Notices

Day 1

Old 12-14-2016, 10:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1

Hello everyone, I'm the new guy. This is a very new thing for me and I hope that being on this forum will give me an outlet instead of the dreaded isolation. I'm tired of the same thing everyday. I'm excited to see how things go, I've read a lot of threads and this site seems to have many people that really care about each other!
Old 12-14-2016, 10:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome to the posting side of things SS. We were all the new guy "or girl" at one point, so no worries there at all. Have you stopped drinking yet? Is that your plan? We are here to help with either or.
Old 12-14-2016, 10:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Rehydrating to Oblivion.

Welcome to SR and congrats on your day 1. I am sure you will find a tonne of support here.

Feel free to join us in the 'Class of December 2016' thread. It's a group of us who are all newly sober this month

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...thread-18.html
Old 12-14-2016, 10:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, SlowSuicide - so very glad that you found us. This is a great place for support, understanding and encouragement.

SR are here for you - 24/7/365. Lean on us.
Old 12-14-2016, 10:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

BringingBackB posted a link to a great thread; here are a couple of others:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...art-188-a.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...highlight=psst
Old 12-14-2016, 11:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yeah this is day one, (again). It's amazing the lies I can tell myself or rationalize why I drink or do something stupid. I've had a long career of drugs and alcohol (35 plus years). That's why I chose the name SlowSuicide. It's a very slow but progressive thing that will in the end kill me if not stopped
Old 12-14-2016, 11:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Nice to meet you & welcome to sober recovery
Old 12-14-2016, 12:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

You can always count on lots of support here.
Old 12-14-2016, 12:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SlowSuicide View Post
Yeah this is day one, (again). It's amazing the lies I can tell myself or rationalize why I drink or do something stupid. I've had a long career of drugs and alcohol (35 plus years). That's why I chose the name SlowSuicide. It's a very slow but progressive thing that will in the end kill me if not stopped
Welcome! I'm pretty new here also, almost one month. Learning about AVRT has helped me alot. It's given me a new understanding of addiction. I've learned that I'm not lying to myself, my addiction is lying to me. It's telling me anything and everything it needs to keep me sick. I'm finally learning how to tell when my addiction is trying to deceive me and that I don't have to listen to it. As long as I don't listen to any lie that means using today, then I will not use.

I've found so much strength in the advice and stories of recovery here. It gave me the confidence to stop believing the lies and to ask for help.
Old 12-14-2016, 01:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi SlowSuicide. Could I call you anything but that? It makes me sad, because I know that each time you log on here to find support and something to lift you up, in order to do that, you have to face those two words and the painful feelings attached to them. There is good in you and there is greatness in your future. I know that because you are here.
Old 12-14-2016, 01:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome, SS!
Old 12-14-2016, 01:06 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

Hey there - SlowS
Good to see you here on Day1.
Lord knows I have had a few of them this year.
It ain't easy ! But we are here and ready to talk and listen.

- MR
Old 12-14-2016, 01:07 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hello Slosu. Not saying that name- let's work on changing that. Alcohol is crap. Isolation sucks. Welcome- keep posting, keep reading. Good time to look at stuff- with Xmas just over there. Prayers to you. PJ
Old 12-14-2016, 01:27 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I hope with our support you'll want to change your name to HappyLife, or something like that.
Old 12-14-2016, 01:45 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

You're right. It was a bad choice in names. I don't need to be reminded of that. That's why I joined this group. I need people to tell what I need to hear not what I want to hear. How do I go about changing my name or am I stuck with it now?
Old 12-14-2016, 01:52 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

How about 'AReclaimedLife' or 'LifeReclaimed'?

I think that you need to contact Anna or Dee by pm to change your username.

Also you might need 5 posts in order to send a pm.
Old 12-14-2016, 02:12 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR...it helped me and I had been trying to stop drinking for many years, a bit more than 35 years. I believe it is never to late to become sober, if a person is ready. Take care
Old 12-14-2016, 02:33 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome, SS!

It's great to see you're already listening to the advice of some wonderful posters here - there's so much to learn and so many people who are generous with their knowledge. On another forum I'm a member of (not sobriety related) we have a saying - the pull factors are more important than the push factors. I think that can happily apply to sobriety, too. Sure, the push factors (the hangovers, the DUIs etc) can send you down this path, but the pull factors - wanting to be sober for the wonderful benefits of being sober - are really what count. Focusing on the positives, rather than the negatives, can be the change in mindset that makes success more likely, I think?
Old 12-14-2016, 03:01 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I really appreciate the concern and suggestions from everyone! My addiction tells me that I have all the answers. Being a guy with and addiction is bad enough, I'm also a firefighter/Paramedic for 25 plus years which makes it much worse. I'm not sure if I heard it or came up with it, but it doesn't matter, my thought that I tell people is that "My mind is a dangerous place for me to be alone." If I keep my thoughts to myself, I'll not make it out alive. That's why I'm here, I'm too analytical and can defend a position from a intellectual point of view. I'm a sick puppy
Old 12-14-2016, 03:07 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

This is a wonderful place to share and to break the cycle of our addictive thinking patterns.

Very glad that you are with us!!!!