Notices

Doxepin for Insomnia?

Old 12-09-2016, 06:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Doxepin for Insomnia?

Hi all!

Has anyone in these parts experienced Doxepin for insomnia?

My doc prescribed it for me yesterday. I hated the way Trazodone made me feel, and Vistaril did absolutely nothing to help with my soul-crushing sleeplessness.

Doc assured me that the Doxepin is NOT a narcotic or addictive, however I'm reading now that this anti-depressant can cause withdrawal symptoms if not gradually tapered when quitting? That terrifies me, as my last detox was bad enough.

Any experiences you could share would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Old 12-09-2016, 07:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I have no experience with it but certainly any drug can have side effects. If your doctor is familiar with it and confident that it is not addictive I would most likely trust his judgment, but each of us react differently. That's why your personal medical history is important and the experience of others is not always going to be a good indicator of how you may react. Bottom line, if you don't trust your doctor getting a second medical opinion is probably best.
Old 12-09-2016, 10:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I'm afraid i have no experience of these drugs but I have had insomnia so I just wanted to wish you good luck
Old 12-09-2016, 10:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you wonder if it's right for you, the best thing is to go back and talk to your dr and possibly get a second opinion.
Old 12-09-2016, 01:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Every medication down to asprin has a laundry list of potential side effects that could scare anyone off. Dr Google really is not a good place to start looking as they are 99.9% of the time wrong.
Your doc prescribed this for a reason, so I would at least give it a try to see if it helps.
Old 12-09-2016, 01:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

insomnia ... kiddo you are young... and you can't sleep now.. wait until you are 62..... it does not get any better for you have a life pattern that was started when you where young.. like first born... my hubby the only time he was a good sleeper was when we were first together.. 26 years and 4 times a year in hospital yep do the math. and morphine and he is completely dressed for outdoors when he does go to bed.. and says he did not sleep all night.. funny as a Mom and a Good Mom.. I can hit the bed out like a light. the littlest sound of stress and I am up in a flash.. he has it in his head that he is in pain the pain won't let him sleep. and it's a terrible circle of his life... and now he is angry at the doc for not giving him something to sleep with.. what was wrong with me... oh puddles and drips.. change you patterns of life..do you want to sleep or do you just feel that the world does something of the Big Bang in the middle of the night.. and you will miss it.. me kiddo 8pm comes I am gone even with the tv on full blast Toots wake up you gota see this.. roll over moan and gone I am up at 4:30am.. right this minute I have almost done my 12 hours up and awake.. and doing my job.. at 7:30pm my body needs to lay down and sleep rest the dark of night can stay just that. dark silent and warm in my bed.. just change your life to change your sleep and have a better life and a time to rest to sleep to be a recharged person..