Notices

Leaning into fear and being uncomfortable

Old 12-02-2016, 03:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Leaning into fear and being uncomfortable

Hey everyone! I am learning just how much drinking can keep us from doing hard things and we like to stay in our cacoon of what is normal and comfortable. After drinking 15 years I never learned how to face my fears and I was always running and hiding in a bottle. I did something the other day that was really hard for me. I was too scared to tell my best friend I wanted to stop drinking and am going to AA so what did I do? I avoided her except for at work for 5 months. I felt bad and it was eating at me so I finally went to lunch and was completely honest. She was my main drinking buddy but she loves me and I know she would want me to be happy. It was like a huge piece of the puzzle fitting into place and now I don't have to hide. I felt like I was going to pass out! I have to get over the shame of this disease. I thought it might be nice to hear other people's fears they over came while getting sober
Old 12-02-2016, 03:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey, Linz. I was very ashamed of myself when I first stopped drinking. I felt like a big fat failure at life. How could I have let myself become a drunk? I told very few people, close family and my best friend, that I was no longer drinking. It's been 3 years, and I don't feel that way anymore. I don't go out of my way to tell people that I don't drink and why. But if it comes up, it comes up. Good luck. Sober is better.
Old 12-02-2016, 03:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes my close family knows and she is the closest friend I have. It wasn't one of those things I could just be like oh I don't drink anymore. She knows me all to well. I don't plan on telling people that don't really need to know. I was just so relieved!
Old 12-02-2016, 03:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Learning who I was as Sober me . . . that was pretty scary, I only had known for years drunk me, and now I was going to feel everything in real time, thoughts, emotions, feelings and fears, in the cold light of day who was I again and would I be able to handle not being able to escape or disappear and run from it inside a bottle anymore, would I even like or learn to like Sober me?

But you're right, every time we do something and push ourselves it's like another piece of the puzzle falling into place, at first my jigsaw was very empty, then I pieced the sides and the corners together, started to work on the the things I could see, the pieces with similar colours, the pieces that connected to the sides, and gradually the picture gradually came together, working closer and closer to the centre as time has passed.

Each time we put a piece of the puzzle on the table, the picture slowly starts to come more and more into focus!!
Old 12-02-2016, 05:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've just recently realized how much shame is a dominant emotion for me, not just the shame over drinking, but just in feeling generally worthless. I've begun to really notice the way I talk to myself, and am trying to change this. As a result I find myself hiding from people in various ways, hiding parts of myself for fear of ridicule or rejection. It's pretty exhausting doing this. I'm tired of it, but it's probably been a habit since I was very young, so....
Old 12-02-2016, 05:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yeah I have a hard time letting people in for fear of rejection or being judged. I'm very closed off and that's why it baffles me I sit in AA meetings being opened. I think everyone goes thru rough times and we need more honesty and realness in the world. Keeping my my struggle to myself may prevent someone else from getting help so I'm trying to be more open and maybe it will help someone else!
Old 12-02-2016, 06:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
sober style

Originally Posted by PurpleKnight View Post
But you're right, every time we do something and push ourselves it's like another piece of the puzzle falling into place, at first my jigsaw was very empty, then I pieced the sides and the corners together, started to work on the the things I could see, the pieces with similar colours, the pieces that connected to the sides, and gradually the picture gradually came together, working closer and closer to the centre as time has passed.

Each time we put a piece of the puzzle on the table, the picture slowly starts to come more and more into focus!!
I absolutely love this idea. I started doing jigsaws after I quit drinking. I keep an active one going on my dining room table. Sometimes it just seems impossible, but I've found if I just sit down and look a little, there's always some progress to be made. And the picture really does start to take shape before your eyes, such a magical feeling, just by trying consistently and not quitting. And such a rich metaphor for more important things!
Old 12-02-2016, 06:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PurpleKnight View Post
Learning who I was as Sober me . . . that was pretty scary, I only had known for years drunk me, and now I was going to feel everything in real time, thoughts, emotions, feelings and fears, in the cold light of day who was I again and would I be able to handle not being able to escape or disappear and run from it inside a bottle anymore, would I even like or learn to like Sober me?

Yes the more we face our fear we learn that no matter what it's going to be ok! It wasn't as bad as it was in our head. I'm definitely trying to figure out sober me. This is the first time I have been sober since I starting using drugs and alcohol at 15 so I have never gotten to know me!
Old 12-02-2016, 06:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ZenLifter View Post
I've just recently realized how much shame is a dominant emotion for me, not just the shame over drinking, but just in feeling generally worthless. I've begun to really notice the way I talk to myself, and am trying to change this. As a result I find myself hiding from people in various ways, hiding parts of myself for fear of ridicule or rejection. It's pretty exhausting doing this. I'm tired of it, but it's probably been a habit since I was very young, so....
I get it. I am my biggest critic! I am so loving towards everyone but myself and am trying to change that. Gotta push past hiding. I def don't think anyone is worthless. We all have a purpose
Old 12-02-2016, 10:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I didn't tell anyone other than my husband in the beginning, and he didn't really react since he had heard me say "I'm not going to drink anymore." On numerous occasions. As the months passed he realized I was serious this time. Over the past 11 months I have told a few close friends. Two of them have also stopped drinking, both have about three months sober now. They said I inspired them, which was a really nice thing to hear.

You can do this!
Old 12-03-2016, 05:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Delilah1 View Post
I didn't tell anyone other than my husband in the beginning, and he didn't really react since he had heard me say "I'm not going to drink anymore." On numerous occasions. As the months passed he realized I was serious this time. Over the past 11 months I have told a few close friends. Two of them have also stopped drinking, both have about three months sober now. They said I inspired them, which was a really nice thing to hear.

You can do this!
Oh that is a great story! That is my hope, will be to inspire people