Notices

Stomach bloating and liver fullness

Old 11-27-2016, 04:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Stomach bloating and liver fullness

I know this is not a place to give medical advice. This is a question I will ask my doctor. I wanted to know what people's personal experiences are with experiencing stomach bloat and fatty liver after stopping alcohol. I know bodies don't heal overnight and it will take time.
Old 11-27-2016, 05:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

The vast majority of of physical symptoms had disappeared by 90 days
Old 11-27-2016, 05:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MIRecovery View Post
The vast majority of of physical symptoms had disappeared by 90 days
Thanks for sharing. I know we are all different and as I said, I'm going to ask my doc, but it's nice to hear stories of people who have lived it.
Old 11-27-2016, 05:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My story is I was diagnosed with alcoholic hepatitis (inflammation) a year before I stopped drinking. My liver enzymes were 2-3 times that normal levels.

I quit drinking completely and had a CT Scan with dye contrast, blood work, 18 months after I stopped drinking and my liver was completely healed.

It took complete and total abstinence. Period.
Old 11-27-2016, 05:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That is exactly my plan Melinda. I can't ever go through withdrawals and this nightmare again.
Old 11-27-2016, 05:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NatVT View Post
That is exactly my plan Melinda. I can't ever go through withdrawals and this nightmare again.
Good. And you don't have to. Some people drink for 30 years without liver damage. Others, like me, drink for 10 and have serious problems.

I can't put into words how nice it is to not be hungover every day.
Old 11-27-2016, 06:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MelindaFlowers View Post
Good. And you don't have to. Some people drink for 30 years without liver damage. Others, like me, drink for 10 and have serious problems.

I can't put into words how nice it is to not be hungover every day.
I can't wait to get up and feel refreshed. Day by day is all I can do right now.
Old 11-28-2016, 10:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The body is a great piece of kit . . . given the chance it can turn things around!!
Old 11-28-2016, 12:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I too had alcoholic hepatitis and I was on the verrrrry brink of cirrhosis. I quit cold turkey in Feb. By the 90-100 day mark when I had everything retested- I had been anemic, vit B deficient, etc, all the typical things an alcoholic shows- and everything was in the middle of normal. Amazing given the abuse I had heaped on my body for years.

My liver protrusion went away pretty quickly. I stopped having pain in my sides, lower back, kidney areas, everything pretty quickly. I keep saying quickly bc 100 days or the five-six weeks I typically describe as my really sick time, is very short compared to the rest of my life - and it's short compared to now 9 months of sobriety.

You have to stay sober, completely, and give your body the best chance to heal.

Good luck.
Old 11-28-2016, 12:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
I too had alcoholic hepatitis and I was on the verrrrry brink of cirrhosis. I quit cold turkey in Feb. By the 90-100 day mark when I had everything retested- I had been anemic, vit B deficient, etc, all the typical things an alcoholic shows- and everything was in the middle of normal. Amazing given the abuse I had heaped on my body for years.

My liver protrusion went away pretty quickly. I stopped having pain in my sides, lower back, kidney areas, everything pretty quickly. I keep saying quickly bc 100 days or the five-six weeks I typically describe as my really sick time, is very short compared to the rest of my life - and it's short compared to now 9 months of sobriety.

You have to stay sober, completely, and give your body the best chance to heal.

Good luck.
Thank you so much. I already feel that my liver has gone down some in just 4 days. I know there's still quite a ways to go, but it's already promising. I'm coming up on my 96 hours. I don't ever want to go through what I went through. I mean, it hasn't been terrible, but I know just how much worse it will be if I relapse.

Thanks for sharing your story. I'm so encouraged reading people's personal struggles and successes.