four years later

Old 12-14-2016, 08:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

four years later

Tonight as I write a paper for grad school, I remembered SR. I'm currently in school for my Masters of Social Work and the writing prompt is a reflection on a time we had to ask for help.

Considering I have lived a fairly privileged life as a white, middle class, educated woman, I have been pretty fortunate in my life in terms of needing help. I have never experienced racism. I have never been homeless. I have never been denied access to healthcare. I have never lost a job. I have never gone hungry.

The most pain I have ever been in was during my relationship with my now ex-ABF. I joined SR at age 21, completely isolated and desperate and just needing the wisdom of strangers to tell me I could survive. And I have. It took me over a year after posting here that I was done with the relationship to actually ask for help from my mom. And it took 2 more to finally cut all ties. I haven't spoken to this ex partner in three months officially now. I feel so lonely still. But free. I no longer wake up to a **** soaked mattress. I'm not hyper-vigilant all of the time, or living in a state of constant denial. It is not easy, by any means. I am in therapy, go to occasional Al Anon meetings, have had to learn the hard way repeatedly that I have some VERY deeply rooted trust issues with men. Dating has been an absolute disaster, and now, at 26, I am learning what it's like to be a self sufficient woman. It's lonely. But it's not scary. I am no longer scared that I'll be stuck in a **** hole forever. I guess I just wanted to say thank you to the kind strangers that told 21 year old me that I would be okay. Because you were right.
Old 12-14-2016, 08:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Old 12-14-2016, 09:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

So nice to hear this!

I hope that paper goes well. Keep growing and learning!
Old 12-15-2016, 03:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

therisonlyair.....as a social worker...you will get a chance to help others who are isolated and desperately need support and help!
I want to thank you for taking the time to share this much appreciated "report"!!!

I am proud of you, that, you didn't give up!

Drop by, any time...as there are always others, here, who are needing support.....
Old 12-15-2016, 04:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you for posting this, it will help others who are going through what you have and need to know there is life on the other side.

Good for you!!,
Old 12-15-2016, 04:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A work in progress

So happy to hear you're doing so well! Thanks for stopping by, and congrats on your career choice!
Old 12-15-2016, 08:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm really happy for you - and jealous of your learning some lessons 2 decades earlier than I

High five - and a bright, BRIGHT future to you!