Notices

Pancreatic Failure...?

Old 12-19-2016, 01:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Pancreatic Failure...?

I've posted on here many a time before...

I've been in and out of sobriety (unfortunately more 'out' than 'in' recently).

I had a few tests a few years ago, but due to stress, moving etc. did not read the letter the Doctor sent (due to relocating, there was no follow up).

After a six months of pain in my upper left quadrant, I obtained a copy of the letter which stated the tests (blood, and ultrasound) were suggestive of 'Pancreatic Failure'. (I had not read the letter, as I moved).

I cannot believe it's taken me over three years to read the original letter

Does ANYONE know what this is - I've got a Doctors appointment, but am very, very scared

Thanks x
Old 12-19-2016, 01:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Try not to worry Cassie, take things one step at a time starting with your appointment. We're here for you.

When are you seeing your doctor?
Old 12-19-2016, 02:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's really impossible to us to interpret what that might mean, and it'd be pretty irresponsible of us to guess.

I hope your Dr can set your mind to rest Cassie
D
Old 12-19-2016, 02:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cassie6 View Post
Does ANYONE know what this is - I've got a Doctors appointment, but am very, very scared
Acute pancreatitis is usually a result of heavy alcohol consumption, and chronic pancreatitis usually a result of many years of heavy alcohol consumption. Smoking tobacco further increases the risk.

Pancreatitis sometimes leads to jaundice, which is the "yellow" skin associated with alcoholism. It can heal, sometimes quickly, if not at the chronic stage, but your doctor should be able to give you a more accurate diagnosis. Definitely go to the appointment, and take the letter with you.

In all probability, your drinking days are over, and I can't imagine that your doctor won't tell you this.
Old 12-19-2016, 02:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

That sounds like an excellent reason to get sober for good.
Old 12-19-2016, 04:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have a friend who got acute pancreatitus from drinking. He was in the hospital for a while, but he had other things going on as well. I know he quit alcohol for at least a year...haven't talked with him lately, though I see his pics and posts on Facebook and he looks well. Obviously, none of us are doctors here so I'd listen to what he/she says.
Old 12-19-2016, 04:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

When is your appointment?

The pancreas is one important organ, not only for digestion but also for producing insulin and keeping our blood sugar levels stable. They will probably want to do new tests...be honest with them about your drinking history and that round of tests three years ago, yes?

Knowing for sure what's up is easier than what-ifing and mentally churning about the possibilities, and I say this as a world-class churner.

Sending you a hug.
Old 12-20-2016, 12:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for your replies I feel well physically (I stopped drinking, two days ago, still quite restless at night, but no 'serious' symptoms).

I was on a bottle of wine a day sometimes more, sometimes less - My Doctor does not believe this is a 'problem' and stated most professional people these days drink a bottle a night.

However, three years ago (when I had the diagnosis) I was only on a glass, if that. (I did have the weekly weekend 'binge', which would see me very drunk - but two-three days at most a month).

I did, however, suffer from quite extreme bulimia and anorexia.

I am fully aware I have done this to myself, and that I am my own worst enemy,

Again, thank you for you help x
Old 12-20-2016, 12:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cassie6 View Post
I was on a bottle of wine a day sometimes more, sometimes less - My Doctor does not believe this is a 'problem' and stated most professional people these days drink a bottle a night.
Did your doctor say this before, or after, the six months of pain occurred, beyond the original diagnosis from three years ago?

There is a significant difference in circumstances.
Old 12-20-2016, 12:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Sounds like your doctor might have a bit of a drinking problem? There are no medical guidelines I've ever seen that say a bottle a night is okay, especially for women.

Keep up the good work, glad you're feeling well.
Old 12-20-2016, 12:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

Were always here for you Cassie
Old 12-20-2016, 12:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
quat

Feeling well physically is usually a healthy sign , so glad to hear that
I'm just going to assume that doctor considered himself/herself a professional and then guesstimated out to ' most'.

Last edited by dwtbd; 12-20-2016 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Added /herself, see confirmation bias is catchy
Old 12-20-2016, 12:31 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I went to see my Doctor when I was a my 'worst'. He told me that I was 'making it up' he stated he'd had people in his office with 'real issues' gave me Proprananol, and saw me out of his office.

He stated 'you don't look like an alcoholic to me' (as I have mentioned before I was a model, and I totally appreciate that I perhaps I don't 'look like an alcoholic')

After going to AA, I've seen Lawyers, Medical Professionals, Housewives, Philosophers, Business Men, so I am fully aware that Alcohol does not discriminate.

This was the second Doctor I went to I've asked for further blood tests, scans etc. but they won't do them (if you are in the UK you'll appreciate the cut backs), I'm looking into a private scan now if I can stay off it x
Old 12-20-2016, 02:00 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

don't let bad experiences in the past put you off - bring the old letter if you need to, to get something done Cassie.

D
Old 12-20-2016, 02:14 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Cassie,

Sounds like you have a very good reason to stay sober. I dealt with some health issues last year and didn't feel my doctor was truly paying attention to my symptoms. I requested a new doctor, and ended up figuring out there were some issues with my heart. Don't be afraid to ask for a second opinion.
Old 12-20-2016, 03:00 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I would look for another doc and bring your prior paperwork with you to show your past results. I would be surprised if they would deny giving bloodwork again.
Old 12-20-2016, 04:04 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I had a similar story but it was my liver. I was diagnosed with alcoholic hepatitis, went home with a packet of papers describing the condition, shoved it in a drawer, stopped drinking for a week, continued drinking for another year.

I'll cut to the chase. I got sober, had everything retested a year and a half later and I have the organs of a never-drinker/non-drinker.

My drinking days were over. Your drinking days are over.

If you are like me than you thought wait a minute, what about people who drink for 30 years and never had liver problems or pancreatic problems?

We aren't those people.

Our bodies do immense healing even we remove alcohol.
Old 12-20-2016, 04:18 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Get checked out and ease your mind.

Some people are able to drink plenty and others, little in comparison and be affected by their intake.

A sober life is a better way for those of us that are problem drinkers or alcoholics.
Old 12-21-2016, 03:43 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Best wishes to you. It is not easy in the UK these days with GPs having little time and resource. Once we actually get really ill the NHS is actually usually fantastic in its acute care! Aftercare...well...not quite so good. Anyway, for what it is worth, I would say, do push hard with the GP for him or her to take your concerns seriously. Don't wait to start getting healthy; go for it now - you are already starting that by all accounts, which is great.
I wish you well and really hope that all goes well with your appointment.
Old 01-10-2017, 01:12 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I hope you received an update on your diagnosis, Cassie, but another member just started a thread about her friend dying last night, after being admitted for acute pancreatitis, and it reminded me of this thread.

You may want to read her thread:

Pancreatitis -