Notices

I want to stop drinking

Old 12-15-2016, 08:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I want to stop drinking

Hello all,

The reason I'm here is mainly to talk about lifestyle changes and strategies required. To cut a long story short I fell into a pattern of drinking too much due to loneliness and social isolation. I'm scared of stopping and I know it will require major lifestyle changes in order to be successful. I would like to talk about strategies to manage my triggers and substitute activities for things that are major triggers.

Although I don’t consider myself an alcoholic or dependent, I am very concerned about my drinking and feel that it’s out of control, and could spiral into physical dependency. I don’t drink every day nor do I get withdrawal symptoms when I stop, I am concerned that I’m on a collision course.

When the lonelinesss is bad, I get very, VERY powerful cravings (or is it just me lacking self-discipline). Even if I’m fully aware of the consequemces, even if I’ve recorded how much I'm drinking it has little to no effect.

Drinking is already having a negative impact on my life; namely my energy levels. I regularly have binges into the night. I don’t get the proper restorative sleep I need. As a result, I’m in a vicious spiral of tiredness, inactivity, lack of motivation, which in turn influences my mood through lack of activity, lack of things getting done, lack of movement towards what I value in life, which in turn drives cravings. This is something I’ve recognised.

What's more concerning is that I've noticed myself building tolerance. I’ve noticed that I need more alcohol than I did last year to get the same effect.

-My fitness regime has packed-up
-it’s perpetuating the cycle of unemployment and avoidance, with implications for my mood and further cravings

I feel I have no-one to talk to about this. I don’t want to wait half a year for counselling, I don't want to have to fork out tons of money to pay for private counselling.

I want to stop completely before it spirals into dangerous territory.
Old 12-15-2016, 08:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
AA Member

hi vulcan and welcome

i go to aa meetings to help me stay sober today

theres a lot of support here on sr

Old 12-15-2016, 08:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sounds to me that you don't like being labeled. I know I don't. So... you have a problem with drinking. You're here, and that's great! Why not try going without for a week, 30 days? and see what happens?
Old 12-15-2016, 09:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Rehydrating to Oblivion.

Hi Vulcan and welcome to SR (love the username btw).

You're certainly in the right place if you want to get sober. Feel free to head over to the 'Class of December 2016' thread. There's a whole bunch of us there all trying to get sober this month. Some are on day 1, some 15, but we all try to support each other as best we can

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...thread-20.html

B
Old 12-15-2016, 10:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Vulcan
Old 12-15-2016, 10:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome Vulcan30! If you're not having too many withdrawal symptoms but seeing the danger signs of alcoholism, I'd quit while you're ahead. A year from now, I doubt you'll regret all that drinking you missed out on. Hope that helped!
Old 12-15-2016, 10:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi, I wouldn't worry about the label because it can confuse the issue. If alcohol is causing problems in your life, then stopping drinking is the answer.

There are many approaches to stopping drinking and recovering, but as you said, lifestyle changes are usually essential. I had to remove some people from my life and that helped me early on. I found that changing daily routine in the very early days helped me a lot. I usually drank in the early evening, so to avoid that I started walking every day and that was a life-changing strategy for me.
Old 12-15-2016, 01:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Vulcan I am in a similar situation. It's painful and scary. You aren't alone, trust me.
Old 12-15-2016, 01:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You sound quite self aware, which will work to your advantage. Look around this forum and you'll find an endless amount of helpful information. Welcome to SR>
Old 12-15-2016, 06:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

We all understand how you are feeling. The first steps are the hardest to take...I had trouble picturing myself going 1 day without a drink...and truthfully...I knew I should stop but I didnt want to...but after 10-15 days away from it I started to feel so much better...and I am not missing out on anything....you can do this!
Old 12-15-2016, 06:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hello, for me as an everyday after work drinker, I had to replace drinking with something powerful and positive especially during that evening time slot. The first few days I was here every night for three or four hours reading and drinking tea. For some reason the stories of recovery forum helped me so much. I think I read every story the first week or so. Gradually I would do other positive things in the evening but was careful that there was no chance drinking would be involved. Things like visit my elderly parents, go to a movie with my wife, or visit non drinking friends. Anything to get through the evening. The one constant for me has been SR . The people here have gotten me through some tough times. It's hard but you will love it my friend.
Old 12-15-2016, 06:30 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's good to have you with us, Vulcan. I was drinking every day when I came here, terrified to stop. I immediately felt welcomed and reassured by this community. I hope you'll feel the same. I'm glad you've made the decision to change your life.