Notices

Hobbies & interests once sober

Old 12-14-2016, 09:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hobbies & interests once sober

I'm quickly realising I don't need further incentives to go sober, however my mind has turned to hobbies, interests, things I may achieve if alcohol stops taking my money, time and motivation. I'm not even talking dramatic or conventionally 'impressive' things. Right now my goal may be to read a book and enjoy it. It's been a while, since I always go to bed drunk, and with a hangover reading is the last thing I want to do. I used to love reading.

What have you guys achieved and taken pleasure from since quitting?
Old 12-14-2016, 10:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Reading. *wink
Old 12-14-2016, 10:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Here is our Sticky with lots of ideas:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ething-do.html
Old 12-14-2016, 12:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It is important to figure out what we like to do instead of drinking, so when cravings come up, or we have to cope with unpleasant feelings or people or memories or situations, instead of using alcohol as an escape, we can still escape but we can do it in healthy, fun, productive, safe ways!

I discovered I liked to craft and decorate. So one night I realized that I had made a big breakthrough in recovery, because I had had a bad day, and instead of wanting to run to liquor store, all I wanted to do was run to Michael's craft store. I just felt so good about myself, and love revisiting that milestone, it makes me very happy.
Old 12-14-2016, 01:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That's such a nice story :-)
Old 12-14-2016, 01:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I took a class at Joannes in crochet. Fail. I took a class at Joannes in watercolor. Fail. I've always wanted to learn how to play a musical instrument so bought an electronic keyboard for less than $100. I have been practicing and practicing but sound like a 4 year old. I'm beginnig to think I don't have the artistic "gene". I just got a yoga mat so am going to start following some YouTube yoga vidoes for beginners.
Old 12-14-2016, 01:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KissMyTiara View Post
I took a class at Joannes in crochet. Fail. I took a class at Joannes in watercolor. Fail. I've always wanted to learn how to play a musical instrument so bought an electronic keyboard for less than $100. I have been practicing and practicing but sound like a 4 year old. I'm beginnig to think I don't have the artistic "gene". I just got a yoga mat so am going to start following some YouTube yoga vidoes for beginners.
Funny, I was going to sign up for a crochet class at Joanne's even though it seems so out of character for me. I'm not good with any of that stuff. Maybe as I am sober for longer I will have a better attention span and learning skills because right now I feel kind of mentally dull (24 hours into sobriety).
Old 12-14-2016, 01:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I feel you.. It can be hard to just enjoy the experience of things that produce a tangible end product, because you are thinking about that, you want it to turn out good. We need flow activities, stuff that focuses us in the moment.

So what can we do that allows us to be a spectator, or that is always ongoing, and carries none of the pressure of "Am I doing this right?"
Old 12-14-2016, 01:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I used to love to read but reading and drinking don't mix - when I would pick up the book and start reading the next day I would forget things I read.

Most of my hobbies involved drinking or were things I could do while drinking.

After 27 years of planning my life around my drinking it is hard to change.
Old 12-14-2016, 01:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Motorcycles, tattoos, gardening,
my new tv show American Pickers,
PGA Golf, lots of music for just a
few wonderful interests in sobriety.
Old 12-14-2016, 03:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

a return to my love and pursuit of reading and of writing
exercise
martial arts
running
surfing
skiing
music
guitar
journaling
volunteering
creating
hiking
kayaking
learning
going to the library
meeting friends for coffee
going to theater
just hanging out at home, doing chores and staying on top of things
getting out of debt
paying off all my years of back taxes
buying a second home
fathering
helping out at the local detox as a speaker
going to AA meetings
going to open mic poetry nights and sharing my poetry
just watching movies with my lady and kids
organizing playdates for my kids and their friends
going on mini-adventures with the family
tending to life's responsibilities instead of letting them falter
meditating
yoga
pilates
catching up with my Mom
catching up with my sister
hunting
fishing
taking my kids hunting and fishing
swimming
crossfit
biking
competing in trail runs
marathons
ultramarathons
supporting local causes actively

And much more......

There are a bajillion things to do and try and experience - from the small, everyday, mundane gifts to the big things we've always thought might be fun to try. Make a list and just start. Keep yourself open to the possibilities. Look for and welcome the signs.

Old 12-14-2016, 03:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I agree with kissmytiara's post- I too do not seem to have an artistic gene but have tried many things. I think being sober allows you to try things you would not normally do even if they are a little out of your comfort zone.
If it doesnt work just move on to something else with the knowledge that at least you tried it
Old 12-14-2016, 03:45 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I took a class at Joannes in crochet. Fail. I took a class at Joannes in watercolor. Fail. I've always wanted to learn how to play a musical instrument so bought an electronic keyboard for less than $100. I have been practicing and practicing but sound like a 4 year old. I'm beginnig to think I don't have the artistic "gene".
I hope ya didn't stop after "A" class.

im thinkin kinkaid and Rembrandt prolly had a few not so Purdy paintings when they started, but they kept doing it and learning.

im thinkin ann Bancroft, patricia arquette, and clara barton prolly had some not too wearable things when they first started crocheting, but they kept on practicing.

im thinkin Beethoven, brahms, and Elton john prolly didn't make the most enjoyable music right from the get-go.

and myself- I took up scrollsaw fretwork. I made some high priced, fancy schmancy kindling for a while. still do occasionally. but I don't let that stop me.
there were times,though, that I walked away from the scrollsaw for a few days.

don't quit! keep on practicing!!!
Old 12-14-2016, 03:57 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

One thing I got interested in a few years ago was making my own journals from old hardcover books. There's a great step-by-step tutorial on YouTube, along with tons of "flip throughs" of others' homemade journals. Not difficult to do, occupies your brain, and becomes a place to put lots of postcards and scraps and just pictures you like. A keepsake piece of art that then has a practical use.
Old 12-14-2016, 04:56 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
sober style

I've been doing a lot of jigsaw puzzles. I like how patience and persistence are rewarded as the image starts to take shape, like a metaphor for sobriety maybe! I also do a lot of Sudoku puzzles, the number ones. And the NYTimes crossword every day too.
Old 12-14-2016, 05:17 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Good lord free owl do ya sleep?
Old 12-14-2016, 05:20 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

For you wanna be needle crafters there are books that are great. That's how I taught myself when the late hub was sick. YouTube also has great videos too. You can do it in your own home at your own pace. Just takes patience.
Old 12-14-2016, 05:21 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Blank,

Sobriety opens up every option you can imagine.

It is great being able to go to the car wash at 9 pm.

I used to be so drunk by then I dare not leave my room for fear of falling down the stairs let alone driving anywhere.

Thanks.
Old 12-14-2016, 05:24 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I'm only 4 months sober so I'm still just enjoying 'being'. BUT, I do hot yoga 5 days a week, run 3 days a week, walk my doggies, read, mom stuff, home stuff.

Now I have to start getting into the social side of the AA fellowship. I'm kicking and screaming but I guess I'm starting on Christmas eve. I'm not lonely and feel like I should be or something. Guess it'll all happen as its meant to.
Old 12-14-2016, 05:41 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Since I got sober, I'm a much better mom to my dogs and cats, and have developed quite an interest in their well being. I live for my critters, now that my girls are grown and gone.