Notices

11 months sober and curious about AA

Old 12-03-2016, 04:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

11 months sober and curious about AA

I'm 11 months sober (will have 1 year on December 27th) and have pretty much been doing it my way. I logged on to SR a lot in the beginning and then didn't feel the need to log in to SR much over the summer but lately I've been finding myself logging on much more in the last couple weeks.

I haven't been to an AA meeting and am just curious if this is something worth looking into? I feel like I'm doing pretty good on my own but have always been curious about AA meetings. I'm not sure about the whole 12 step process and the spirituality thing (I know a lot of people say that).

Not exactly sure what I'm really trying to get at with this post... Maybe just words of encouragement to give it a try; to give me that boost to just go and see what it's like. Advice from others that use AA and what to expect at my first meeting? What is it like walking in to your first meeting?

Thanks everyone.

Leasha
Old 12-03-2016, 04:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Why not try one and see leasha?

D
Old 12-03-2016, 04:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Why not try one and see leasha?

D
Thanks Dee... Honestly I think that's all I really needed to hear to give me that push just to go.
Old 12-03-2016, 04:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I wasn't sure if I wanted to go to AA but I needed sober people in my life as I had none and where do you find sober people?? AA! After 5 months people are getting to know me and it feels good to have people that have your back and understand what you are going thru. It definitely wouldn't hurt to try.
Old 12-03-2016, 04:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I was nervous my first meeting and I still get nervous! But hopefully where you are the people are just as loving and warm as the people are where I am. It's an hour of listening to other people's stories and it gives me a lot of hope and things to think about.
Old 12-03-2016, 06:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

It does not seem so much like you need AA (you've do well without it), yet you might find some things useful. It will be a little difficult to get a good idea of these things from just a single meeting, so I would encourage you to attend several different meetings. AA is a spiritual program rather than a religious one. It took me awhile to understand what was meant by this. When you attend listen for the similarities to your experience rather than for the differences. I hope you find something useful.
Old 12-03-2016, 07:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

I just posted this in another thread, and thought it might be appreciated here too. Maybe I'll see you at a meeting soon!
"Some of the most important brain systems impaired in addiction are those in the prefrontal cortex that regulate social cognition, self-monitoring, moral behavior and other processes that the AA-type approach seems to target." (4 March 2009; Neuroscience: "Rethinking rehab", Jim Schnabel, Nature 458).
Old 12-03-2016, 09:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm 9.5 mo sober and a dedicated AA-er. My boyfriend is closing in on 6 mo; he did not begin with AA but in the past couple of months started going with me and began (officially) working the program.

There are various ways to "get to" AA - and I think it's great for you to try it now! Going in with an already sober mind and a little bit of time (more than me- inspiring!!) it would seem quite possible that you are open to learning plenty.

IMO (and as I work my program) any and all good sober support is material I want to take advantage of and use in my recovery.

Good luck- and let us know if you go and what you think! Last suggestion- try some different kinds of meetings and/or decide to try going for some amount of time, to get a feel for the program. One meeting does not the program make, so to speak!
Old 12-04-2016, 08:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

No harm in checking it out, there's nothing to loose by giving it a go!!
Old 12-04-2016, 08:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I agree with those suggesting that if you are curious, go ahead and try it! Maybe more meetings or if you are also curious about the program, perhaps read some of the literature, get a sponsor and see if working the steps is something you benefit from in any form. I felt the same way: I appreciate AA but it has never been my primary recovery tool/program. I did experiment with it at different times (including working with a sponsor for a while). I am glad I did because I no longer feel dissatisfied not knowing and have a more informed impression now. It really cannot hurt much and if you don't like it, can quit anytime, no obligations.
Old 12-04-2016, 09:41 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I wasn't sure initially but am very glad I went now. It's been great to meet all those other sober people who have shared the same experiences as I have had, and have the opportunity to speak openly about things when I want to.

At any meeting there is no requirement for anyone to speak if they don't want to. Sometimes something is read aloud, and passed around the room so everyone takes a turn reading. People who prefer not to read just say 'pass' and pass it along.

