Notices

Day 1

Old 12-11-2016, 08:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1

Have made a decision to stop drinking, have thought about it on and off for years. Im a massive binge drinker once a week. I would go out then end up at a party drinking vodka till all hours and always cringe the next day. im 29

My worries though are wondering what ill do after a week of work at the weekends. I always have fun although i know its bad for my body to drink a 10 glass of vodka in 1 night. I also wonder how ill ever meet a woman as im single and just wouldnt have a clue what to do if i wasnt drinking at the weekends
Old 12-11-2016, 08:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

hey Magic,

congratulations on your decision. now comes the imp[lementing

the next weekend is a week away, so lots of time to look around here and find the threads which speak to making plans and what kinds of things people found/find useful.

not having a clue what to do sober....many of us here have been there. we learn new ways. we've found that our old ways of drunkenly "knowing what to do" weren't working out too well.

welcome, and stick around.
Old 12-11-2016, 08:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Magic!!
Old 12-11-2016, 08:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

There are a lot of fears involved in stopping drinking, but I believe that it's your AV speaking to you. There are plenty of fun and healthy things to do on weekends and we have a great list here as follows. And, it's good to know that alcoholism is a progressive disease and it will get worse unless you stop.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ething-do.html
Old 12-11-2016, 10:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Nice to meet you Magic there is a lot of help available here & a really supportive community to lean on we get it I got sober at 31 I wish I done it at 29 I'm 34 now and havnt had a drink in almost 4 years

Take it slowly if it feels overwhelming reach out like your doing now & become a part of SR's community
Old 12-11-2016, 03:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Try not to worry or think too far ahead Magic. It all works out - really

D
Old 12-12-2016, 11:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for the welcome everyone. I got home from work today and was sooo wrecked. Crawled into bed and woke up from a 2 hour nap because of a phone call from my friend. He is my childhood friend and a very healthy guy. Hes a personal trainer and has never drank before in his life. Was talking to him on Sunday and telling him how terribley hungover and embarressed I was and that I was off the drink for life. I thought that was that over but he randomly rang me there saying his diary was a bit slow coming up to christmas and with me telling him i wanted to get healthy he wondered did i want to come and work out in the gym with him and he would do me a plan etc and train me for mates rates. Basically for buttons - Usually id not be interested but i definetly see it as some weird kind of sign that its a direction I should be going in. Meeting him tomorrow after work to get started
Old 12-12-2016, 12:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I think it takes time to remember how to have fun sober, it's hard for me. I'm working with a counselor to learn that I don't have to be high or drunk to like myself, to be fun, pretty, outgoing, to feel like people like me, to feel like I fit in.

Just think how much more fun your weekends will be when you can remember them; when you don't have to apologise on Monday for being out of control, when you don't have to check your phone to make sure you weren't drink texting or drink facebooking.

Keep getting support and I think it will come with time. Being sober and being able to spend time doing meaningful things and building relationships is infinately more fun than getting trashed and wasting time doing things you most likely won't even remember the next day.

Prayers for you in your recovery. Don't believe the lies your evil addiction voice are telling you.
Old 12-12-2016, 12:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Sounds like a good friend Magic & it's good he's healthy too we need people like that around us & I'm glad you got that

Day by day things will get better with time
Old 12-12-2016, 01:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

What a wonderful opportunity to begin your sobriety journey with a personal trainer! That's a gift...take advantage of it. Lucky you!
Go For It!
Old 12-12-2016, 01:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Magic994 View Post
I always have fun...
Always?

You said you wake up the next day cringing. How fun is that? Frankly, if you are drinking to that extent, 10 glasses of vodka or more, you aren't drinking for fun. Sounds compulsive. Sounds like alcoholic drinking, and that has nothing to do with fun and everything to do with addiction.