Notices

Anxiety and fear

Old 12-18-2016, 06:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anxiety and fear

My anxiety is getting the best of me these days now that I am getting closer to the end of this pregnancy. It's different things that are triggering it. Yesterday, it was an argument with my husband. This morning it was seeing an acquaintance announce the birth of their daughter on FB. My mind goes a million miles an hour. Sometimes, it's so bad that it's crippling. Like I am paralyzed from moving forward, that I am stuck in the misery, like I am in a coma....Sometimes it lingers and sometimes it doesn't. Yesterday was not a good day though. I feel like I was traumatized from all the different emotions. I feel like a bad mom. I can't seem to focus on the present, always playing potential bad scenarios in the future and thinking of my mistakes in the past. I'm sure a part of this is normal in pregnancy; wondering what my baby will look like, wondering if there is going to be anything wrong with him mentally or physically and how on earth am I going to adapt to the big change, etc. But I feel so overwhelmed at the moment. Maybe it's because so much is going on, Christmas being next week, trying to come up with Rent before Jan 1 (cold weather and holidays seem to have slowed us down business wise) and then a baby coming in the near year...There have been a LOT of changes for me (and my husband/kids) this year and I think I have handled it well for the most part. They have all been good changes so far. And I wish my emotions wouldn't get a hold of me. I don't know if it's because I'm still fairly new at being sober, hormones, or just that I am messed up but I hate being stuck in that depressed zone. These are the same feelings and emotions that trigger me to drink; it's just that right now, I know that's not an option (for my baby's sake).
Old 12-18-2016, 06:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Jillian, sending you strength and peace. You do have a lot going on, and sounds like you are doing the right thing reaching out here when feeling overwhelmed. At only 8 months sober and first time through the holidays sober, I don't have a lot of advice to offer except only focusing on today. Stopping your mind (or at least trying to slow it down) from anything beyond the next 24 hours. I hope you can find something that you enjoy doing today and let the rest of the things go.
Old 12-18-2016, 06:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey Jillian

I don't have words of wisdom other than it will work out. I know when I'm overwhelmed I just have to remind myself to stay present, stay mindful and tell myself it will be ok. Mother myself for lack of a better way to put it.

I'm not sure what you've been doing for your recovery other than not drinking. Your last post also had the hint of 'when this is over' or 'I'm not drinking because of the pregnancy'. That really is your addiction loud and clear.

You know where drinking will take you. You've been sober a while now. I hope that you will start a program now that can help you not just stay sober but live well.

Hang in there. It will work out. Provided you don't drink.
Old 12-18-2016, 07:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

you know were always here for you right xxx ?
Old 12-18-2016, 08:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on the upcoming birth of your child. It's very normal to be emotional during pregnancy. It might help to remind yourself that your emotions don't control you. They are just feelings that you experience and you can let them go. I really hope that continue your sobriety after the birth of your baby.
Old 12-18-2016, 08:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am a man and I had severe anxiety during my wife's pregnancy with our only daughter. On top of that we got married and moved in together all in the course of a few months.

All these changes in my life were overwhelming and I was a basket case. I was also drinking a lot at the time. I may have gotten some relief when I was drunk but the anxiety was surely brutal when I was hungover and trying to deal with life.

Just carry on the best you can. Stay positive. Things will all work out.
Old 12-18-2016, 08:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Old 12-18-2016, 09:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

For some, sobriety exposes underlying anxiety, which can be a reason for drinking in the first place. I know this was true for me...alcohol was a great anxiety med...until it wasn't. Then things started to get intolerable and of course all the ill effects of alcoholism hit like a ton of bricks. Late 2014 was truly a nightmare situation due to unrelenting anxiety, sleepless nights and panic. When I got some meds to help and was able to rest, my body was able to heal. Although I have still struggled with drinking, since my anxiety has dialed down a ton, I have never drunk as much as back then.

Great news is that you are sober and starting to build your life without booze! Have you talked to your doctor about your anxiety?

Hang in there!
Old 12-18-2016, 02:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Jillian - I hope this week will be more settled for you. I have found invariably, that 99.9% of the things I worry about turn out ok and what's left I deal with, when the time comes

Happy Holidays

D
Old 12-18-2016, 02:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Prayers to you.