Notices

My Sobriety Statement

Old 12-12-2016, 01:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My Sobriety Statement

I typed up a recovery plan for myself here not too long ago, and then of course did nothing to follow through on it.

So this is one thing different I'm doing this time -- writing and posting a statement on why I must and want to stay sober.

Sobriety Statement

The purpose of this statement is to have something written down to remind me why I never want to drink again. I need to remember the horrible mental and physical discomfort I feel in the wake of a binge. Lying in my own pee. Throwing up, being weak as kitten, the anxiety and the sweats. Being scared to death of the reaction from my very patient boss and coworkers -- because I stayed home the day before without notifying anyone. I need to remember the awfulness of getting fired -- more than once -- for drinking on the job. After the last one I was forced me to move home with my parents as a forty-something. I then lost the car I loved. I hurt people I love. I need to remember that I can NEVER LET MY GUARD DOWN. That sobriety can't be just a part of my life, it has to be the number-one FOCUS of my life right now and for quite some time to come. And something DIFFERENT has to happen for me to be successful. My binges WILL KEEP HAPPENING if I do not ACT -- every day -- to prevent them. And the consequences will be catastrophic.

So here's what I hope is my last Day One, December 13, 2016.

Thanks for reading and for all the support I always find here.
Old 12-12-2016, 01:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
saoutchik

You can do this MeSoSober. One day at a time is all it takes

Good luck
Old 12-12-2016, 01:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you so much, saoutchik. Everyone's support here means so much and helps so much.
Old 12-12-2016, 01:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Totally agree with Saoutchik you can do this I've just read your other post where you talk about a programme I asked do you have a sponsor because that's what I done on day 1 after my first meeting call it fate call it destiny but were still in touch today & it has made my recovery so much better for it

It was my sister after my first meeting in a phonecall that I said I felt a connection to the man she said call him up right now & ask .. I was like I can't do that I've just met him she said make the call & I'm so grateful & lucky I did

The man was around 3 years sober & he said it might be better if I ask someone with more time & am I sure ?

I genuinely felt a connection with the man & although I wasn't sure I was sure enough & I'm so lucky really

I hope you find a sponsor if your attending AA ?
Old 12-12-2016, 02:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It would be great to have a sober buddy to talk to and help hold me accountable. Actually some friends in general would be good. And maybe if I quit freaking drinking and did some more social things I would have friends. I do social stuff with my sister and/or parents.

I did group counseling once -- group was six or eight of us. I definitely preferred the smaller group setting and format. Of course I drank once while I was going to the group. [eyeroll]
Old 12-12-2016, 02:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Don't cut yourself any slack; drinking is now altogether off the table. It no longer exists.
Old 12-12-2016, 02:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

This is an incredible idea. I love it.
Old 12-12-2016, 02:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Don't lose that statement my friend!
Old 12-12-2016, 02:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
Don't cut yourself any slack; drinking is now altogether off the table. It no longer exists.
I have frequently repeated to myself Dee's sage advice about it off the table as an option. Clearly I had trouble living by it.

Thanks Gilmer.
Old 12-12-2016, 02:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks Kyng. I don't have a printer here but can print it at work and then put it on my refrigerator or inside my front door. The idea is to NEVER FORGET what has happened and will happen if I don't stop drinking for good.
Old 12-12-2016, 06:41 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
DOS: 08-16-2012

Originally Posted by MeSoSober View Post
It would be great to have a sober buddy to talk to and help hold me accountable. Actually some friends in general would be good. And maybe if I quit freaking drinking and did some more social things I would have friends.
Sounds like the program of Alcoholics Anonymous is exactly what you need! Accountability, more friends than you can shake a stick at, social events, and best of all a new start on your life!
Old 12-12-2016, 06:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good luck MeSoSober. Today is my first day and with Gods help we can get through this together.
Old 12-12-2016, 07:10 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

You got this, fill your life with the people who can support and nourish your sobriety, attend as many meetings and move it forward. Fun to know you can work hard, get another car or whatever your goals might be! You got this......
Old 12-12-2016, 08:13 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mklove View Post
You got this, fill your life with the people who can support and nourish your sobriety, attend as many meetings and move it forward. Fun to know you can work hard, get another car or whatever your goals might be! You got this......
Thank you so much for the encouragement. When I have no faith in myself, posts like this help me believe in myself.
Old 12-12-2016, 08:28 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Mesosober, you can do this. Like the others said sobriety is for ever. Because of that fact I try not to even count days. I will be sober the rest of my life. Read your statement ever day. Come here when ever you feel weak. We are here for you
Old 12-13-2016, 04:07 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MeSoSober View Post
I have frequently repeated to myself Dee's sage advice about it off the table as an option. Clearly I had trouble living by it.
Dee's advice is spot on, MeSoSober, because this thing, unfortunately, is not deterred by scarecrows, real or imagined. It fears its own "death" by deprivation far more than your literal suffering and death. If you do not restrain it, it will drive you to ruin the hard way, without a second thought.

You can do this, but you must not misjudge what you are up against.