Notices

Don't be the embarrassing one tonight

Old 12-17-2016, 08:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Don't be the embarrassing one tonight

Tis the season... There are a lot of holiday and group parties going on right now, it is a joyful time to get together and share company. It is also a time of "over-doing it" and for us alcoholics that is a dangerous place to be.

Last night I attended a special dinner for a young man who is one match away from becoming the world champion K1 thai box champion. He recently won an important match. My boyfriend is his strength trainer and has been working so hard with him, we definitely wanted to attend. There were his coach and manager, his sparring partners and some of his gym mates. It was a nice group of people and when we sat down it was very pleasant. The boxer we were celebrating does not drink primarily due to his Islamic faith but also due to the fact that he needs to stay clean and healthy for his training. He and I were not the only ones not drinking, in fact out of 16 people at the table only 5 were drinking. But boy did they drink. As the night wore on it got ridiculous and downright embarrassing.
I was embarrassed for them. They got demanding and rude with the waitstaff, they disturbed nearby tables with their increasingly loud and crude talk, the collection of empty wine bottles on the table kept growing yet they ordered more and more, they started slurring their words and looking glassy eyed and worn out, the humble celebrant faded into the background as the drunks concentrated on their consumption, one guy took a call from his girlfriend and was very unkind to her on the phone- surely there would be a disagreement or fight waiting for him when he got home. It was just a mess, one I don't want to repeat anytime soon.

If you are off to a holiday party or some other get-together tonight, don't be "that girl or guy" !!! Keep it classy.
Old 12-17-2016, 09:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I second that motion
Old 12-17-2016, 09:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

One more good reason for sobriety.
Old 12-17-2016, 09:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Aww. That's sad for the guy who's celebration it was.

I kind of cringed at the description of the drunks making it all about them. I remember more than one time I had to be the loudest, prettiest, smartest, funniest, most shocking one in the room. "Pay attention to meeeeeeeeee!!"

Ugh.

I don't even like being around drinkers any more. I leave (not saying you could have or should have) when someone becomes noticeably drunk. I'm so glad those days are way in the past.
Old 12-17-2016, 09:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

About 30 days in to my sobriety this time I had to go to a wedding and witnessed a few men acting inappropriately. I had to drive my 90 year old date home and get her to bed so I wasn't around for too much shenanigans, but I was glad that I didn't stay any later than I did. lol
Old 12-17-2016, 09:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by Meraviglioso View Post
........ in fact out of 16 people at the table only 5 were drinking.
I love the fact that as alcoholics we can tell ya who drank and who didn't - what they were drinking and how much.

Anthony Hopkins is one of us and has his recorded story online at various AA meetings over the years.

His wife is normal and one day she was drinking wine in their home as they walked around talking. At some point she set her glass down and realized 20 minutes or so later.

I wonder where I left my wine glass?
Oh, it's in the bedroom on the bookcase, second self on the right.

We have alcoholic radar........I think this is among good litmus tests.

I certainly was among those five many times. Of course when I drank, the next day I'd say......everyone was so drunk - all had a great time!
I wondered why no one would call????
Old 12-17-2016, 09:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Living the life

Great post! I'm almost two months sober and one of the main things that I don't miss is waking up wondering if I made an ass out of myself the night before. Whew!
Old 12-17-2016, 09:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Mera, thanks! Yes, I was one of the 5 overdoing it I until I smartly decided to not drink and drive. Then I became the person who drank at home, withdrawing from the parties and celebrations altogether so I could have my own party. Sad and destructive. 2/3 of my stay up all night and party guests made it out alive.
Glad to be sober.