationship with a heroin addict over a year and a half ago. I found Al Anon and this forum to be a solace and outlet. I was deeply moved and motivated to make my life better. I struggled with codependency, insecurity and horrible insomnia. I was depressed, anxious and ready to change my life--so I did.

A year and a half later, I'm the happiest I've ever been. I am living with my boyfriend (J) in a beautiful apartment. I received a large raise at work for bustin' my butt this year (no more sleepless nights or distractions to prevent me from doing it!) I've lost the extra weight I put on from stress. I'm back to doing yoga and walking every week. My friendships and relationships with my family are dramatically better. Life is really, really good.

What I wanted to share mostly is that I'm going back to school to get my Masters in Social Work (or Psych). Today I signed up for classes at a local community college to get some pre-reqs out of the way. But, I'm beyond excited (and a little nervous) for this career change. I've been working in Marketing for the last 5 years, but I truly feel this is my calling.

If the experience taught me anything, it's to trust my gut. So, that's what I'm doing, I'm taking a leap of faith and listening to my gut!

Hope everyone is well. This forum helped me so much while I was struggling with my ex. Although I don't post often, I do check in and read up on how everyone is doing.

Lots of love,
L
Old 12-21-2016, 09:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Curmudgeon, Electrical Engineer, Guitar God Wannabe

Location: Where the mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the Earth
Atta girl. So good to read this.

Happy Holidays!

Old 12-21-2016, 09:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you Zoso!
Old 12-21-2016, 09:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You're doing great! It's so nice once we move past all their crap and get ourselves back, isn't it?
Old 12-21-2016, 09:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Wonderful update! Keep moving forward!
TT
Old 12-21-2016, 10:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Old 12-21-2016, 11:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hopepraylove View Post
I wanted to share a brief update with you all on where I'm at in my "recovery."

I left a very toxic relationship with a heroin addict over a year and a half ago. I found Al Anon and this forum to be a solace and outlet. I was deeply moved and motivated to make my life better. I struggled with codependency, insecurity and horrible insomnia. I was depressed, anxious and ready to change my life--so I did.

A year and a half later, I'm the happiest I've ever been. I am living with my boyfriend (J) in a beautiful apartment. I received a large raise at work for bustin' my butt this year (no more sleepless nights or distractions to prevent me from doing it!) I've lost the extra weight I put on from stress. I'm back to doing yoga and walking every week. My friendships and relationships with my family are dramatically better. Life is really, really good.

What I wanted to share mostly is that I'm going back to school to get my Masters in Social Work (or Psych). Today I signed up for classes at a local community college to get some pre-reqs out of the way. But, I'm beyond excited (and a little nervous) for this career change. I've been working in Marketing for the last 5 years, but I truly feel this is my calling.

If the experience taught me anything, it's to trust my gut. So, that's what I'm doing, I'm taking a leap of faith and listening to my gut!

Hope everyone is well. This forum helped me so much while I was struggling with my ex. Although I don't post often, I do check in and read up on how everyone is doing.

Lots of love,
L
Oh how great to hear that! I'm so happy for you. These kind of posts help me in trying to keep up the spirit in my misery. Thank you
Old 12-21-2016, 03:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

what a fabulous update on your fabulous life! it was always there....just waiting til you were ready. and now look at you go! BRAVO!
Old 12-21-2016, 04:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

What Anvil said....and a special thank you for coming here and sharing your story and your light. It's stories like this that bring hope to those lost in the darkness today. Life doesn't have to be miserable, we CAN make the changes we need to live the life we want.

Bravo and Merry Christmas! May 2017 be your best year ever!

Hugs
Old 12-22-2016, 07:29 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

How amazing for you!! I recently got dumped by an addict who made me feel insecure and not good enough. I am so happy you found that you ARE good enough and how greatly and positively your life has changed since moving on!