Notices

How to help my husband help me..

Old 12-19-2016, 08:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How to help my husband help me..

Any advice on this? He is amazingly supportive and tries so hard to understand my affliction...however, he can have one drink and call it a night and be happy. He just doesn't GET it. He wants to know how to help me in moments of weakness and I have no idea!
What works for you guys?
Old 12-19-2016, 08:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My husband quit drinking before I did, because he wanted to be supportive. He did a lot of research on line. Alanon is a gift to family members. Good luck to you and your husband. It is a blessing he wants to support you. Not everyone is as lucky as us.
Old 12-19-2016, 08:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Living the life

In my early days Mr. Troy went shopping for new drinks for me to try. Perhaps your husband would be willing to go for a walk with you when the cravings hit.
Old 12-19-2016, 08:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

No one can truly understand an alcoholic, besides another alcoholic. He may mean well, but your best form of support would be from others in your shoes such as AA meetings, this forum, and other similar outlets.
Old 12-19-2016, 08:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sarowyn,

My you are a posting machine today!!! Good for you!

I just posted on how to help deal with urges and just came across this post regarding how to get your husband to support your sober recovery.

Sober Recovery has a Forum dedicated to Friends and Family to support those in Recovery....

I would suggest reading through the various topics and when comfortable, talk with your husband to see if he will take an active role in your recovery...

In addition to SR you will come across similiar support groups in programs such as AA and SMART Recovery.

AA and SMART both offer face to face support group meetings, and SMART even has a fairly robust online meeting and tools similiar to a workshop format......

Great that you are taking such a proactive approach in your recovery!

Snarly
Old 12-19-2016, 08:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think the best way for your husband to support you is to check out AlAnon in your area. We also have a forum on this board for Friends & Families. Those are both good choices for him to find support for himself.
Old 12-19-2016, 08:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My wife is not an alcoholic. She tries to help but she thinks anybody should just be able to just stop anytime. I guess there is no way she could understand. In fact I didn't for a very long time. Even after I did understand I still drank for a very long time.
Old 12-19-2016, 09:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
totfit

Personally, the thing that helped me the most was to just let me be. It is really my responsibility. My wife has a glass or two of wine most every night. I have only seen her "tipsy" once or twice in 18 years. I don't know that she got it at first either, but she understands that we are just physically different. What worked out best for me was that she just sees that as my thing to deal with and it is pretty much a non-topic.