Notices

Lists

Old 12-06-2016, 09:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lists

Hey everyone. Please tell me if I am getting too obsessive here. In the week or so since Thanksgiving (when I stopped drinking), I have been easily distracted, lacking an attention span, forgetful, and overwhelmed by all the thoughts and tasks at hand... I have begun to take great comfort in making lists. And I work on them and manicure them so that I can shut off my brain and just do the task that is next on the list. I still get distracted and forget what I'm doing, but I always say 'check the list' and I am guided by it. I even write 'eat breakfast' at the top of my list. I've been getting things done. I've taken pleasure in making the lists. I feel like they are holding my life together in my new mushy baby brain days of sobriety. Is this useful to anyone or do I sound crazy? I am really into listing everything.
Old 12-06-2016, 10:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

If it works for you, go for it. The first few days are days when you just do what you can - if you're obsessively listing 6 months down the line, that might be different.
Hang in there, it does get better.
Old 12-06-2016, 10:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am a big fan of to do lists. One of my friends once told me they write "make a list," as their first item. I started doing the same, then I can cross one thing off as soon as my list is completed!
Old 12-06-2016, 11:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Lists are great. I use my mirror as a whiteboard. Your brain is rewiring itself- memory takes time. Lists for 'normies' are a good idea. Great strategy to use. Well done for us! PJ
Old 12-07-2016, 01:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Sounds like mindfulness although remember you can only get so much done in a day (ODAAT) and it's best to not overload your day have achievable realistic targets and youl soon be pleasantly surprised

Plenty of little counts for a lot
Old 12-07-2016, 02:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
G-Woman

I say go for it if it's helping you! I'm often the same way, and to-do lists help me keep my focus when I'm getting overwhelmed. I also set reminders on my iPhone for things, mark dates on my iCal, etc. If I didn't do these things I'd be relying solely on my brain, so it would be a disaster.
Old 12-07-2016, 02:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Plenny, YES, YES, and YES!! I love lists. It helps to relieve my mind of anxiety and clutter and all the things I have to do each day become easier.

Here's what I do - I get a blank piece of printer paper (no lines) and a Sharpie maker (talk about obsessive ) - then I sit down usually in the morning but whenever I need to and list all the things I want to or need to do. Then I put a little square next to it so that when I finish the task I can put a checkmark in the box. The things on the list can be as mundane as "get mail" (I have to walk to my mailbox to get it) or "put out recycling" or "get gas in car" etc. It really helps me to see it all on paper - I'm a visual person - instead of swirling around in my brain. After the day is done I usually rip up the piece of paper and if I didn't get everything on the list done - no worries. Either I delete the task or do it another day! Enjoy your listmaking
Old 12-07-2016, 03:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I use them all the time and believe if you write it down it's a commitment and your success rate will be a lot higher.
Old 12-07-2016, 03:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
nmd

I live off lists. I also will leave sticky notes for myself if I need to remember something in the morning. I forget things other wise and as you mentioned it lists help keep me on task. It's also a great way to plan a day out ahead of time and be productive rather than just doing stuff. If checking off eat breakfast helps you in some way, then that is a good thing.
Old 12-07-2016, 03:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Living the life

Another fan of lists here. I'll even list something I've just done so that I have at least one thing checked off, so I'm really liking the "make a list" entry lol. I often feel that if it isn't written down it doesn't get done. If it's working for you, list away!
Old 12-07-2016, 03:48 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I can't live without lists! It's the first thing I do when I get to work. I write my "work" to-do list and my "personal" to-do list.

My lists are my way of keeping track of my life. They give me a great feeling of personal satisfaction and achievement. They motivate me to keep going with my sober, sensible, organised life. In that sense, they are another sobriety tool for me.
Old 12-07-2016, 04:00 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Both myself and my wife who's a non-drinker make lists. It's a valuable tool for keeping tasks top of mind. Although personally, I have trouble dong mine in order, I tend to jump from one thing to the next and back again.
Old 12-07-2016, 04:23 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I love lists. I've become more forgetful as I've got older but was always a fan of lists. I have them for weeks ahead - holiday list, Christmas food list, work to do list, today's list, anything.

It helps me keep structure and order in my life. It's not hurting anyone and helps me so no problem
Old 12-07-2016, 04:42 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

just curious for you list-builders: do you use pen and paper always or maybe something like an app or google? or does it matter?
Old 12-07-2016, 04:47 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by GetSmart View Post
just curious for you list-builders: do you use pen and paper always or maybe something like an app or google? or does it matter?
I have a list of list-making tools I can share.

Hey, Penny, maybe check out this thread:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...01402-d-d.html

I have ADD and making lists increases my productivity many-fold.
Old 12-07-2016, 04:53 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Plenny- I just updated my mirror, PJ
Old 12-07-2016, 04:57 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I think it's a great idea. For me it was and still is a must. It help's unclutter my mind.
Old 12-07-2016, 05:07 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Totally useful. I have bad anxiety and lists can really help with that....I know what is going to happen next. And yes, it keeps me on track. For me, as time goes on, I find myself not making lists without even really thinking about it.

Its early days. If lists help, do them.
Old 12-07-2016, 05:08 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Generally its pen and paper. I'm old school.
Old 12-07-2016, 05:11 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Living the life

I try making lists on my computer but it just doesn't give the same satisfaction as checking something off with pen on paper.