Notices

Day 4 underway.

Old 12-01-2016, 08:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 4 underway.

Day 4 underway. I am going to go to my Dr tomorrow and discuss with him me going on antibuse. I realize this is a drastic step. Drastic problems sometimes require drastic steps.
My pattern is to get 4 to 8 days alcohol free and then I pick up a drink and it takes me a couple of weeks or more to find my way back here.
So I am choosing to be proactive and try to break this pattern. What I have heard about the ill effects of drinking even a tiny bit while on antibuse scares me enough to not drink. I know this is just a theory but it is one I am willing to explore.

Anyone else try this approach? I am bound and determined to stay sober this time.

asixstringnut
Old 12-01-2016, 08:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
AA Member

glad youre willing to do what it takes

God bless

Old 12-01-2016, 08:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I went to my Dr last month and we had a long talk regarding my chronic alcoholism. I am now on Day 22 using antabuse for the first time. No thoughts at all of drinking because of the severe side effects. She also prescribed 60 days Ativan for withdrawal anxiety. This is working great for me. Not anxious at all, the AV has all but disappeared and I feel great. I have a six month supply and plan on developing a plan to get off antabuse after that. But in the meantime I feel like my brain is rewiring itself and I feel physically good. The mental challenge is next, but in the meantime I feel this was the best decision for me.
Old 12-01-2016, 02:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

hows it going asixstringnut?

D
Old 12-01-2016, 03:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
hows it going asixstringnut?

D
Hey Dee. Having a good day. How about you?
My body aches and I have a headache but nothing I cant live with.

Thanks asixstringnut
Old 12-02-2016, 09:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Day 4 is in the bank and I am on day 5. Wow I feel so much better today. The fog has cleared out of my head and I actually have some spring and my step and I am smiling.
I am officially on antabuse as of today. My plan is to take it twice a week. Fridays and Tuesdays as discussed with my Dr. My problems seem to happen on the weekends so I hope this will be a good deterrent to not drink on the weekends. I don't mind having the extra help to get me over the hump.
So today I am grateful that I don't have to drink today.

asixstringnut
Old 12-02-2016, 10:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good for you Asixstringnut! Yea, I guess it does sound drastic, but we have to do whatever it takes. I'll look for you around this weekend for any updates!
Old 12-02-2016, 10:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Upstairs View Post
Good for you Asixstringnut! Yea, I guess it does sound drastic, but we have to do whatever it takes. I'll look for you around this weekend for any updates!
Upstairs
Thanks for the reply. I am so committed to quit and more so stay quit I am willing to do drastic if needed.
I am so sick of drinking and the feelings that come with
drinking .Thanks

asixstringnut
Old 12-02-2016, 11:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Day 5 is fantastic Asixstringnut!! Keep pushing through!!
Old 12-03-2016, 10:14 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Made it through day 5 and into day 6.

Sleeping much better, my head is clearing out. I actually feel pretty human today.

sixstring
Old 12-03-2016, 12:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Congratulations sixstring, i'm glad it is going well
Old 12-03-2016, 01:44 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Glad to hear this!

I took antabuse successfully- finally- for the first 90 days of my sobriety. It is a great drug when used correctly under a dr supervision.

Just curious- why twice a week? mine was daily - my dr had me keep a log that I signed and a witness signed every time I took it; she has some patients she has come into the office to get their doses. I am assuming your dosage is different so that is why it is 2x a week? Taken at your dr's? Just curious since I hadn't heard about it being done this way.

Keep going! You can do it!
Old 12-03-2016, 02:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I was curious about your dosage too since I just started a little over 3 weeks ago I was put on 2 weeks 500mg every day and I am now on maintenance 250 mg everyday. My Dr says its more initially since it needs to build up in your body. I do take mine myself at home. Obviously you are following your doctor's recommendation. I just hadn't heard of that in all my research before I asked my Dr to prescribe it to me.
Old 12-04-2016, 09:24 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
Glad to hear this!

I took antabuse successfully- finally- for the first 90 days of my sobriety. It is a great drug when used correctly under a dr supervision.

Just curious- why twice a week? mine was daily - my dr had me keep a log that I signed and a witness signed every time I took it; she has some patients she has come into the office to get their doses. I am assuming your dosage is different so that is why it is 2x a week? Taken at your dr's? Just curious since I hadn't heard about it being done this way.

Keep going! You can do it!
August. I am on 250 mg. The reasoning on twice a week is that it stays in your system for up to 14 day. I am sure you don't get as sick if you took it after being off of it for 14 days. This is by no means medical advise.
My problem seems to be the weekends so I started this on Friday to help me get through the weekend and will take another on Tuesday to keep me going through the week.
I must admit the thought of getting as sick as they say you do on the stuff has pretty much killed my desire to drink. For me it is not an option right now.
Also I am a light weight when it comes to being sick so I do not even want to go there with the antabuse. Again this is what my Dr and I discussed with him knowing my drinking problems.

Thanks

sixstringnut
Old 12-04-2016, 09:25 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KissMyTiara View Post
I was curious about your dosage too since I just started a little over 3 weeks ago I was put on 2 weeks 500mg every day and I am now on maintenance 250 mg everyday. My Dr says its more initially since it needs to build up in your body. I do take mine myself at home. Obviously you are following your doctor's recommendation. I just hadn't heard of that in all my research before I asked my Dr to prescribe it to me.
KissMyT

See my answer above.

Thanks asixstringnut.
Old 12-04-2016, 09:35 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

So I am on day 7. Yippie. I am taking antabuse to help me get over the hump. I am going to continue to take it until I feel like I can go without alcohol with out it.
I did not sleep well last night. Ice cream and chocolate probably did not help the sleep much.
I am feeling more confident and am ready to start week 2. But for now I need to make it through this day.

Do any of you think that antabuse is some how cheating? This thought just came into my brain.

I don't have to drink today.

asixstringnut
Old 12-04-2016, 09:42 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Antabuse is helping you stay sober with a doctor's help. Nothing cheating about it.

Congratulations on getting through day 4...it was my worse day by far. I spent it curled up on the couch and I was never about quantities, I was more of a really, really consistent drinker. Dedicated, even.

Rock on with your sober self!
Old 12-04-2016, 09:54 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Do your best

Grats on a week sober
Old 12-04-2016, 03:19 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

I really hope it makes things easier asixstringnut

D
Old 12-04-2016, 04:12 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Good for you. And I don't think it's "cheating" at all. When it comes to alcoholics, we have to do whatever it takes to stay sober. And that is far better than being drunk any day.