Notices

Anyone Have Experience/Advice For Tapering?

Old 11-30-2016, 07:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anyone Have Experience/Advice For Tapering?

Hi All,

I've once again found myself in a position where I can't stop my nightly drinking. I find that the very thought of not drinking makes me anxious, depressed, panicked, and well terrified.

I'm wondering if attempting a taper might make it easier. I've got to do something. My concern is that once I start drinking tonight, I won't be able to stop myself until I'm nice and drunk... So, I'm wondering if anyone else has used a tapering off strategy to become sober? What advice do you have? Strategy?

I might be a good candidate for tapering given my very "controlled" drinking ritual. I'm a wine drinker, start at about 9:00 pm, drink about a bottle and a half, or until I get to the drunk place I love, then conk out into bed by about 11:00. Like I said, I'm not certain I'll be able to stop short of that drunk spot (for even a night, let alone an entire tapering period), but right now I feel like it's my only shot.
Old 11-30-2016, 07:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I will be the first in what I think will be a long line of people who say we've tried the tapering, but exactly as you wrote, most of us can't draw the line once we've started.
I know in the UK (from reading here a lot) that Dr's there seem to think tapering is an easy and doable solution. In practice it doesn't seem to go well for most of us.
Good luck whatever you do - but I will add - most of us who got sober just had to give it up and declare a day 1.
Old 11-30-2016, 07:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

You say you think you are a good candidate for tapering. But you also said:

Originally Posted by johnt99 View Post
My concern is that once I start drinking tonight, I won't be able to stop myself until I'm nice and drunk...
That lack of control once you start drinking is why you aren't a good candidate for tapering.

Unless you have someone to dole out your wine.
Old 11-30-2016, 07:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Tapering never worked for me. Cutting down never worked. The only thing that worked was stopping altogether. I was anxious and panicked at the thought of quitting, too, but that feeling went away pretty quickly once I stopped. What I realized was that a lot of my anxiety came directly from the alcohol itself. I did have an underlying anxiety disorder, but not a serious one. The alcohol exacerbated it. Maybe give just stopping a try. If you are worried about withdrawal, seek medical advice before you stop. I realize in the UK a lot of doctors will recommend tapering - not sure why, but I think you will hear from most people here that it didn't work for them. Whatever you choose, good luck.
Old 11-30-2016, 08:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Tapering didn't work for me, and ultimately made things worse.
Old 11-30-2016, 08:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
AA Member

reminds me of the book

Here are some of the methods we have tried: Drinking beer only, limiting the number of drinks, never drinking alone, never drinking in the morning, drinking only at home, never having it in the house, never drinking during business hours, drinking only at parties, switching from scotch to brandy, drinking only natural wines, agreeing to resign if ever drunk on the job, taking a trip, not taking a trip, swearing off forever (with and without a solemn oath), taking more physical exercise, reading inspirational books, going to health farms and sanitariums, accepting voluntary commitment to asylums - we could increase the list ad infinitum.

Old 11-30-2016, 10:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm in the minority, but I tapered successfully a couple times. It requires extreme discipline, and you will still experience some uncomfortable periods. If you don't think you have that discipline, its not likely to work because its too easy to get to that comfortable buzz feeling. That's not where you want to be when tapering.
Old 11-30-2016, 11:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

As Thomas said, we might be in the minority, but tapering has helped me to get to day one and beyond a couple of times. It basically helps me getting day one to happen. Tapering might also help to ease the hangover, and I find getting through day one hangover free helps a lot. My tapering was mainly to switch from wine to beer, and having fewer beers each day. I always fixed a quit day (3 or 4 days ahead) when starting to taper. I've got two months sober coming up.

No harm in trying - if it does not work out you know that you have to go cold turkey, with some help if necessary.
Old 11-30-2016, 12:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for the thoughts and advice everyone. Interesting to hear the different perspectives and encouraging to hear it has worked for some.

The thing that has prevented me from quitting thus far has been the terrifying idea of not drinking that night, so maybe allowing myself some will ease the transition. As CaptainHaddock said above, no harm in trying. I'm committed to quitting, so if this doesn't work, my next plan of action is going cold turkey.
Old 11-30-2016, 02:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I too tapered in the past a few times, I only ever drank beers so instead of drinking 14,the next day I'd step down to 12,then 10,then 8,then finally 6 for about 3 days then just stop,it helps to put off having a drink for awhile, you say you start at 9 maybe hold off til 10,I live in the U.S and the doc still said to taper, he told my mom that too but she just uses it as an excuse to drink every night, you have to WANT to quit or it won't work at all,wishing you strength