Notices

Mixed feelings about the holidays: post here

Old 12-14-2016, 09:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Mixed feelings about the holidays: post here

In some ways, it won't be a huge deal. I didn't drink normally, by any means, so I could never depend on the host's supply/supply of the bartender at open-bar parties. So, I left to sip from my pint or whatever I had on hand. So, I won't miss having a glass of wine at the holiday party.

I'm missing having 10 or 12 with sips from my pint, though. So far the temptations haven't been bad and they are pretty low/non-existent now. I really want to drink, yes, but I know I can't. Not because of willpower, but because I almost died and created a private personal mess (thankfully, this did not affect work, etc. but it did affect me and has ongoing effects).

I kind of ignore the holiday invites. I work in a place with lots of different sections and subsections, so we've had many fancy parties and I've just ignored all of them. Too bad, because the food looked amazing. I don't know what it is. I'm not depressed, per se, I'm just, once again, angry that I couldn't drink normally and am very jealous of those who can. Does that make sense?

Like others, I've also noticed how little other's drink and think, "what is the point of having 'a beer'/'a half glass'"? I won't have to exempt myself from any family events because everyone knew I had a problem and wasn't supposed to be drinking anyway. It's been slightly over six months.

My only big trigger is driving by dive liquor stores, of all things! I feel like I miss going in and getting my comfort/feel normal juicce
Old 12-14-2016, 10:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Changing activities associated with the holidays might help. For example, this Christmas I am going on a little vacation abroad so invites from local people become a non-issue.
Old 12-14-2016, 01:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The holidays shall pass too!!!
Old 12-15-2016, 01:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi notgonnastoptry

I stayed away from all alcohol centered events my first Xmas - it made it a lot easier for me.

It might sound difficult but looking back it wasn't really. I would beg off things all the time in the bad old days because I was drunk or hungover - I just said no to these things too.

By the time the second Xmas rolled around I was secure, I'd lost my resentment at not being 'able to drink' and I knew nothing or noone would sway me
Old 12-15-2016, 06:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Perhaps changing one's whole outlook on how Christmas is "supposed" to be celebrated is in store. Change, real change comes from within; with our thinking; our mindset. Do we always have to do what we've always done? No, absolutely not. Does celebrating the Holidays always have to involve partying and drinking? No. How about try something different...and consider that a special gift to yourself?
Old 12-16-2016, 06:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

How long have you been consistently sober?
I only ask because lately I have found not only am I not craving or jealous of others being able to drink, I am actively repulsed by it (very weird). When I see a bottle of wine, my first thought is not "comfort juice" - it is "headache, misery, panic and despair".
Old 12-16-2016, 03:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

hows it going notgonnastoptry?

D