Notices

Holidaze

Old 12-18-2016, 06:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Holidaze

Approaching 1,000 days sober on the 27th this month it's been a long journey this far with many challenges along the way. From experience this is got to be the toughest time of the year for me to continue not drinking or smoking. Last night I went to my girlfriends work Christmas party which I didn't want to go to but she wanted me to go and I told her I would to make her happy. We got there and ate as she drank and her friend got hammered as I watched and everyone danced and continued drinking as I sat in the corner wondering what am I doing here? After 2 and a half years sober I'd think I'd be ok but I wasn't I felt alone I told her I didn't want to come and watch her get drunk but I also told her I wanted her to have fun because it's her work party and she works hard. Either way I'm just better off not attending these things where I don't know any one and everyone is drinking.

It's been a while since I've posted on here I miss you guys though I hope you are all doing well and continuing to fight the battle we face everyday. Since I've got sober working out has become a big passion as well as diet and nutrition and as well as supplementation. It's important to have a vision and goals and a Why? I never used to have them when I was worried about how I was going to get stoned or who was buying the next drink. You start to realize how quick time passes from day to day and week to week and now year to year and you look back and you think crap man all that time I wasted. Now that you have a vision and a goal your time is more spent on that and doing daily tasks to improve towards that goal a lot of times you get in your head and you go ehhh not today I'll do it tomorrow or who cares anyways.

I'm all over the place right now I apologize but just a lot to get off my chest since my last post. Back in January almost a year ago when my 6 year relationship had ended a few months prior and I was back living at my moms house I felt I had hit rock bottom and I cried and prayed for help in the last 11 months since that day I've meet a new girlfriend who doesn't smoke and only drinks on rare occasions like last night. I met a lifelong friend who introduced me to many others as I joined a company called Lifevantage and met like minded people like myself who are into health and fitness and longevity. My problem is though and I have many of them is to not rely on God for when I'm down but to thank him for when I'm up as well. Either way thanks for reading as always this journey isn't over yet and what seems like a eternity is in fact only a lifetime which isn't much we are for a higher purpose I'm still finding mine! Happy holidays to you all!
Old 12-18-2016, 06:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on your recovery, Brad. It sounds like you're doing well.
Old 12-18-2016, 06:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

Hey Brad - first off congrats on 1000 days ! That is so wonderful,

As for party.. You were/are a good guy for going.

Personally I'm with you and I wouldn't do it next time, seems these work parties are more for the employees than their spouses or sig others. Plus if not drinking and not knowing anyone ...what is there to do? But again it was good to support your girlfriend ..

Anyways - you have a great Sunday !
Old 12-18-2016, 06:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Happy Holidays to you, too, and glad you got through your girlfriend,s work party successfully.
Old 12-18-2016, 06:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congratulations on an amazing amount of sober time! :
Old 12-18-2016, 06:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Brad41989 View Post
It's important to have a vision and goals and a Why? I never used to have them when I was worried about how I was going to get stoned or who was buying the next drink. You start to realize how quick time passes from day to day and week to week and now year to year and you look back and you think crap man all that time I wasted. Now that you have a vision and a goal your time is more spent on that and doing daily tasks to improve towards that goal a lot of times you get in your head and you go ehhh not today I'll do it tomorrow or who cares anyways.
This is just the reminder I needed this morning. A reminder as to why I am doing this....I am over 200 days sober and never thought I could do it. Even then, I knew I was wasting my life but didn't know how to get out of it. I never want to go back to obsessing over how I am going to get my next drink. That life was miserable. Thank you for sharing, and for the reminder. Happy Holidays.
Old 12-18-2016, 07:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congratulations Brad & remember SR is open 24h a day 7 days a week through the holidays

have you joined a class of yet ? & come join us in the weekender thread we always welcome new faces
Old 12-18-2016, 09:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Fantastic Brad!!
Old 12-18-2016, 02:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats Brad

I think going to a party where I didn't know anyone would be miserable enough without everyone else being drunk.

I think it's ok to say no to invites to things you know you're going to be miserable at.

D
Old 12-18-2016, 04:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
EndGame

Is there anything else in your life to help you stay sober besides not drinking? I don't think I'm going out on a limb to say that it's true for most people that regular support is crucial, not only for getting and staying sober, but to live a life worth living.
Old 12-19-2016, 04:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I never thought I could either when I was around 200 days to. My ex-girlfriends friend would say oh this is just a phase he's going through He will go back to smoking and drinking eventually but those of the people that don't really know the real you. From time to time I will look back on my post and realize how far I've come and that's one of the many things that keeps me pushing for new horizons
Old 12-19-2016, 04:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

awesome
Old 12-19-2016, 04:51 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Endgame NYC I go to the gym five days a week and talk to my mom probably every other day thinkmy main issue is I'm stubborn but I bought a book recommended by people in the company I joined this summer called "what to say when you talk to yourself" physically im strong but mentally is something I need to work on.
Old 12-19-2016, 09:46 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Congrats on 1000 days! That's amazing! I'm close to my 1 year (dec 27) and these holidays and work parties are tough. You don't want to be the grinch who stops others from being able to have fun but then it seems so unfair that you don't get to have any of the "fun" too.
I think the best way to avoid this is to just politely decline invitations if there is any worry you will feel this way.

Excericse is great for recovery. I really ramped up my running and incorporated strength training and yoga. If I couldn't drink I needed to find another way to get that buzz and exercise is a great healthy high.

Keep up the good work!
Old 12-19-2016, 10:13 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Mr

Well done Brad.
Happy holidays to you too