Celebrating Small Milestones

Old 12-14-2016, 11:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Celebrating Small Milestones

No one else but other Codies will appreciate this kind of "growth"......

This is the 1st year I have had a Christmas-Wish List....... E.V.E.R.

Every year, I'm *that girl* - you know the one..... when asked what she'd like for Christmas she says, "I don't know", "Nothing, really....", "I haven't even thought about it....", "I really just don't need anything"..... as a child of an addiction-centric family, I was always caught between too afraid of disappointment to long for things I may never receive or not wanting to ask for something that might cause financial stress for my mom.

But not this year. Nope. This year, I can clearly identify things that would make me happy & that I would be OK with my loved ones spending money on, FOR ME.

After years of putting others ahead of myself so much so that I couldn't even name an item that would bring me joy - this is a MAJOR accomplishment!
Old 12-14-2016, 11:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FireSprite View Post
No one else but other Codies will appreciate this kind of "growth"......

This is the 1st year I have had a Christmas-Wish List....... E.V.E.R.

Every year, I'm *that girl* - you know the one..... when asked what she'd like for Christmas she says, "I don't know", "Nothing, really....", "I haven't even thought about it....", "I really just don't need anything"..... as a child of an addiction-centric family, I was always caught between too afraid of disappointment to long for things I may never receive or not wanting to ask for something that might cause financial stress for my mom.

But not this year. Nope. This year, I can clearly identify things that would make me happy & that I would be OK with my loved ones spending money on, FOR ME.

After years of putting others ahead of myself so much so that I couldn't even name an item that would bring me joy - this is a MAJOR accomplishment!
I've never thought about this!
And awesome on you for making a list and being ok with it.

This is the first year I had a mental list since ..the longest time ever. Never really put thought into how it relates to our recovery. Of course, this is the first year I wasn't asked lol so go figure. But I am going to buy myself my list anyways. When we value ourselves more...we allow ourselves to add our own wants to the Christmas list. Nice thought!
Old 12-14-2016, 11:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

FireSprite, that is awesome! Good for you - you deserve it (all of it!)
Old 12-14-2016, 11:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Old 12-14-2016, 12:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AnvilheadII View Post
That made me laugh, Anvil.

That's wonderful, Firesprite. I hope you get everything on your wish list for Christmas.
Old 12-14-2016, 12:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

HAHA Anvil.

That is B.A. Firesprite!!May all your wishes come true!
Old 12-14-2016, 12:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I just have to ask.

Does any of this involve the Nintendo Classic NES?
Old 12-14-2016, 12:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thousandwords53 View Post
I've never thought about this!
Oh yeah.... I used to minimize EVERYTHING. This old thread on this topic is awesome:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...periences.html

Originally Posted by AnvilheadII View Post
Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
I just have to ask.

Nope! I'm good with the 'ole Atari in the closet.....

But definitely a foot spa. And a new yoga mat. And 10# hand weights since I feel graduated from the 8#'s I got last year.

Thanks all!
Old 12-14-2016, 12:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FireSprite View Post
But definitely a foot spa. And a new yoga mat. And 10# hand weights since I feel graduated from the 8#'s I got last year.
I just want to congratulate you on being at the point where the ways that you choose to reward yourself are ways that will leave you feeling at least as good afterwards as before/during, unlike the overeating/couch potatoing/other unhealthy behaviors that so often pass for "fun" or "rewards." That's no small feat!

Happy, happy holidays, FireSprite!

BTW, I will be thinking of you in your tropical world this weekend--forecast is for -8 Saturday night, a freaking HIGH of -4 on Sunday, and -11 on Sunday night....I bet it's going to be even colder out by firebolt and Yurt, out West!
Old 12-14-2016, 01:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Ugg Honeypig -

-20 degrees this Saturday.

That means the Corgi pees and poops on the sidewalk because his wiener drags in the snow in the yard and it's too cold for that

Thats leaving the water run so the pipes don't freeze.
That's frozen eyelashes and nose hairs in the 10 feet from my front door to my car.
That's WD-40 on your key to unlock the frozen tumblers in your car door.
That is NOT a fun 3 hour drive Saturday AM for our family's 70th annual Xmas party.
That is pizza delivery, hot tea, a wood burning stove, and a wool bodysuit - in a perfect world

Stay warm my friends!
Old 12-14-2016, 01:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by honeypig View Post
I just want to congratulate you on being at the point where the ways that you choose to reward yourself are ways that will leave you feeling at least as good afterwards as before/during, unlike the overeating/couch potatoing/other unhealthy behaviors that so often pass for "fun" or "rewards." That's no small feat!
Hey.... yeah! Look at me go! iRock

Geeeez, stay warm friends....... I cannot even imagine those temps. Well, I can with fire's great description & it sounds like No Fun At All.

I'll spare you the local forecast for the same days, suffice it to say that DD keeps hoping it'll get cold enough to wear pants (not shorts) soon.
Old 12-14-2016, 01:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I just have to ask.

Anvil to the IT Helpdesk: yeah, it looks like i'll be needing a new keyboard - i think the janitor dumped a whole cup of coffee in mine or something...........

Old 12-14-2016, 02:03 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

F/s

milestones are so important- don't seem much to some, but they are.
Old 12-14-2016, 07:20 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by honeypig View Post
BTW, I will be thinking of you in your tropical world this weekend--forecast is for -8 Saturday night, a freaking HIGH of -4 on Sunday, and -11 on Sunday night....I bet it's going to be even colder out by firebolt and Yurt, out West!
Oy. I lived in Iowa for a couple of years a few years ago. I remember those negative highs very well. So does my truck and the plastic parts inside that just snapped off in that cold.