Notices

Looks like im forced to quit

Old 12-05-2016, 11:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Looks like im forced to quit

Last 2-4 weeks I occasionally got chest pain, like a really severe heavy stab pain that goes from the middle of my ribs to just the start of my throat. It lasts for about 3-5 seconds then goes away. First few times I ignored it thinking maybe its my anxiety or from drinking way too much the night before but then on sunday night it happened again and thats when I became terrified.

So I saw my Doctor last night and she asked me lots of questions of which I had no answer to some of them because I don't really know the health history of my family and she made me do certain stretches, weighed me and asked when it happens. Now it seems to happen when I'm in an awkward position or get up but it doesn't always happen, so its hard to tell. She said that it might be a problem with my rib muscles but just to be sure I have to get an chest x-ray tomorrow and a blood test and 12 point ECG.

On sunday night when it happened I instantly stopped drinking alcohol and started exercising more and have also cut down on fizzy drinks, it scared me that much. My Doctor also said my blood pressure was also high but that could be because of my anxiety and/or alcohol withdrawl.

I sorta do hope it is just my ribs as bad as that sounds.
Old 12-05-2016, 11:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope the tests go ok and they find a simple easily fixed explanation OzM8ey

I hoe you can build on this sober time and keep it going, even when you get a clean bill of health
Old 12-06-2016, 12:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Oz- good you are getting medical assessments. It would be more scary not to know I think. The fact you did is good instead of putting it off or avoiding seeing a doctor. Thoughts, support and prayers to you. PJ
Old 12-06-2016, 05:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I hope you are okay.

As for quitting, you've had health scares before and they didn't keep you sober for long. If you are indeed committed to quitting, then please find a program of recovery that will support this decision.
Old 12-06-2016, 01:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hope everything comes back alright!!

Though use this as a realisation that we're not invincible, continuing to drink and damage ourselves, will one day catch up with us eventually.
Old 12-06-2016, 01:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Be sure and tell them your drinking history, you know, that you could be detoxing. That could skew the ECG results.
Old 12-08-2016, 06:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

well i got an x ray for my chest but have to wait 7 days for some reason to get results from my Doctor even though when i broke my ankle a few years ago it only took 1 day.

I wonder does alcohol do harm to your bones?
Old 12-08-2016, 06:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Oz, alcohol wreaks havoc on everything. I finally got my body as under control as I have control over and the years of abuse have caused some bone deterioration, bad nutrition harms teeth on the outside and of course organs, brain and heart on the inside! Sobering stuff for me.........
Old 12-08-2016, 06:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I think alcohol harms every fiber in your body. It'a toxin.
Good job on going to get checked out. Were you upfront about your drinking? I'm sorry you had to go through this but if it is the final push to get sober and stay that way, it was worth it.
Old 12-08-2016, 07:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I had to quit for health reasons too. I had many health ailments (at only 31 years old) from drinking heavily and nightly. I had chest pains almost every day.

Now that I'm sober all of my health ailments have gone away.
Old 12-08-2016, 07:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

You've been coming here for quite some time with all sorts of questions about how alcohol might be affecting your health Oz. Bones, nosebleeds, vitamin deficiencies, etc. I'm glad you've quit and hope your test results are favorable.

As others have mentioned though, basing your sobriety on health scares is only a temporary solution. You'll need to dig deep and find a program or plan you can follow after the initial health shock wears off. Coming here is a great start, have you thought about the next steps?
Old 12-15-2016, 09:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I saw my Doctor today to get the results and he said there is nothing wrong with my heart but did say its my rib muscle. You can damage it my exercising, lifting, etc though it seem to happen at the most random times
Old 12-15-2016, 09:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Seconded. Do you want a long- or short-term solution...the name of your thread concerns me....Be well and safe.

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I hope the tests go ok and they find a simple easily fixed explanation OzM8ey

I hope you can build on this sober time and keep it going, even when you get a clean bill of health
Old 12-15-2016, 10:05 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope you decide to keep staying sober ozm8ey

D