Notices

Today is the day

Old 12-04-2016, 11:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Today is the day

Its 8pm where I am and this is going to be my first sober day. Been out to (an alcohol free) dinner with my wife and I now know I wont drink tonight. Anyone want to tell me it gets easier? I dont mind saying its been a hell of a day.
Old 12-04-2016, 12:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

It will get easier as time goes along but there of course will be hard days such is life but by posting regularly it will strengthen your sobriety day by day

Stick with it .. it was one of the best decisions I ever made
Old 12-04-2016, 12:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Myfdeserveit!!
Old 12-04-2016, 01:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I cant offer much advice but today is my first day too. All of the sober folks on here started with Day 1. I am planning to stay sober today, that's my goal. I will plan to stay sober tomorrow, that's tomorrows goal, and so on.......Good for you!
Old 12-04-2016, 01:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Today is my first day sober after a wine bender. Guess we are starting out together. Lets be strong and support eachother.
Old 12-04-2016, 01:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
2/2016

It is hard at first, but change up your routine, walk if you get antsy, just take one day at a time. Cliche, but it works. Good luck!
Old 12-04-2016, 01:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome mfdeserveit. It does get easier but it might get worse first. The first few days are pretty rough so it's critical to have a plan in place. Eat whatever you need to, drink water, try and sleep though don't be surprised if you don't. Do anything to break the habit of drinking. Remove it from the house and avoid places where it's easily available if possible. oh and stick around SR -if you feel like a drink there will always be someone here to talk you out of it. The December class is great too for people all at same quitting stage.
Old 12-04-2016, 01:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It DOES get easier. I often wondered that thing myself . I believed people when they said it would and held on to the hope that it HAS to be better than the way things were drinking! Don't drink today, then start all over again tomorrow
Old 12-04-2016, 01:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by quitter62 View Post
I cant offer much advice but today is my first day too. All of the sober folks on here started with Day 1. I am planning to stay sober today, that's my goal. I will plan to stay sober tomorrow, that's tomorrows goal, and so on.......Good for you!
I know Quitter62 - I read your thread so thanks for this post and that thread.
Old 12-04-2016, 01:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ChloeRose63 View Post
Today is my first day sober after a wine bender. Guess we are starting out together. Lets be strong and support eachother.
Sounds Fab, you are on
Old 12-04-2016, 03:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I don't mean to play bad news bears here, but in my experience (and I've had my share of 'day ones'), but while physically the first day isn't much fun, a lot of my worst days have occurred after the first week.

Just hang in there. My best recommendation is to use this time to find a program that resonates with you that will help you prepare for everything that lies ahead
Old 12-04-2016, 05:06 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
AA Member

great news

Old 12-04-2016, 05:14 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Myfdeserveit - it's so good to have you with us. Congratulations on your first day - and for deciding to change your life. We know you can do it.

I drank almost 30 yrs. & for the first week I was very disoriented & foggy. Everything improved as I got free. It's so wonderful to be out of it's grips.
Old 12-04-2016, 05:15 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Congrats on your sobriety decision. What is your sobriety plan?
Old 12-04-2016, 05:15 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! Yes, it does get easier. The first few days are the hardest. For me it was important to have my evenings planned the first few months. I was in the habit of coming home from work and pouring myself a glass of wine as soon as I walked in the door.

I made plans to go for walks, to yoga, drive my kids to activities, read lots of recovery and non-recovery books. I also spent quite a bit of time on SR. Reading and posting here was and still is a big part of my recovery plan.

If you read Quitter's post you probably saw the links to several threads on this site, they are all excellent supports.

I have found being a member of my monthly class very helpful, I am part of the January 2016 class, I had been on a few others previously, but this time I have managed to make sobriety stick. Also, check in with the 24 hour recovery thread each day, it really helps.

Glad you are here!
Old 12-04-2016, 09:09 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hello, I'm on day 9 and it sure as hell has gotten easier. What made the first week easier for me is I gave myself permission to slack off on some duties, and just rest as much as I could. Stress and tiredness were always my biggest triggers to drink. I know everyone is different but I don't even crave it now. You will find that you sleep better and retain more nutrients (take a good b complex and magnesium everyday) and this increases energy which makes it easier to deal with stress and not turn to booze. Everyday I just keep getting stronger, with a few days where I'm not quite as strong, but mostly I am amazed every day at how much easier this is getting.
Old 12-04-2016, 09:32 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

If it didn't get better there'd be noone here posting

We drank for years. Early recovery is rough, but temporary - stay with it - it will get easier
Old 12-04-2016, 09:35 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

For me it got worse before it got better. But I COULD handle it, and it didn't kill me although I felt like it might, and I didn't lose my mind (any more than ever before anyway haha) even though I felt like I surely must be losing it.

The HALT triggers are definitely ones to plan to avoid. HALT stands for Hunger-Anger-Lonely-Tired. These things will bring on an intensify urges to drink. Also, keep hydrated. Your body is doing a lot of healing in the early days and dehydration will only slow the process and make you feel even more rubbish.

Getting a plan is pretty good advice. This link of Dee's is a great place to start reading up on this so you can do this... http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...y-plans-1.html

I'd also urge you to collect phone number, times and days, and addresses for local support organisations (SMART, AA, etc.) that are local to you. It might be that when you're feeling low enough to find the willingness to make contact with these organisations it would be a hard task to get through the washing machine head and find this information.

There will be a bunch of you with December sobriety dates, so it's good to support each other. I'd suggest joining this thread if you haven't done so already... http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-thread.html

Wishing you all the best for your recovery. BB
Old 12-05-2016, 01:53 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your decision. It does get better but It will take some time. Early recovery can be a rollercoaster ride so having a plan do deal with the cravings is the key to success. There is a lot of support here.
Old 12-05-2016, 02:13 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

[QUOTE=kintsugi;6231968]I don't mean to play bad news bears here, but in my experience (and I've had my share of 'day ones'), but while physically the first day isn't much fun, a lot of my worst days have occurred after the first week.

What do you mean by that? Is is physical pain because I just want these few days to be over. I hoping to feel good in time for Christmas.