Notices

Scared I have done permanent damage

Old 12-02-2016, 06:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Scared I have done permanent damage

Hi all

Let me be clear I am not asking for medical advice. I went to a doctor and received medical advice. I'm looking for people's own experiences in terms of having high liver enzymes and getting back to normal. Basically i'm just looking for hope that I am not doomed lol.

I'm a 34 year old obsese (5'5 190 pounds) female who has spiraled out of control in my drinking the last two to three years. (2 bottles of wine a day). Before that was always a heavy drinker but some personal problems occurred and I knew I had to stop.

I knew my levels were going to be high but nothing like this. (I had also just come off a bender the day I went to my doctor and was honest)

The doctor did a physical examination and palpated my liver and couldn't feel anything.

AST 242

ALT 167

GGT 313

All over tests are normal. (She ran the full gamut of blood work). She doesn't seem concerned says will come down with sobriety (I was fully honest with her) says I'm young this was to expected. She said if it was cirrhosis my liver function would be off and that it is totally fine. I am freaking out because of the AST/ALT ratio. No physical symptoms and platelet and RBC and everything else right smack dab in the middle. I've also never been hospitalized or anything like that I just knew it was time to stop drinking!!!

She says being overweight doesn't help either and losing weight and staying of the alcohol I will be fine. I'm also going to post this is the ALD forum but I"m freaking out here Sad

Is she right and I"m likely okay as long as I stay off booze for good ? Did your liver levels return to normal quickly?

(Haven't touched booze in a week since I Had my blood drawn). She suggested an ultrasound to put my mind at ease if I wanted but i think I'm too terrified for that. She initially said lets just check where we are in three months and as long as they are coming down you're fine.

Anyways been booze free since that day. Just got the results today and thus the freaking out
Old 12-02-2016, 06:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

seems to me the best course of action would be;

1 - remain sober
2 - continue to consult with a doctor

Old 12-02-2016, 06:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

What FreeOwl said, exactly.

I am just past nine months sober (284 days, to be exact). I quit cold turkey from a handle of vodka about every two days habit, there at the end - maybe a couple more drinks on top of that. That was for about the last six months of my drinking, and before it had pretty much been 2-3 bottles of wine a day for a good 5-6 years. With other types of drink of choice along the way.

I had the talking to of my life from a liver dr in Feb. I had been told before- three years before, actually- that I was on the brink of cirrhosis. I kept on drinking. By this year, I was simply....done. It was quit or die and I heard the message, finally.

The only way for me to get better was to stop and stay stopped. I was very scared but got all my tests too. I don't have some of the issues you have (I am 5'7 and a healthy weight), I have some others (a swing between hypo and hyper-thyroid, for example, which has to be monitored for the right dose of synthroid)....but sobriety has been the key to ALL of my health.

For me, the 100 day mark was a shift in a lot of things, physical and otherwise, and it was around then that all my tests were redone and were normal. Liver, iron (I was anemic), vit B, everything. I realize I am very fortunate. I do know that the body is amazing and it can heal from a lot of things. There is a point to which you can push your liver and it tips over- again, stopping and staying stopped is the only way to effect this that is in YOUR control.

You are very early days (congrats on the time!) and I know it is easy to live in the fear and anxiety over what you (may) have done to your body. It takes time to heal.

For me, I had to face the facts and then act accordingly. Living in fear sucked- now, sober, I don't have to fear that my drinking is going to be the WHY to whatever physical ailments will come. I'm 40 so i know there will be some, whatever they are, in the coming years I get to live.

What's your plan for staying sober?

Good luck- stay sober. It sounds like dr's guidance is important for you in a lot of ways. I'll close by saying that looking at our total physical health is even more important for an alcoholic than it is for other folks.
Old 12-02-2016, 06:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Scared

Do you trust your dr? I mean, is she a good dr in your experience? Then trust what she says. If not, see another dr. If she recommends the ultra sound, do it. I completely understand the irrational fear....its kind of what drove/drives my life if I let it. But knowing and not knowing don't change reality, just may change how you deal with your situation from a medical perspective.

Do what your dr tells you to do. Lose some lbs and don't drink. You can do this....try not to future trip and 'freak out' about things you can't control. Do what is in your control, it will empower you. Do it daily.

