Notices

Getting there ever so slowly

Old 11-29-2016, 07:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Getting there ever so slowly

So I have finally ended my 5 day curse. I am on day 9. I know it is extremely early days and I have a very long way to go but I will continue to push through.

Both FrickaFlip and SwtPea inspired me since our stories were so similar. I have known for a while that I was done with drinking but for some reason I kept thinking, "oh just a little longer and then I'll quit". Stupid AV.

I will continue to read and post when I am feeling low. So many inspiring stories on here.
Old 11-29-2016, 08:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey there
Congrats on day 9! Keep up the good work
Old 11-29-2016, 08:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Shelly, prayers and my thoughts and our support to you. PJ
Old 11-29-2016, 08:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great job, keep it up!!!
Old 11-29-2016, 08:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congratulations. Nine days is great. I had the four day curse, and man, it was for a long time.
I tried to not look too far ahead once I got serious about quitting. Just today. It adds up.
You're a miracle in the making.
Best to you.
Old 11-29-2016, 08:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
MrBrad

Great job. Just keep going. I know it feels odd at first. It's like you are going against the grain, but soon it will feel natural.
Old 11-30-2016, 10:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Day 9 is fantastic!! Keep it going!!
Old 11-30-2016, 06:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks so much to all of you for your encouraging words. I realize I've been on this site for a while and you'd think I know the answer to my own question but last night I had terrible anxiety and hardly slept (day 9) and now even worse anxiety today.

I'm not sure why my anxiety levels are so heightened *now*. I would have thought this would have happened in the first few days.

I have been on anti-anxiety/anti depressants for most of my adult life and I have been taking them faithfully since I quit drinking. Of course they did not work for the past few years since the alcohol worked against them.

Also, so many of you suggested eating something sweet when the craving for alcohol hits, but to be honest, I still have no appetite.

I won't ask "is this normal" because I know that we are all so different. But did any of you experience this?
Old 11-30-2016, 07:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Just do one day at a time! I found I didn't feel better until after 3 months mentally. I immediately went to having ice cream instead of alcohol for awhile. I have now stopped doing that but I've never had a problem with no appetite! Keep it going and lots of deep breaths !
Old 11-30-2016, 07:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congrats on 9 days
Old 11-30-2016, 08:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Shell, congrats on day 9. Or is it 10 today? I'm just wrapping up day 9 myself. Regarding your sudden burst of anxiety, I've experienced random periods of that during my attempts at sobriety. The last one I had was almost certainly due to me drinking three large cups of coffee. I limit my caffeine intake generally, so for me to suddenly drink that much coffee sent my brain into a tizzy.

If you get more of those bouts, you should certainly see a doctor if they concern you, but you may want to also look back on your diet and consider if you had any sudden abnormal changes that possibly trigger anxiety for you.
Old 11-30-2016, 08:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

SoberLifeForMe,

Thanks so much for your reply. I actually cut all caffeine out of my life about 3 years ago. I know what it can do to my anxiety levels and even while drinking I managed to stop consuming caffeinated and decaf coffee/tea/sodas, etc.

I have a counselor that I see on a regular basis and she has been helping me a lot with my anxiety.

I am a cancer survivor (12 years) but it doesn't help that I found out last week that it has returned.

I am really trying hard to stay the course.
Old 11-30-2016, 08:58 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Shell shocked,

I'm sorry your cancer has returned, that coupled with early sobriety would certainly increase your anxiety.

I am sending lots of love and calming breaths your way.

❤️ Delilah
Old 11-30-2016, 09:12 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank you Delilah1... what a crazy ride.

I was actually 38 years old when I was first diagnosed. Back then I watched my diet like a hawk, only drank moderately on the weekends and was actually quite fit since I taught fitness classes for several years. I gave up living and consigned myself to death.

And now, I am actually more optimistic. My son has become an adult from age 7 when I was first diagnosed to age 19. I think that helps. I have had one hell of a ride.... No regrets. :-)
Old 11-30-2016, 09:18 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Shellshocked444 View Post
Thanks so much to all of you for your encouraging words. I realize I've been on this site for a while and you'd think I know the answer to my own question but last night I had terrible anxiety and hardly slept (day 9) and now even worse anxiety today.

I'm not sure why my anxiety levels are so heightened *now*. I would have thought this would have happened in the first few days.

I have been on anti-anxiety/anti depressants for most of my adult life and I have been taking them faithfully since I quit drinking. Of course they did not work for the past few years since the alcohol worked against them.

Also, so many of you suggested eating something sweet when the craving for alcohol hits, but to be honest, I still have no appetite.

I won't ask "is this normal" because I know that we are all so different. But did any of you experience this?
Shellshock
It has be 28 days for me and im feeling much better......first 2 weeks were rough.....sweats diarrhea headache fatigue and my head was in a fog.....but I will tell i feel alive again im enjoying the little things in life again and i don't have that nagging feeling of.....i have to go to the package store and it's almost 5 pm gotta go home and drink.....it's no way to live.
Old 11-30-2016, 09:22 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thank you so much Swtpea. You inspired me! I keep trying to take deep breaths but I have a feeling this is going to be another sleepless night. When the heck does this stupid anxiety subside and sleep kicks in??

I am so grateful for all of you!
Old 12-01-2016, 09:41 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I have realized in the last few days that it is only me that has to do "this". So ridiculous but to be honest, I thought that posts from people on this site would help.

The posts helped somewhat but....

It is all about ME.

Thanks again to all of you.
Old 12-02-2016, 07:03 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I'd say give the anti-anxiety/depression drugs a chance to start working like they should. I was on them for years while still drinking also - and of course they didn't work like they were supposed to. It took me a few weeks after quitting drinking to feel like the drugs were really working. And - it takes longer than you think to get all the effects from the alcohol out of your system. I had terrible anxiety for a while after I quit. It did settle down. Now I don't even need the drugs anymore.
Old 12-02-2016, 07:30 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
AA Member

Originally Posted by Delilah1 View Post
Great job, keep it up!!!
Old 12-02-2016, 06:06 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

January and MLD, thanks so much for your posts. I was in a really rough spot last night. Feeling a little better today but like everyone says, "just take one day at a time".

I have to quit trying to rush everything. I forget how much damage I did and for how long.