Notices

Nothing changes if nothing changes

Old 12-19-2016, 11:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Nothing changes if nothing changes

Hi everyone,
I first started lurking here back in 2012. I posted a few times, but now I'm here because I need to be accountable. Alcohol has caused me health issues, a car accident and lost friendships but I've kept drinking. Back in August, a old coworker of mine died at 40 due to alcohol. I've thought of her every day since. I kept telling myself I'll quit tomorrow. Well, tomorrow is here. I know this will be hard. My spouse and all my friends drink. But I have to change. I'm stuck in a rut-emotionally, professionally. The time for change is now. Thanks for listening.
Old 12-19-2016, 11:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to the posting side of SR. Youwillfi dlotsofsupport here. Two good places to start are the 24 hour thread, and the December class. In December you will find others who havecomitted or recommitted to sobriety this I think.the 24 hour thread is a great place to check in each day and make the promise of another 24 hours sober.

Glad you are here!
Old 12-19-2016, 11:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome Annalise, as Delilah said there is lots of support here.
We've all been there and are making our way out the other side.
Hang in there, the first week may be rough, but it does get better.
Old 12-19-2016, 11:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Annalise
Old 12-20-2016, 12:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome
Old 12-20-2016, 01:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back annalise

D
Old 12-20-2016, 01:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome. I am pretty new here to. Best wishes to you.
Old 12-20-2016, 07:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Nice to meet you
Old 12-20-2016, 07:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's good to see you back, Annalise.
Old 12-20-2016, 07:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome! I'm pretty new here too. I just made it to a month clean (opiates are my most recent addiction but I'm also an alcoholic). I love the title of your post, it completely sums up my reason for getting clean finally. I was stuck in a never-ending circle of insanity and needed to change for things to change.

With support, you can do it. It's hard work but I know you won't regret it. Take charge and take back your body, mind and soul.

Do you have plans to get support?
Old 12-20-2016, 08:18 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Annalise View Post
Hi everyone,
I first started lurking here back in 2012. I posted a few times, but now I'm here because I need to be accountable. Alcohol has caused me health issues, a car accident and lost friendships but I've kept drinking. Back in August, a old coworker of mine died at 40 due to alcohol. I've thought of her every day since. I kept telling myself I'll quit tomorrow. Well, tomorrow is here. I know this will be hard. My spouse and all my friends drink. But I have to change. I'm stuck in a rut-emotionally, professionally. The time for change is now. Thanks for listening.
Hi annalise
Welcome and keep posting
Old 12-20-2016, 08:22 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

Welcome back Annalise!

You did great Quitting today.
Stay close to SR and Post often.

Just think about the FREEDOM you will now have.
This freedom is the fuel that keeps me sober.
Old 12-20-2016, 08:35 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MidnightRider View Post

Just think about the FREEDOM you will now have.
This freedom is the fuel that keeps me sober.
AMEM!

I never understood how much freedom there would be in sobriety. I always thought there would be less freedom because I wouldn't be 'allowed' to drink and use. But, not relying on a drug or drink for my happiness is the most freeing thing in the world. I can now focus on real, lasting happiness! So wonderful!!
Old 12-20-2016, 08:48 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome Annalise! And thanks for bringing my attention to that "freedom" quote by Midnightrider. I haven't thought about sobriety giving much in the way of freedom before. Little things like being able to drive safely at night or fearing a knock on your door when you're in no condition to answer. Food for thought!
Old 12-27-2016, 04:02 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

So I posted a week ago, determined to quit. Last night, I fell back into the old habits again. I want to hide, but I need to be honest and accountable. I'm at work today, feeling hungover and ashamed. I know where I went wrong. I need to get back on the horse and start again. I'm going to post here everyday and work out a plan.
Old 12-27-2016, 04:41 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

What did you change so far?

Just taking drink out of the equation wasn't enough for me - although I really did think that was how I'd do it. Maybe with a bit of exercise and healthy eating for good measure. After a whilee though, it became evident that i really needed a plan of recovery to make sobriety comfortable enough to be sustainable. I couldn't just throw away my old crutches (alcohol and other compulsive behaviours ) and dance off into the distance. In early sobriety especially, while I was still hobbling, (actually, some days felt more like I was more or less dragging a bloodied and bruised carcass along on stumps) I needed other, new strategies to get me through until I could learn to deal with life on life's terms. And that learning didn't just 'happen' for me, despite the fact that I'm academically a pretty smart cookie (if you're fooled by certificates and grades anyway). I needed to post on here, then read and reread responses; go to meetings and listen; read recovery books; listen to recovery speakers; Pray; Meditate; Change my who, when, where's of my daily existence... and probably other little things that haven't occurred to me just now.

That all might sound a bit much, but I'm not saying that YOU should do all this stuff. I'm just suggesting that when we talk about things changing there are often far more things to pop into our Recovery Pot than is obvious at first.

Have you made a plan yet? Sorry if you've already seen it, but I'll mention Dee's thread about making a plan anyway, just in case you haven't. It's a good un... http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...y-plans-1.html

Things do change if we change things. But we need to be instrumental in that change, and be ready and willing to take action. And its worth bearing in mind that often it's those changes we're most reluctant to make that turn out to be the most fruitful when we finally get desperate enough to do so.

Wishing you all the best for your recovery. BB
Old 12-27-2016, 05:03 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

It does help if you have a recovery plan, Annalise. Have you checked out an AA meeting? They can be incredible sources of support. Peace.
Old 12-27-2016, 11:06 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome back Annalise, you can do this!!
Old 12-29-2016, 02:42 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thanks to everyone for all your support. I haven't checked out AA but I'm reading both the Big Book and Rational Recovery and trying to see which I relate to more. I've also been reading up on the thread on making a plan. Today is day 3. It will be a challenging one-I've got dinner with a friend who likes to drink. I'm not ready to tell the world I quit so I plan to get a soft drink and tell her I have a run tomorrow if she asks why I'm not drinking.