Notices

Anybody else's brain won't shut up?

Old 12-05-2016, 10:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anybody else's brain won't shut up?

Last monday was the last time I drank a 25 ounce beer on the way home from work and 3 more once I got there. It's been 7 days with no alcohol. Sometimes my brain just shouts at me, stop at this gas station! Don't pass the liquor store, we need a bottle! It's almost like a zap in my brain. The worst is the drive home from work. 45 minutes with nothing but my brain telling me to stop at all my favorite spots. How do you all cope with this?
Old 12-05-2016, 10:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It is just something that happens frequently in early days. That obsessive mind will die down.

I used to repeat the Serenity Prayer a hundred times, or try to recite the usernames of people on this site when that would happen. It happens with other thoughts, too.

At some point that settles down, but I had to make peace with that voice, and understand that I had control over my thoughts. I could acknowledge it, and then let it go without acting on it.

As far as the habit and the association you have - can you take a different route home, or maybe not go right home - stop for a walk in a scenic place or go to the gym or a movie or get something to eat...anything to break the habit.
Old 12-05-2016, 10:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

"Anybody else?" Hmm, this forum has 161,254 members. Many of us have felt that our "brain won't shut up," and this is especially true about thoughts of drinking in early recovery.

How about stopping by an AA meeting on your way home?
Old 12-05-2016, 10:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

That's a tough one. I'm sure it is hard to take another route home avoiding the triggers but, that's an option.
Can you stop and get something else instead of alcohol. Maybe treat yourself to a milkshake if you are thirsty (another trigger). Leave your money and cards at home. You can't buy anything without cash.
As for the AV voice it will always be there you just have to shut it up with all the reasons you cannot give into it. Think about why you want to quit and focus your thoughts on not giving the beast the power to control you.
Old 12-05-2016, 10:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am 6 weeks sober today after 27 years of daily drinking and my mind has not stopped racing at all in the last 6 weeks.

Before I quit drinking my mind was always filled with mostly negative chatter all day long until I got alcohol in me - then I could relax for a few hours.

But it got to the point that even the alcohol didn't work for me anymore so now sleep is my only escape - but I dread the mornings.

Good luck. I hope it gets better for all of us.
Old 12-05-2016, 10:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
It is just something that happens frequently in early days. That obsessive mind will die down.

I used to repeat the Serenity Prayer a hundred times, or try to recite the usernames of people on this site when that would happen. It happens with other thoughts, too.

At some point that settles down, but I had to make peace with that voice, and understand that I had control over my thoughts. I could acknowledge it, and then let it go without acting on it.

As far as the habit and the association you have - can you take a different route home, or maybe not go right home - stop for a walk in a scenic place or go to the gym or a movie or get something to eat...anything to break the habit.
That is such a good idea. I can't change my route too much, but stopping for something else could maybe help. Find something new to get excited for.
Old 12-05-2016, 10:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ChloeRose63 View Post
That's a tough one. I'm sure it is hard to take another route home avoiding the triggers but, that's an option.
Can you stop and get something else instead of alcohol. Maybe treat yourself to a milkshake if you are thirsty (another trigger). Leave your money and cards at home. You can't buy anything without cash.
As for the AV voice it will always be there you just have to shut it up with all the reasons you cannot give into it. Think about why you want to quit and focus your thoughts on not giving the beast the power to control you.
Thank you 😊
Old 12-05-2016, 10:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
totfit

I try and always have something worthwhile in front of me to do, knowing that drinking will at the very least contribute negatively. At some point after many different types of programs, readings, meditation, exercise or what not, the reality hit my that I am physically not disposed to drinking without issues. It creates havoc with me physically, emotionally and yes, in a sense spiritually, though all I believe and relish is the mystery, that science is working to explain.
I finally "came to believe" and internalize that it would be ridiculous for me to drink. There would be no good reason. It just makes no sense.

I think most people that finally get sober come to some similar "awakening". I don't mean necessarily in any way a "spiritual awakening", but an awakening nonetheless. But yes, I have in my life experienced many days of what you are going through. Those voices finally went away. On the very rare occasion I hear the faint voice, it is just laughable. I will just tell you honestly from experience you will be returned exponential times over if you just get through them for a bit. Think of them as what they are, just irrational thinking because of a chemical addiction, that will get better. It will get better.
Old 12-05-2016, 11:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I found changing my daily routines helped me a lot in the first few weeks. My most difficult time was early evening. So, after supper cleanup, I started going out to walk and I've never stopped. It helped in so many ways because it changed my routine and it reconnected me with good, healthy things. You can get through this as long as you stick with it.
Old 12-05-2016, 11:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

Nice to meet you Bananas not sure if you have seen any of SR's links on urgesurfing or other methods of dealing with the AV (that voice in your brain that won't shut up)