There are different types of meeting, but the most common type (in my area at least) is a share meeting, where someone (who knows and has agreed in advance) will do a main share and afterwards others can share back when the room has been opened up for sharing. The person leading the meeting (the Secretary ) is just another member of AA. Other people will be helping in other ways. Making coffee, treasurer, greeters, Literature person, etc.

It all seemed a little odd and formulaic to me initially, but there is something strangely comforting about a trusted routine. Now I love going to meetings a few times a week, and they always help me feel quite grounded.

For me the 12-step program of recovery has enhanced my life (emotionally ) beyond measure. However, I was going to AA meetings for quite a while before getting a sponsor and starting that process. Some people never do it.

It can be a little nerve wracking walking into your first meeting, but it's well worth it. If you do decide to go, I'd suggest aiming to arrive 10 mins before the official start time. If the meeting time says 7pm, then that's when the bell will ding and the meeting proper starts. It's horrible having to walk in at that point. (It's only happened to a me a couple of times when I got lost and another time stuck in traffic). Ten minutes gives a chance to get your bearings (and a coffee), and settle.

Good luck at your first meeting of you decide to give it a go.

Wishing you all the best for your recovery. BB
Old 12-04-2016, 06:30 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
AA Member

aa saved my life

its a huge social club that even allows knuckleheads like me

theres some amazing people in aa

go to several different meetings before deciding anything

Old 12-05-2016, 03:20 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I utilized the support here on SR for the first 3 years of my sobriety. I, too, started having the same thoughts of needing to have more sober like-minded people in my life. I had been to AA meetings much earlier in my life so I knew what to expect. I'm grateful that I went. I met an awesome group of people and I have a solid core group of women in my life now. I even acquired a few sponsees that I'm grateful for to help share their recovery journey.
Old 12-05-2016, 03:26 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Give it a go.
Old 12-05-2016, 04:08 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

The more recovery tools we've got in
our toolbox and are used, then the more
likely we're bound to remain sober one
more day.

26 yrs ago I had no idea what AA
was and really had no idea I was as
sick as I was. However, when placed
into the hands of those capable of
teaching me about my addiction
and giving me a program of recovery
to learn and incorporate in all areas
of my life, then I began to heal and
become healthy, happy and honest
building a strong solid recovery
foundation to live my life upon for
many one days sober ahead of me.

I have never been alone on my
recovery journey because I have
the fellowship of you guys here
in SR, friendships of those met
in face to face meetings to either
call upon, reach out to when ever
I feel squirrely, new suggestions
to reboot, renew my own program
of recovery to live healthy and
happy.

So can you..!!
Old 12-05-2016, 04:35 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

might want to read the big book,too.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:10 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for all the advice and suggestions. I talked to a friend of mine who has been in aa before and he told me of a group that he thought I would like. It's a women's only group and it's this Wednesday. I'm going to give it a go. Posting on here because I feel it will help keep me accountable to go if I know I've told you all that I'm going .
Old 12-05-2016, 09:16 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

I think a women's meeting is a great place to start! There is a "newcomer" in our fellowship who has 25 years of sobriety--anybody can feel the need for more support!
Old 12-05-2016, 10:19 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

AA helped me to achieve contented sobriety. The fellowship just made it so much easier than going it alone. I added AA about a year after I had been sober and I'm so glad I did. They kept saying to wait for the miracle to happen. Little did I know the miracle was contented sobriety.
Old 12-07-2016, 08:43 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Well I went to my first AA meeting tonight. I sat outside a long time before gathering the courage to walk in. I'm so glad I did. 11 months sober and I have such a great support system of family, friends, and boyfriend; only problem is they aren't recovering alcoholics (which is a great thing!). Even though there was only one other person at this meeting it was so great to physically speak with another recovering alcoholic who has been in my shoes and understands to the core what I'm going through. I'm going to continue to go.

Thanks for all the words of encouragement and advice.