Notices

gotta start somewhere I guess!

Old 12-05-2016, 06:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

gotta start somewhere I guess!

Hello everybody
There is a very long version of my story and a very short one. The latter is that I cannot control my drinking and need to stop. I am struggling just now. I cannot begin to imagine forever so just going to start with today - day one. Wish me well!
Old 12-05-2016, 06:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Is this your first time trying to quit? Welcome, and good luck!
Old 12-05-2016, 06:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome SOSO.
Old 12-05-2016, 06:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome, sameold. I don't know what your daily intake is. I would urge you to talk to your physician first., before quitting entirely. Be honest about your drinking. He/she can help.
Old 12-05-2016, 06:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

hi all and thanks.
Well, this is my first time really trying to quit actually. But I am not a daily drinker but a binge drinker. I only tend to drink twice a week. Once is usually fairly measured and the other one is usually catastrophic! The effects of the latter usually take several days to wear off if not a whole week. Then I do it again. Have done for about 20 years with some peaks and troughs of intensity. Fed up of it.
Old 12-05-2016, 07:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Hi! How are you feeling today? I'm on Day 2. Finally can hold food down and I drink lots of water and take B vitamins. I do puff on a cigarette to calm my nerves but, I am quitting that habit when I feel better. Usually, it is 3 days. But, I am not really myself for about 5 or 6. In a week or two I would crave wine and bindge like a fool. No more. January is a new year and a fresh start. Time to make some real changes before I do too much damage. PM me if you need a friend.♡CR
Old 12-05-2016, 07:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

thanks CR
I am feeling terrible today but thanks for asking! :-) If only I could bottle this feeling and take a whiff of it when I am about to embark on a binge!
Anyway, I will be better tomorrow and better the day after so not in a good place but will soon be on the up. The big danger for me will be in about a week to 10 days. Appreciate your thoughts and wish you all the very best.
Old 12-05-2016, 07:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sameoldsameold View Post
Hello everybody
There is a very long version of my story and a very short one. The latter is that I cannot control my drinking and need to stop. I am struggling just now. I cannot begin to imagine forever so just going to start with today - day one. Wish me well!
I'm in the same boat. Good luck my friend.
Old 12-05-2016, 07:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

That's exactly what I tell myself. I really don't even like the smell or taste of wine. I water it down and drink it fast. Usually, on an empty stomach because it goes to my head faster. Stupid, stupid, stupid! If there was someting that would remind me of how sick and tired alcohol makes us feel...smell or somthing that would make us run the other way...lol...I would use it. Who wants to purposly feel like a truck ran them over!!
Old 12-05-2016, 08:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

sadly, I really like the taste very much, always have. Still nobody said it would be easy! :-) But I do HATE the after effects enough to ruin any fleeting pleasure. Just need to remember that at the key moments. - of which there will be many I am sure. Thanks for encouragement all!
Old 12-05-2016, 08:25 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

I tried buying really awful wine so I would hate the smell and taste. That didn't work. I just switched back to something less awful. I really need to think of alcohol as poison for my body because I feel poisoned when detoxing.
Old 12-05-2016, 08:28 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Well there IS a way to remember how bad the affects are. How much time do you devote to staying sober each day? I also went back and forth, drinking casually then overcome with terror and remorse the next day. For several years...
The urges left when I committed to spending several HOURS each day reading and writing on this board and reviewing frequently all the reasons I wanted to stay sober.
That helped remind me how bad alcohol is and that was the only way I was finally able to quit.
Those urges are overwhelming and it's best not to wait until they hit you to start fighting them. Nip it in the bud early and fight the alcoholism even when you don't feel like drinking.
There is hope for anyone who recognizes they have a problem. Not everyone does. Congratulations on coming this far...
Old 12-05-2016, 08:47 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

thanks ladyredslipper
That sounds like great advice and wisdom!
Old 12-05-2016, 08:55 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

I waited too long and became a "zombie" going to the store to buy wine. It was as if I was posessed and nothing could stop me not even my sober voice saying, "This is not what you want to do. Turn around. Stop driving to buy alcohol. Do something else".
Old 12-05-2016, 09:01 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Sameoldsameold... like in anything you have to take that first step.. drinking stopping or life .. the first step tells if it will work... good luck kiddo...
Old 12-05-2016, 09:02 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! You will find lots of support in this site. It took me a while to finally get sobriety right. I have been on and off this site since 2012, and NYE of 2015 I decided I was done with feeling the way you do right now. I am coming up on my one year mark January 1st.

Posting and reading here daily helped, in the past when I thought I was fine, or could handle drinking in moderation I stopped posting, and that moderation thing never worked for me. I have also used mindfulness, exercise, and focusing more on recovery, than just the constant thought of "I can't drink."

Life has thrown me a few curve balls this year, that would have led me to buying a little extra wine in the past, but I got through them sober. The first few weeks are tough, and I planned every minute of the times I would have normally been drinking.

Two great places to join on this forum are the monthly classes, you would join December, and the 24 hour recovery thread, that is a place you can check in each day, and just focus on 24 hours.

You can do this, and I promise it is worth it.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:03 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Hi, ardy! Are you enjoying the snow?
Old 12-05-2016, 10:18 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Sameoldsameold!!
Old 12-05-2016, 02:47 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome sameoldsameold

D
Old 12-05-2016, 02:49 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Good to meet you, sameold.

I felt the same way - couldn't imagine 'forever' without alcohol. Even though it was making me miserable most of the time. So I did nothing about my drinking, & ended up with a ruined life. I'm glad you've decided to take action. Posting here helps ease the anxiety - you're among friends who care.