Notices

Peace & Calm VS Anxiety

Old 11-29-2016, 09:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Peace & Calm VS Anxiety

In my 5 days of Sobriety, Instead of getting buzzed and WASTING time on the computer- Ive just gone to bed to read , cozy , relaxed. PEACEFUL and feeling great about the victory .
Peace (in my life) Calm (in my mind) are my long term goals.
I created my own prison (Yes, I hear the Creed song playing) by drinking.
I created my own Anxiety by trying to avoid anxiety.
Peace, calm.
Old 11-29-2016, 09:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The lack of drama, chaos, and anxiety in my life because of my not drinking is something that I'm grateful for every single day! Such great points you bring up!
Old 11-29-2016, 10:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by livingnow View Post
Peace (in my life) Calm (in my mind) are my long term goals.
I created my own prison (Yes, I hear the Creed song playing) by drinking.
I created my own Anxiety by trying to avoid anxiety.
Peace, calm.
Yes, me too. Drink, causes chaos and then the attendant anxiety.....as a consequence of which, I'd drink more, cause more chaos (plus devastation after blackouts) ad infinitum.

Once the precipating factor of alcohol is withdrawn and the withdrawals abate, peace and calm can be nurtured through self-care, excercise, meditation, eating well etc.

I adore my new found clarity of mind, after 20 years of alcohol addiction, it's such a relief. As a consequence of freedom form addiction, I'm rediscovering myself, and the beautiful world surrounding me; plus my long lost abilities.

Who knows, and with a clear mind, perhaps I can make up for lost time. I've certainly grown and flourished since becoming a non-drinker, compared with the rotting, stagnant mess of a human-being I became, drenched in alcohol.
Old 11-30-2016, 06:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

What a great post! I admire you for getting this kind of clarity in only 5 days of sobriety.

I never thought that peace and serenity could ever exist in my life. I didn't know it was all up to ME and my own mind....

I love this: "I created my own anxiety by trying to avoid anxiety." I never realized this until my current therapist told me this is part of my OCD. I "feel" anxious, I am afraid of any feelings good or bad, I try to escape from them, but the more I try to escape from anxiety, the more the anxiety grows....
Old 11-30-2016, 08:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
AA Member

hi livingnow

Old 11-30-2016, 08:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Peace and calm are some of the greatest gifts of sobriety. I used to be a ball of anxiety and worry. Constantly fearful of people and situations. Baffled by life. Unsure of myself and my decision making. Now, sober, I worry a lot less. I calmly approach decisions. I have faith that there is a solution to everything, even if I can't be part of the solution. I can let go of things I have no control over. Life is so so much better sober.
Old 11-30-2016, 11:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sobriety keeps on giving . . . fantastic!!