Mindfulness & Meditation help with staying present & finding an quiet inner peace it takes time but is really beneficial to early recovery & recovery in general

There is also the 4-7-8 breathing exercise to help with cravings

This is the sticky from the top of the page & is well worth reading & bookmarking

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html
Old 12-05-2016, 12:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

All great advice above . my experience was it got better after the first couple of weeks and i changed things up so that i was busy. hang in there
Old 12-05-2016, 01:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
AA Member

Originally Posted by Bananas44 View Post
How do you all cope with this?
once i was regularly going to meetings the desire to drink/ drug was removed

Old 12-05-2016, 01:20 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Soberwolf View Post
Nice to meet you Bananas not sure if you have seen any of SR's links on urgesurfing or other methods of dealing with the AV (that voice in your brain that won't shut up)

Mindfulness & Meditation help with staying present & finding an quiet inner peace it takes time but is really beneficial to early recovery & recovery in general

There is also the 4-7-8 breathing exercise to help with cravings

]
Thank you so much I look forward to reading it
Old 12-05-2016, 01:22 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

It's so nice to have so many replies and not a single one saying I will fail or I can't do it. This site has truly helped me believe in myself.
Old 12-05-2016, 01:26 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Kids I don't think it ever stops really .. we all are creative people of sorts.. art music written word stage clay paint mud you name. it... I have had a terrible cold. and the Doc gave me a liquid to get me to rest and stop the coughing.. and Ed had to give me a Valium on Friday night my mind was racing my legs and feet running in place in bed and I would not stop talking.. It took 3 hours to get my mind to shut off.. I have times were something talks and I am driving home... I pull over in a parking lot and have a chat.. no we are not doing this .. dinner clean up the house holiday cards to write and I win.. that is all there is to it.. I WIN>>>>>>> sometimes it is very hard.. for the other spot wants to have a wine a Captain Morgan and Coke Brandy Alexandra and just be like before. but we can not just can not.. love to all a Clown
Old 12-05-2016, 01:29 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hey Bananas
I have been there for sure. And Doug's post reminded me that if my mind wasn't on alcohol, it was obsessing about something else. Usually something I couldn't control...like someone or something. Or something bad that was going to happen (like I can predict the future) or something bad I'd done. Or what a bad person I am. I just realized that in the last 109 days I have not been doing that very much. Very little actually. Wow.

For me acceptance is key...that I choose not to drink again because alcohol has won. Period. And working a program. Everyday. Its not a full time job, its just one of the many daily disciplines that I have.
Old 12-05-2016, 01:34 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

My sponsor got me to studying this word early in sobriety -- M-Bob

e·qua·nim·i·ty
equanimity
mental calmness, composure, and evenness of temper, especially in a difficult situation.
"she accepted both the good and the bad with equanimity"
synonyms:
composure, calm, level-headedness, self-possession, coolheadedness, presence of mind; serenity, tranquility, phlegm, imperturbability, equilibrium; poise, assurance, self-confidence, aplomb, sangfroid, nerve; informalcool
"she confronted the daily crises with equanimity
Old 12-05-2016, 02:02 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
What you are describing, your brain screaming at you to get alcohol, is common. It can also present thoughts in a more subtle insidious fashion. That addicted part of your brain can be very creative in trying to persuade you to do it's bidding ( getting and drinking alcohol). This "being of two minds", the constant opposition going on in your in your head, is the hallmark of addiction. The key to is to learn to recognize it, "otherize" it by separating from it (that's not what the real me wants, it's what the addicted part of me wants"), and not acting on it. There is a technique called AVRT that centers on exactly how to do this. As others have said, once you begin to do this, the din dies down.

I love Mountainmanbob's post about equanimity. If you google equanimity/Buddhism there is lots of good reading on the subject.
Old 12-05-2016, 02:10 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi bananas

The truth for me is that I wasn't really able to 'cope' with those thoughts -- after a week or two of obsessing over not drinking, I would cave.

I had to actively change my viewpoint on alcohol to the point that I didn't want it or associate it with anything desireable before I really felt confident in my success.
Old 12-05-2016, 03:25 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Distraction was my friend in the early days, on my drive home I started to load up my ipod with my favourite tunes or listen to the radio, and yes sing along if that helped just to get past the liquor store.

Changing up my routines and habits was the key to everything, getting more support in there was key also, logging into SR before I left work and signing in upon arriving home, just to reinforce and keep me focused on the task at hand.

Finally my most radical action was leaving my bank cards at home, if I couldn't spend, I couldn't buy alcohol, if I could make it home, then I could lock myself in for the evening and make it one more day, it was pretty awkward as I had to plan my petrol throughout the week for my car, and pack my own lunches, but a part from that was living with no means of paying for anything throughout the working week, radical but that's what it took to make Sobriety a reality!!

Keep pushing through, you can do this!!