Notices

21 and want to stop drinking

Old 12-08-2016, 06:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

21 and want to stop drinking

I wouldn't say I'm 'addicted' to alcohol, I drink either 3 times a week or once a month. The problem is not how often I drink, but how MUCH I drink. I feel like no body has this problem as much as me, I don't know when to stop, I binge drink to excessive ammounts. But the worst part about it is the fact that when I am that drunk I'm not a nice person, I've been really nasty to my boyfriend, say stupid things and bitch about other friends to my friends, think random people in clubs are starting on me and have a go and I've even got into fist fights on occasion. This then makes me feel like absolute sh*t, anxious and depressed for about 3/4 days after. Sober me is a completely different person, I'm positive, happy and a just a nice person. If I could drink to the point of having a few drinks, I would. But I just can't. I don't have a limit, I can't stop once I start. Does this mean I have a problem? The thing is I'm in two minds because I just wish I could be like a 'normal' person and drink occasionally and only have a couple, but I don't. Sober me hates going out in town, it's just not my vibe. But drunk me is the first to go out and party then wake up in the morning regretting everything because I change into such a nasty person. And the worst thing is when I've told friends before I want to stop drinking, I get such negative feedback. I don't know what to do, but I know I can't carry on like this, I don't want to ruin my relationship with my boyfriend or friends, at one point I got so drunk I even turned on my mum and tried to fight one of her friends. Me and my mum have a lush relationship, it's just so weird how much I change after too much to drink. Please can somebody advise/ help? I'm sorry if this is a bit of a rant, got way too drunk on Tuesday and still feeling rubbish about it now (it's Friday morning). Thanks.
Another thing is I really enjoy going to gigs and that seems to be the only time I actually manage to have a few pints and then go home, because I go with my boyfriend.. Don't know whether to just drink at gigs or give up all together.
Old 12-08-2016, 06:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello egg,
Your very young and have your whole life ahead of you. I promise you this, from the sounds of things giving up drinking completely would only improve your life. As an old guy I sure wish I would have made that decision when I was your age. Maybe read the stories of recovery forum. Many of us started just as you did. Give full sobriety a try you may really like it.
Old 12-08-2016, 09:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to the site. There are many problem drinkers like yourself that may not drink every day, but when they do, can not control themselves. Really the best option is to not drink at all, as you simply can't control yourself once you get started like all of us with alcohol issues.
It will be much easier now to start learning how to have fun without the alcohol, than to keep going down this destructive path that will likely ruin your life.
Old 12-08-2016, 10:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Egg,
Our son quit using the day after his 17th birthday. He celebrated 8 years In September. Has a great life, just started working on a cruise ship in the Entertainment Dept. We are so proud and happy for him!
All the best to you ......there is a Solution. Keep coming here, the support, by friends who get it, is one of the best sober tools I have!
Bobbi
Old 12-08-2016, 10:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Egg- your post's wording tells me- yep, there is a problem with alcohol. Have you thought of seeing your doctor? An AA meeting? One day you might wake up and remember this post years from now and discover you are an alcoholic- with lots of baggage. Might happen next time you drink. It is only dumb luck that keeps many who 'change' when they binge from harming themselves, others or property. Be careful, stay safe and keep posting. Lots of good stuff here to read. Prayers to you, PJ.
Old 12-08-2016, 11:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Egg
I think its a common misconception that alcoholics drink vast amounts, or they need to drink everyday, or they're homeless or whatever...

It seems alcohol turns you into someone you don't want to be and that's a great reason for wanting to quit

I rediscovered the real me when I quit - I know you will too

You'll find heaps of understanding and support here

There really is life after booze
Old 12-09-2016, 12:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Egg,
Your story reminds me of when I was 21 and in college. At that time in my life, I didn't drink during the week (only weekends), but I also was unable to stop and also became out of control. It got progressively worse as I got older. In my opinion, it definitely seems you are the perfect candidate to quit drinking before something seriously bad happens. Good luck!
Old 12-09-2016, 08:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have a good friend who has a similar drinking habit. He doesn't crave alcohol or drink often, but when he does, its like he's drinking energy drink, not alcohol. He just keeps going until there is so much alcohol in his system he shuts down. That can take 7-8 HOURS. I would say that based on your description of consequences you suffer when you do drink, that quitting would be a prudent decision. Wish you the best.
Old 12-09-2016, 09:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
AA Member

hi egg

welcome
Old 12-09-2016, 12:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Egg!!
Old 12-09-2016, 12:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Why don't you try being totally sober for three months and see how you feel then. Sounds like drinking is turning you into a nasty person. And if you stop drinking, you won't have those problems anymore.