Notices

Quit alcohol or die...

Old 11-27-2016, 03:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Quit alcohol or die...

Hi I am an older lady with multiple problems, all of which are probably alcohol related: gastritis, gerd, HBP, high cholesterol, and debilitating colitis (when flaring), anxiety and depression.

I didn't start drinking until in my 30s, but by my 40s I was drinking a bottle of wine per day. I am now 65 and average 4-10 units of vodka a day. I start around 5 pm and am usually in bed by 8 pm. Lately I've been feeling so horrible, very high anxiety, and nausea/dry heaves -- this election brought me to new depths of despair, an increased alcohol intake, and I've been in hiding for over 10 days. So 2 days ago I started to taper, vowing this is my last liter bottle. I dropped from 10 to 8 to 6 units. First night I was fine but woke up with sleep paralysis (terrifying). Last night I had interrupted sleep, sweats and hot flashes. Today so far so good--at least only mild shakes. NO appetite. Lots of abdominal discomfort. Anxiety levels so far are okay.

My MD encouraged me before to quit and gave me a Rx for 10 days Ativan. I will contact her office in the morning and try again. Last time I attempted a taper I became a shivering mass of paranoia, so I'm taking it a little more slowly this time. Oh, and I did have a 2 -14 year period of sobriety 2006-2008. So, 8 solid years of drinking! Wish me luck and thanks for all the info here.

Old 11-27-2016, 03:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Zengrrl

You'll find a lot fo support and understanding here. Drinking was the major part of my life for 20 years - but there is life after that - in fact it's far better than the life I had as a drinker

I'm glad you've found us!

D
Old 11-27-2016, 03:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Glad to have you with us, zengrrl. I'm also happy you'll be contacting your doctor about quitting. Best wishes in your recovery!
Old 11-27-2016, 03:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I am glad you found us and decided to post. I was older too when I began drinking, not until my mid-forties, but I wasted no time at all in becoming an alcoholic. I'm glad you are talking to your dr. We do understand how hard this is.
Old 11-27-2016, 04:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome, hope you will be able to quit for good this time. Sounds like you've had some sober time before, so you know what wonderful things it can bring. Peace of mind being one.
Old 11-27-2016, 05:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Older lady too

Originally Posted by zengrrl View Post
Hi I am an older lady with multiple problems, all of which are probably alcohol related: gastritis, gerd, HBP, high cholesterol, and debilitating colitis (when flaring), anxiety and depression.

I didn't start drinking until in my 30s, but by my 40s I was drinking a bottle of wine per day. I am now 65 and average 4-10 units of vodka a day. I start around 5 pm and am usually in bed by 8 pm. Lately I've been feeling so horrible, very high anxiety, and nausea/dry heaves -- this election brought me to new depths of despair, an increased alcohol intake, and I've been in hiding for over 10 days. So 2 days ago I started to taper, vowing this is my last liter bottle. I dropped from 10 to 8 to 6 units. First night I was fine but woke up with sleep paralysis (terrifying). Last night I had interrupted sleep, sweats and hot flashes. Today so far so good--at least only mild shakes. NO appetite. Lots of abdominal discomfort. Anxiety levels so far are okay.

My MD encouraged me before to quit and gave me a Rx for 10 days Ativan. I will contact her office in the morning and try again. Last time I attempted a taper I became a shivering mass of paranoia, so I'm taking it a little more slowly this time. Oh, and I did have a 2 -14 year period of sobriety 2006-2008. So, 8 solid years of drinking! Wish me luck and thanks for all the info here.

Hi older lady here too. 10 months ago I stopped my booze/pill slumber. What helped me at first, was going into a female only rehab for five weeks. It was the hardest time in my life and I felt at moments that I would never make it. But I did, with the support of my tired family and an open, very afraid mind. I have not looked back and each day gets better. YOU can do this! Talk to an AA gal, check out SMART, lots of info on this wonderful site. Please save yourself.
Old 11-27-2016, 05:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi, Welcome to SR Zen

Peace X
Old 11-27-2016, 06:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

thanks everyone

I will take all your advice to heart. Especially the bit about all women 5-day from my new friend <3 graced333. This is going to be a rough road but death is the alternative. I will be strong!
Old 11-27-2016, 06:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Living the life

Welcome from another older woman. 38 days sober and yes it does get better. I hope you stick around
Old 11-27-2016, 06:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Happy to have you with us, zengrrl. It helps to be in good company.

I drank 30 yrs. I could never imagine my life without it. I thought nothing would ever be fun again. Yet I had to admit at the end of my drinking career - it was far from enjoyable. I was drinking so I wouldn't shake. I didn't feel anything, & life was joyless. I was putting myself in danger every day. I, too, felt death was near if I didn't stop. When I found SR it was just the thing to get me started on my new path. I hope you'll feel the same. Welcome!
Old 11-27-2016, 06:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm a woman in her mid 50's. I have attempted quits many times before and the anxiety was crazy. and I couldn't make it. My Dr prescribed 15 days Ativan. I am now on day 19 an the medication has been extremely helpful to me.
Old 11-27-2016, 06:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I started drinking in my 40's. I'm in my 50's now and have just quit drinking again. I'm on day 7.We can do this. I didn't want to go to AA but made myself do it. I guess the support alone helps because it makes me feel stronger. Consider some support.
Old 11-27-2016, 07:05 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome ZG, it is wonderful you are here.
You can do this, your health is sure to improve.
I had so many health issues before I got sober among them was the literally crippling flare-ups of rheumatoid arthritis.
Over 3 years sober now and apart from an occasional bit of mild inflammation treatable with OTC medication most of my health issues are all but gone.
Old 11-27-2016, 07:08 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Older lady here too. Welcome to the family. Thanks to this site (and the counselor I used to see), I will have seven years sober next month. If I can do it, anyone can.
Old 11-28-2016, 07:52 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

how are you doing today?
Old 11-28-2016, 08:24 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hey, zengrrl!

I'm an older lady too, and very glad to have stopped drinking. There are some good women's meetings in your area, why not go to one? I know there's one at 11AM on MWF in Lake City.

Look up meetings online.
Old 11-28-2016, 09:14 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome! Detox is terrible. I do suggest you ask about an inpatient detox. I tried to detox myself the Ativan route and I just couldn't do it. I was so sick. I totally relate to the shivering paranoid mess you describe....detox is terrible. But you can get through it! Stick with this! Life is so much better sober!!
Old 11-28-2016, 09:17 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I hope you are doing well today!
Old 11-28-2016, 09:40 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I'm also in my mid-50's and started drinking in earnest since 2008. I have been in rehab three times. The longest I stayed sober was 79 days. I cannot afford the time to go back into rehab so I started my recovery journey on my own. I have been sober for 12 days and SR has been instrumental in helping me to stick with the program. Zengrrl, you can do it - one day at a time.
Old 11-28-2016, 10:06 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

Zengrrl,

You can do this. Use the prescription as needed; it will definitely make you more comfortable. Give in to any cravings except for alcohol. With each passing day, it will become easier. If you're feeling really 'off' don't hesitate to seek medical attention.

I am sure your health will dramatically improve with each sober day! You can do this!