This is where faith comes in for me, big time. I have cancer and that is scary. But I found out it was back early and I'm treating it. That is all I can do. And I'm pretty sure I'm going to be fine. Yay. I'm not positive yet but I'm hopeful. And flipping out doesn't help. I say to myself, when I'm frightened, 'thy will be done'. I know, that in itself can be scary, but being centered and calm is critical for me. Not only does it threaten my recovery to live in a state of fear, but it taxes my body, which won't help.

Hang in there. 90 days of good living and I think your liver will let you know its much happier!
Old 12-02-2016, 06:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

^^To what frick said....there is not one single thing that drinking helps. It only hurts, whether you're an alcoholic or not. So taking that out of the equation can logically mean only neutral to (often) good things for our bodies.
Old 12-02-2016, 06:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by ScaredSober34 View Post
Just got the results today and thus the freaking out.
Don't freak out so much that drinking sounds like a good idea.

Being scared sober is one way to come to the decision to quit. But it's usually not long lasting or sufficient by itself for long term recovery. I hope that now that you are a member of SR, that you will read around the site and see how important a plan is for long-term success.
Old 12-02-2016, 06:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My blood work all came back normal after being sober six months. Trust your doctor and do what she says: stay sober and lose weight.
Old 12-02-2016, 09:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Lots of good advice here already. Try to have some faith in your doctor or see another if you don't trust the results.

Even asking for "personal experience" is akin to asking for medical advice when you ask if others liver levels have returned to normal. There are way too many factors involved for anyone else's personal experience to be a relevant factor in your recovery.

Having said that, the liver is a very resilient organ, one of the most resilient in our body. It sounds like your doctor has some good advice and did not seem too worried about the levels at this time. And as they mentioned, there are plenty of other factors ( weight, activity , diet, etc ) that can all affect your levels so staying on top of them is of utmost importance. The highest and most critical component is to not drink any more alchol of course. Have you considered a formal plan or program to help you in that respect?
Old 12-02-2016, 10:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I once had elevated liver levels and went in for an ultrasound and was found to have fatty liver (I also was overweight) Heavy drinking plus eating a poor diet puts a double whammy on your liver.
The ultrasound might be a good idea, but at the least you know you have to stop drinking, also getting on a clean diet and your weight under control will likely do wonders for your health.
Old 12-02-2016, 11:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum ScaredSober!!
Old 12-02-2016, 03:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

how are you feeling now scaredsober?
do you have a recovery plan at all? any ideas?
D

Last edited by Dee74; 12-02-2016 at 05:55 PM.
Old 12-02-2016, 04:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
sober style

Getting bad liver tests in 2015 and then being horribly scared that I had cirrhosis and associated ascites is what finally motivated me to quit drinking, thank God I finally wised up. There's a great Samuel Johnson quote: Depend upon it, sir, when a man knows he is to be hanged in a fortnight, it concentrates his mind wonderfully.
Old 12-02-2016, 05:30 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Back in 2013 my ALT was 264 and my AST was 171. In 6 months all of my levels went back to normal with abstinence. I had the same fears. I asked my doctor if I could get additional testing done and he was ok with it. I had an ultrasound done which came back normal. I would request further testing with your current doctor if you're concerned.

Unfortunately, as well, fast forwarding to further relapses, I would go on week long benders last year and my enzymes shot right back up to around the same. Hopefully you take this as a wake up call to help ensure you stay stopped. I know when I noticed my testing come back normal it was a green light for me to keep on, but you only get so many chances.
Old 12-02-2016, 08:35 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Have you made your plan, your decision about continuing to use alcohol? Do you think it would be a good idea to stop for good? Every day, people make that decision about ever drinking again, under any circumstances. Unconditional sobriety. You can be one of them. Yup, 'just like that'. It might not be easy, but it sure is simple. Life is so much better healthy and free. You can!
Old 12-02-2016, 09:54 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

The good thing is not drinking will automatically have positive impacts on your health. I would listen to the doctor and get the ultrasounds although you are nervous about the results, sometimes not knowing can make you more anxious.

Drinking had caused me to gain weight as well. I have lost 43 pounds since January, which puts my BMI in the healthy weight range.

You can do this!
Old 12-03-2016, 04:27 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
2/2016

I have lost 40 pounds in 10 months sober. Really watched the carbs, but it was the beer mainly, all those useless calories.

Best of luck to you!